Johnson What would YOU DO about Aleppo?

Originally posted by oldsoul
And what, pray tell, would you replace the vast power vacuum with?

Syria and Iraq with their artificial borders and minority Alawite\Hachemite\Sunni government were a creation of Anglo-French imperialism in the Middle East.

The "new" Iraq is the same artificial country with an equally unwanted Shiite government.

Israel is the result of the marriage between british imperialism and Zionism a nineteenth century european colonization movement.

The West can keep these 3 political anomalies alive for decades to come, as Flacaltenn seems to want, but 100 years from now the native people of Syria and Iraq will still be fighting the foreign imposition of borders that totally disregarded their wishes and the native people of Palestine will still be fighting for their right to live in Haifa, Askhelon and Jaffa.

What Flac and apparently you fail to realize is that the desire to undo 100 years of european colonialism will outlive Isis, the PA, the PLO and Hamas.

So I'd suggest replacing the "vast power vaccuum" with what the peoples of Syria and Iraq clearly wish:

Borders based on ethnicity and religion not on anglo-french under the table agreements.

Last edited:
Syria and Iraq with their artificial borders and minority Alawite\Hachemite\Sunni government were a creation of Anglo-French imperialism in the Middle East.....
Agreed about the artificiality of the borders, but let's not forget that those borders were cut from the cloth of the Ottoman Empire....which chose the wrong side in WWI. If the Ottomans had stayed out of the war or if they'd picked the side of the West, we wouldn't have those artificial borders.

And what, pray tell, would you replace the vast power vacuum with?

Syria and Iraq with their artificial borders and minority Alawite\Hachemite\Sunni government were a creation of Anglo-French imperialism in the Middle East.

The "new" Iraq is the same artificial country with an equally unwanted Shiite government.

Israel is the result of the marriage between british imperialism and Zionism a nineteenth century european colonization movement.

The West can keep these 3 political anomalies alive for decades to come, as Flacaltenn seems to want, but 100 years from now the native people of Syria and Iraq will still be fighting the foreign imposition of borders that totally disregarded their wishes and the native people of Palestine will still be fighting for their right to live in Haifa, Askhelon and Jaffa.

What Flac and apparently you fail to realize is that the desire to undo 100 years of european colonialism will outlive Isis, the PA, the PLO and Hamas.

So I'd suggest replacing the "vast power vaccuum" with what the peoples of Syria and Iraq clearly wish:

Borders based on ethnicity and religion not on anglo-french under the table agreements.
You forgot one thing that the Syrians and Iraqis want: The total annihilation, not just of Israel, but of Jews. Do you wish to give them that too?

You forgot one thing that the Syrians and Iraqis want:

The Kurds don't want to have anything to do with Syria and Iraqi... they just want to leave the arab dominated countries and have their own national homeland.

As they often say:

"We were dealt a bad hand by History (History meaning Britain and France)."

The real problem is the Sunnis and the Shiites...

They both want to keep the territorial integrity of Syria as long as they are in charge... That's why Flac thinks a strongman is the only option... I think the establishment of a sunni state comprising parts of Syria and Iraqi and a Shiite strip along the coast would be a more reasonable way to end the bloodshed.

The total annihilation, not just of Israel, but of Jews. Do you wish to give them that too?

I think it would be a good idea to tone down the rethoric a bit, oldsoul....

The arab people in general and the palestinian people in particular are not the irrational, bloodthirsty arabs the western media portrays them to be.

If you visit Khan Yunis, Jabalia or any other palestinian refugee camp you'll find normal, reasonable people who just want to return to the cities and villages in western palestine where their parents and grandparents used to live.

Every single day hundreds of israeli Jews visit Palestinian cities in the West Bank and return unharmed to Israel.

Even Palestinians who participate in the Intifadas and the armed struggle... If they come across an Israeli Jew while going about their daily business (work, leisure) most of them would not show any hostility towards them.

