What would a socially conservative and fiscally liberal political party look like?

Pedro de San Patricio

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2015
California
Almost everyone I know who bothers to pick a label at all goes with full conservative, full liberal, or socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I've seen what straight down the line conservatism looks like from the GOP in the South. I'm seeing what straight liberalism looks like from the Dems here near the Bay Area. I know the latter is how the libertarians like to describe themselves. But what about the missing one? What would that be like? Wouldn't it combine the best of both systems?

What would a socially conservative and fiscally liberal political party look like?

It would look like a ship that had a solid, waterproof hull on the right side, but full of holes on the left side.

And a captain who keeps shouting, "If the rich would only devote enough effort to bailing, we can sail this ship around the world!"

How well would such a ship float, do you think?

You can't be "socially conservative and fiscally liberal".

"Conservative" means "supporting limited government, and relying on people's freedom and its accompanying responsibility to get things done, except for things that private people and groups CANNOT do".

"Fiscally liberal" means taxing and spending like crazy, on every project that comes down the pike, that some irresponsible do-gooder thinks might help somebody somewhere. Just like we have now.

Except the American people have screamed enough about taxes, that the current liberals (in both parties) have substituted "borrowing" for "taxing". In other words, taxing our children instead of ourselves.

Last edited:
Almost everyone I know who bothers to pick a label at all goes with full conservative, full liberal, or socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I've seen what straight down the line conservatism looks like from the GOP in the South. I'm seeing what straight liberalism looks like from the Dems here near the Bay Area. I know the latter is how the libertarians like to describe themselves. But what about the missing one? What would that be like? Wouldn't it combine the best of both systems?
That would be a disaster. The worst of both parties. No thanks. Look up populism.

It would look exactly like the modern day GOP since circa 2001.

Banjo player from "Deliverance" comes readily to mind. :)

"Fiscally liberal" means taxing and spending like crazy, on every project that comes down the pike, that some irresponsible do-gooder thinks might help somebody somewhere. Just like we have now.

Except the American people have screamed enough about taxes, that the current liberals (in both parties) have substituted "borrowing" for "taxing". In other words, taxing our children instead of ourselves.

Did you actually mean the opposite of this?

It would be the worst of both systems. Matter of fact its the Republicans.

that's the gop in deeds not words

Best of both, or worst of both, depending on your perspective.

Forum List

Back