What we can learn from Ginsburg’s friendship with my father, Antonin Scalia

What we can learn from the justices, though — beyond how to be a friend — is how to welcome debate and differences. The two justices had central roles in addressing some of the most divisive issues of the day, including cases on abortion, same-sex marriage and who would be president. Not for a moment did one think the other should be condemned or ostracized. More than that, they believed that what they were doing — arriving at their own opinions thoughtfully and advancing them vigorously — was essential to the national good. With less debate, their friendship would have been diminished, and so, they believed, would our democracy.
Eugene Scalia

I think there's a lesson here for all us. Just because we disagree on issues should not be a reason for disrespect and hatred. There is far too much of this in politics today and it makes us weaker, not stronger as a nation.

You can disagree without being disagreeable.
Ruth Bader Ginsburg

I think both of them were far too partisan to be on that court. Both of them used the law to try and push their brand of politics rather than just dealing with the cases at hand.
It really doesn't bother me much. Although supreme court justices may lean left or right, the law and how a justice's peers regard their decision is far more important to them than pollical ideology. About the worst putdown for a justice is that their decisions are pollical biased and not based on the law. Also, I have little faith in conservative courts remaining conservative. If you look back at previous courts and previous conservative justices, there decisions are not consistent with their believed ideology. Although Gingsburg and Alito had rather firm opposing ideological beliefs, their decisions were legally good; that is they had strong legal foundations. It may surprise some to learn that they were in agreement in over 2/3 of the cases that came before the court.

Forum List

Back