What makes you HAPPY, and why?

Hunting isn't about killing. It's about being out in the woods. Killing humanely is a necessity. No animal should suffer. I harvest a deer about every 3 years and usually it's an older one. I get no satisfaction out of killing but it's part of it.

Like a person who works at a slaughter house I have sort of become immune to killing deer. I’m more concerned that it as a good shot and it didn’t suffer too long. Usually they’re in shock, don’t know what just happened and run off to lay down and die, quickly. You hope.

Cows know they’re being led to slaughter. They can smell it. They’re smarter than you think. I would outlaw that. More free range animals. Don’t shoot them until they are at least three. Honestly I love when one comes close enough to shoot it. Not one ounce of me hesitates or regrets a good kill. That’s life. I can’t wait to go get another one opening day gun season nov 15. I might go next weekend crossbow again. I can be done before the cold sets in.

My dad is the same as you. Says he couldn’t do it
Unlike my daughter, I am not a vegetarian; can’t resist eating a good piece of meat every few days. Slaughter houses should be more “humane” by reducing any expected suffering by the animals. I agree that free-range hunting is not only “nature”, but better overall, but i’d rather have others do it, like your dad!

Hunting isn't about killing. It's about being out in the woods. Killing humanely is a necessity. No animal should suffer. I harvest a deer about every 3 years and usually it's an older one. I get no satisfaction out of killing but it's part of it.
I agree:
“Killing humanely is a necessity. No animal should suffer.”
Especially the 2nd sentence.
Killing killers like Putin is a necessity!

I’m curious what you do or think that results in your happiness. Does that last?

According to a free online Yale class on “The Science of Well Being”, MONEY makes people “happy” (overall state of mind) up to a certain point. For example, you’re likely to be happier if your salary was higher ... until it reached $75,000/yr. After that, money did not necessarily correlate with happiness.

The Science of Well-Being by Yale University | Coursera

Beyond money, what else makes you happy?

Either flying my plane, because I love the freedom or driving my GT40 very fast because of the sensation of speed.

I also enjoy a good race on the racetrack. I am always searching for the perfect lap.

Either flying my plane, because I love the freedom or driving my GT40 very fast because of the sensation of speed.

I also enjoy a good race on the racetrack. I am always searching for the perfect lap.
I can understand speed thrills, if careful. Racing a sports car is definitely fun, but my biggest thrill was skydiving, before I got married.

I can understand speed thrills, if careful. Racing a sports car is definitely fun, but my biggest thrill was skydiving, before I got married.

I used to do that too. But I am old now and my bones can't take it. I never got the rush from it that I do flying. In fact, I was never one to do long freefalls, I was more interested in hopping and popping, then when I got relatively competent I did some relative work with a good group out of Davis Cali. Most of my racing is at Laguna Seca, and it is in a 1950's era racecar, so my top speed in that isn't high, figure 95ish, but I love the focus and sense of accomplishment i get when i nail a lap. I still haven't gotten a perfect one, but I have come damned close!:)

I’m curious what you do or think that results in your happiness. Does that last?

According to a free online Yale class on “The Science of Well Being”, MONEY makes people “happy” (overall state of mind) up to a certain point. For example, you’re likely to be happier if your salary was higher ... until it reached $75,000/yr. After that, money did not necessarily correlate with happiness.

The Science of Well-Being by Yale University | Coursera

Beyond money, what else makes you happy?
Having nearly complete control of my life and my time makes me happy.

I jumped once, got hurt, never did it again. I do fly (did) though.

I think when people reach a certain level of income or wealth they don't have to worry or think about it much anymore. After I hit $100,000/yr in income and $1,000,000 in wealth I hardly think about money at all.

Unlike my daughter, I am not a vegetarian; can’t resist eating a good piece of meat every few days. Slaughter houses should be more “humane” by reducing any expected suffering by the animals. I agree that free-range hunting is not only “nature”, but better overall, but i’d rather have others do it, like your dad!
I went out Saturday at 2pm. Sat in that ground blind for almost 6 hours. Saw NOTHING. LOL. I stayed away from the best spot where I would have for sure saw deer because it's my brother's property and he wants us to leave the property alone until he hunts it. Keep things quiet back there. So I hunted up towards the road. Still in the woods but not even close to where he's going to hunt. Saw NOTHING! And I know they come through there. In fact before I left Sunday morning I went and checked and there were deer foot prints all over the place. LOL. Bastards.

I got my meat from the amish butcher. OMG the meat sauce I made last night was soooooo good. And good for you.

What really sucks is if you don't make a good shot and you know it's suffering. It's one of the things I can't stand about hunting. People talk about how it's not hunting you have a high powered rifle with a scope and a big bullet that would stop a rhino. GOOD! Do you want me to only use a 22? I can kill a deer with a 22 but it might not die right away. Usually with my Ruger 450 bushmaster or muzzle loader, they don't go very far if at all.

I went out Saturday at 2pm. Sat in that ground blind for almost 6 hours. Saw NOTHING. LOL. I stayed away from the best spot where I would have for sure saw deer because it's my brother's property and he wants us to leave the property alone until he hunts it. Keep things quiet back there. So I hunted up towards the road. Still in the woods but not even close to where he's going to hunt. Saw NOTHING! And I know they come through there. In fact before I left Sunday morning I went and checked and there were deer foot prints all over the place. LOL. Bastards.

Deer numbers are down where I hunt. Almost not worth it. Also lots of logging going on, upsets deer, make me mad as hell. :(

Being on vacation makes me happy.

1666630413529.png

Forum List

Back