Definitely not the bunch of psychopaths craving for jewish blood 24\7 depicted by the american media.

Well, it would help if Gary "Roll your own " Johnson actually knew the name of the place...
Very few people would know what Allepo is when asked with little context provided. While it's true that GJ is running for president, and that he should be studying up on his world geography, not knowing what/where Allepo is when asked out of the blue is not a show stopper for me.

It's no big deal if some guy on the street doesn't know about Allepo. A potential president should be very aware of where and what it is.

Yes, but can he send e-mails appropriately and know what the little "c" means?

Yeah.. Except the NEW people ---- being the retarded "Zionists" that they are --- got us NEW carnage in Libya and Syria.. And you think the problem is in Israel????? Whatever you gotta do to soothe your conscience bud...

The Jews had their fingerprints all over those as well.

Guy, here's the thing. They've coopted both parties. I'm a realist. I'm not voting for Hillary to end Jewish control of our foreign policy. that's going to take thousands of more americans coming home in body bags before we say, "enough".

I'm voting for Hillary because Trump's a crazy person.

Johnson showed us he is an open, honest human being who can temporarily stumble (at ten minutes of five in the morning, to be fair) and who went on to give a thoroughly intelligent response to the Syrian situation. Regardless of whether I agree with him, he showed himself to be the candidate who one can trust, just from his wide open, unembarrassed reaction to a term that momentarily stumped him. As a human being, I adored him for that.

what to do about aleppo... nothing. not a damned thing. aleppo's problems are for the alepponese to solve, why get involved in that country at all? just let them kill each other, it's what they want. getting involved means getting used and abused, they'll want civilized man to kill and die along side savages, such a waste.

You forgot one thing that the Syrians and Iraqis want:

The Kurds don't want to have anything to do with Syria and Iraqi... they just want to leave the arab dominated countries and have their own national homeland.

As they often say:

"We were dealt a bad hand by History (History meaning Britain and France)."

The real problem is the Sunnis and the Shiites...

They both want to keep the territorial integrity of Syria as long as they are in charge... That's why Flac thinks a strongman is the only option... I think the establishment of a sunni state comprising parts of Syria and Iraqi and a Shiite strip along the coast would be a more reasonable way to end the bloodshed.

The total annihilation, not just of Israel, but of Jews. Do you wish to give them that too?

I think it would be a good idea to tone down the rethoric a bit, oldsoul....

The arab people in general and the palestinian people in particular are not the irrational, bloodthirsty arabs the western media portrays them to be.

If you visit Khan Yunis, Jabalia or any other palestinian refugee camp you'll find normal, reasonable people who just want to return to the cities and villages in western palestine where their parents and grandparents used to live.

Every single day hundreds of israeli Jews visit Palestinian cities in the West Bank and return unharmed to Israel.

Even Palestinians who participate in the Intifadas and the armed struggle... If they come across an Israeli Jew while going about their daily business (work, leisure) most of them would not show any hostility towards them.

Definitely not the bunch of psychopaths craving for jewish blood 24\7 depicted by the american media.
And yet there is little, if anything, done to stop those who wish to destroy Israel, and the Jews. Why do you think that is? Is it because they have no means? No, they have plenty of means. Is it because they have no desire? Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Whether or not they agree is irrelevant, they do nothing to stop the attempts at genocide directed at Israel, and the Jews. Therefore, as far as I am concerned, they are in the same group. Those who do nothing to stop evil, are just as evil.

Well, it would help if Gary "Roll your own " Johnson actually knew the name of the place...
I'm sure that if you were asked "What should we do about Allepo" before GJ got burned with that question that you would have known exactly what Allepo is. We have to consider that there was no additional context to the question. It was not asked during the middle of a conversation about ISIS and Syria.

It's easy to be Captain Hindsight after the fact.
Oh come on now. Give me a break. Anyone who is following the news these days knows where Allepo is and what is and has been going on there. A presidential candiate who doesn't know about Allepo is not someone who should be considered viable as a potential president.

