What problems do you have with the education system?

Donald Polish

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2014
Kansas City
My father usually tells me that
Teachers should be allowed to hit students.
Not "beat the crap out of" but physical punishment like back in the old days.
Is he wise or more radical?
Can you think of any solution?
What problems do you think the education system has? Should there be more art programs? Do you think the sex ed is pointless?
Do you have any ideas that you think would really help?

I will try...Obviously biased teachers, my son is in junior high and ALL of his fellow students have noticed that most of our teachers have a preference for good looking, white, girls and that they are given special treatment. We must change the system starting with teachers.

I will try...Obviously biased teachers, my son is in junior high and ALL of his fellow students have noticed that most of our teachers have a preference for good looking, white, girls and that they are given special treatment. We must change the system starting with teachers.

Is this why blacks get far more chances to commit violence and rude acts in the class room? What the fuck do you want? Whites work harder and move further in their education because they value it. This is reality.

My father usually tells me that
Teachers should be allowed to hit students.
Not "beat the crap out of" but physical punishment like back in the old days.
Is he wise or more radical?
Can you think of any solution?
What problems do you think the education system has? Should there be more art programs? Do you think the sex ed is pointless?
Do you have any ideas that you think would really help?
I have no problem with the educational system.

My kids are out of it, except for one that takes some college courses so he can be on the fishing team, which, BTW, made the national tournament, and I retired from it ten years ago, and the checks come on time.

There's about a hundred problems with the US educational system. Number 1 is the Dept of Education. Get rid of it, and distribute the money to the states. Then let the states work out the other 99.

There isn't a nation on earth that lets the states do a thousand different things. One states program might not be accepted in many states and I don't think this is a good idea.

I think we should get rid of the cultural marxist crap and teach math, science, reading, writing, history and computer science.

First its hard to attract the sharpest minds when teacher pay is low. People aren't going to flock to teaching when they can triple their earnings in the private sector.. All the talk about merit pay is Zippo if they don't actually do it. Where we live there is no teacher union power any more, no tenure, no seniority, and the proposed merit pay never shows up. Teachers are leaving and districts are having a hard time finding new young teachers. Where there used to be 200 applicants per vacancy now there is 25. Combine that with the failed parenting across the nation and the lack of work ethic in kids and then add the home problems and why would anyone want to do that job?

Much of our educational model is based on a system over 100 years old. Students have to sit in class all day for the school year no matter what. Lots of kids aim to do the minimum amout of assignments and study as possible because they know that have to do the same amount of classroom time anyway. For many parents school is more of a baby sitting service than anything else.

Perhaps a better model (at least for secondary education) would be the reversed classroom approach. If a student can watch video's and do computer tutorials and pass Algebra I in two weeks, why should he be made to sit in a class with a group of kids that need much more time with the subject. Teachers can be free to give more individual help to students that need the extra help. Students that finish a course quickly and masterfully can be given fun extra curricular actives to do, or perhaps they can have more time to go out and find a part time job.

Bottom line, motivated students tend to do well. However, lots of kids don't give a rats ass if they get an A as long as they get a D for diploma. Structuring courses such that hard work and study results in being finished quickly and laziness results in not progressing may motivate students.

I have several. I swing between being pissed off at the general public and the "education system".

First of all, there is no way to make direct comparisons state by state via testing. There sure as hell is no way to make direct comparisons country to country via testing. Yet, it never fails some clowns are going to say that either the state or the US ranks somewhere. The general public says.....ZOMG we have to do something. Common Core was supposed to address the direct comparisons state by state. I am not a fan at all because they didn't bother to run pilot tests.

No Child Left Behind was actually started under Bill Clinton. It was reauthorized with the NCLB name under Bush. It gets more heavy handed as we go.

The General public says, we have to add more crap. So, they start adding more crap to the curriculum. Now you have about twenty years worth of elementary kids that are considered ADHD. The teacher makes a referral and a pediatrician determines a diagnosis of ADHD they are prescribed medication to make kids that can't sit still for great lengths of time sit still to adapt.........to testing or to learn the more crap. Not a damned one of these great experts has bothered to ask a very basic question: What happens when you take a kid that has managed to sit still for your class due to medication and take him off when he is old enough to sit down and focus? What does that medication do to that kids brain when you take him off? For something that wasn't necessary to begin with?

Oh, nobody gives a rats ass because you got what you wanted for the immediacy of the moment.

Parents believe these people are the experts so they do what is recommended because education is important.

You will seem the same clowns scream about testing scores, scream about Communism, scream about over medication and scream about choice. They have no clue that it's a damned cycle. Choice means that some clown didn't get their cut and they intend to profit off the education system because cite your damned little bs reason.

Dang. Now I'm pissed.

While I am at it, stop mainstreaming the behavioral special education kids or even learning disability special ed kids because you're too cheap to hire someone that is trained to deal with them.

There's about a hundred problems with the US educational system. Number 1 is the Dept of Education. Get rid of it, and distribute the money to the states. Then let the states work out the other 99.

This is one conservative idea that I do support. The Department of Education should be abolished.

There isn't a nation on earth that lets the states do a thousand different things. One states program might not be accepted in many states and I don't think this is a good idea.

I think we should get rid of the cultural marxist crap and teach math, science, reading, writing, history and computer science.

Your "cultural marxist crap" is an important part of education. BTW, it's not at all "marxist". You are correct that we need to spend more time teaching the basics of math and science.

While we have a ton of problems with primary education, my biggest concern is with secondary education. We have way too many kids going to college for a four year degree that they never finish and even if they do, they find it pretty useless. We need more vocational type schools where kids can receive direct training for the field they are entering. Business needs to play a bigger role in directing programs for schools, programs that will make graduates valuable to businesses right away.

Forum List

Back