A pundit said Johnson had set back the legalize-marijuana movement 50 years with that question. LOL

I'm sure that if you were asked "What should we do about Allepo" before GJ got burned with that question that you would have known exactly what Allepo is. We have to consider that there was no additional context to the question. It was not asked during the middle of a conversation about ISIS and Syria.

Oh come on now. Give me a break. Anyone who is following the news these days knows where Allepo is and what is and has been going on there. A presidential candiate who doesn't know about Allepo is not someone who should be considered viable as a potential president.

Do you apply the same stringent requirements to offhand comments by Clinton or Trump?

Johnson showed us he is an open, honest human being who can temporarily stumble (at ten minutes of five in the morning, to be fair) and who went on to give a thoroughly intelligent response to the Syrian situation. Regardless of whether I agree with him, he showed himself to be the candidate who one can trust, just from his wide open, unembarrassed reaction to a term that momentarily stumped him. As a human being, I adored him for that.

That's the irony. If Johnson were more accustomed to deception, he'd have waffled around until he figured out what the interviewer was asking about. Instead, he answered in candid terms "What is Aleppo?". The horror!

I'm not convinced that he didn't know about Allepo. Usually in an interview like that, the interview will add more context to a question. What I mean is the interview may make a few statements about Syria and the devastation being brought on from ISIS to lead into a question such as -- If you are elected president what would you do about Allepo?

That is a tricky question because the context of the question does not identify Allepo as a place. I can understand how it would be easy for a person to have what I would call a brain fart if his brain is not already on the topic of Syria and ISIS when asked that question. It is very easy for us to act as armchair quarterbacks and condemn Johnson for a momentary lapse in geography.

This incident kind of reminds of a silly joke that a skilled worker sometimes plays on his helper. The skilled worker, such as a plumber or electrician will be asking the helper to hand him tools. The skilled worker will say "hand me a henway". Of course the helper has no idea what a henway is and says "what's a henway"? The skilled worker says about 3 to 5 pounds. (What does a hen weigh?)

Had the interviewer asked "What would you do as president about the city of Allepo?" I think I might be a little harder on Johnson. I can understand not being on the same wavelength with someone in a conversation once in a while because I've been there and done that myself.

That fact that so many pundits are willing to 'disqualify' a candidate based on something like this, while ignoring the utterly insane shitshow offered up by Clinton/Trump, simply underlines what a scam our elections have become.

Do you apply the same stringent requirements to offhand comments by Clinton or Trump?
Off hand comment? LMAO Are you serious? He had NO IDEA what Alleop is. That's not an off hand comment. That's total ignorance of a place that is very much of importance in international politics at the moment. For someone who wants to be president not to know what Allepo is: that's horrendously wrong!

Off hand comment? LMAO Are you serious? He had NO IDEA what Alleop is. That's not an off hand comment. That's total ignorance of a place that is very much of importance in international politics at the moment. For someone who wants to be president not to know what Allepo is: that's horrendously wrong!

So, we should impeach Obama then because he did not know how to pronounce corpsman.

Have you ever heard of Clinton and Trump?

There's only one thing you need to know about "what to do about Aleppo (or Syria)". And that is that Libertarians have been CORRECT on MidEast policy for 20+ years and the Dems and Reps have acted like morons. Making the same mistakes OVER and OVER again without learning a thing about MEast leaders or conditions for stability in that region. YOUR GUYS BROKE IT...

And now finally America realizes how much we made it worse with our interventions. We never changed. And truly there is NO REASON for a CIC to know the detailed battlefield in Syria -- if you don't plan to bomb, occupy, kill, or evacuate civilians there.

The entire WORLD screwed up the refugee situation there going back 4 or 5 years. AGAIN --- "your guys"..

We've never changed our position on intervention in that region. And we were absolutely correct all along. That's all you need to know really.. Other than to get the hell out of way and let the people that WARNED YOU try to fix up your mess...

Forum List

Back