What kind of cookware do you use?

I would be in to that, I have cast iron but made the mistake of switching to a smooth top stove from gas. Cast iron would beat the crap out of it.

I have a cast iron skillet I bought in the 70s. Back in my college days I used to dry them by putting them on the electric eye and heating them. Versus simply wiping them off with paper towels I guess. Unfortunately I forgot once and went on a day long motorcycle ride. Got back and the whole apartment building was hazy and funky smelling. The haze got thicker near my apartment.

The pan was glowing, I could see the electric coil element from above. Seasoned her up and she was back in action. Still don't know why the fire department wasn't there to greet me. I'm thinking of taking a loss and selling this range to go back to gas for the ironware and consistent heat.

Yeah. I have a separate cast iron skillet that I use to sear steaks in. I get it white hot. Of course there would be no seasoning left on it at that point but after its cooled off I spray it down with Pam before I put it away. It still is not warped, and it makes great steaks.

Watching a cooking show the other day where they went away from the traditional method of searing the steak first and started with a low temp of around 250 until the internal temp was around 115 and than they seared it.
This is based on the searing part sealing in the juices as being a wives tale.
And it also follows the same method of souse vide cooking,heating the meat to a perfect temp and than searing.
Gonna have to try it.

I don't entirely buy into it being an old wives tale but I would concede that letting the meat rest before cutting probably does more for juice conservation than anything else.

That's exactly the point of letting the meat rest, and it isn't a wive's tale at all. If you let the juices redistribute before cutting into the meat, the juice won't then run out all over your cutting station.

No, he was saying that "searing holds juices in" is an old wives tale.

Well , I don't know about that, I DO know that we own a steak house and we sear all our steaks.

Heard of em but havent tried it.
It'll have to wait till it gets a little cooler. Tending a BBQ pitt when it's a 100 degrees is a bitch.

You smoke them, not BBQ them. They have to go low and slow, and you can put literally anything in them. I've made breakfast ones, mexican ones, italian ones, really limitless options.

You live up north?
This is a BBQ pitt. Which of course is used to smoke meat.
View attachment 48990

I live in Arkansas, and no matter what the device is called , there is a difference between smoking and BBQing. You can in fact smoke something in your electric oven if you wanted to. It would be messy, and inappropriate, and not very tasty, but it could be done.

Myself I use an electric smoker. Works great.

10296548.jpg

Are you referring to cold smoking?
Because what you're doing with an electric(i got this one)
upload_2015-9-1_11-49-53.png

is the exact same thing I do with my stick burner only you're using electricity for your heat source.

Cold smoking is for cheese,hams and long term smoking where you cure the meat with smoke.

BBQ is a low(around 220)slow type of smoking which can be done with wood,electric or gas fired pitts.
Most city BBQ joints use gas.
Real BBQ/Smoking joints go this route.
upload_2015-9-1_11-55-54.png

Yeah. I have a separate cast iron skillet that I use to sear steaks in. I get it white hot. Of course there would be no seasoning left on it at that point but after its cooled off I spray it down with Pam before I put it away. It still is not warped, and it makes great steaks.

Watching a cooking show the other day where they went away from the traditional method of searing the steak first and started with a low temp of around 250 until the internal temp was around 115 and than they seared it.
And it also follows the same method of souse vide cooking,heating the meat to a perfect temp and than searing.
Gonna have to try it.

I don't entirely buy into it being an old wives tale but I would concede that letting the meat rest before cutting probably does more for juice conservation than anything else.

That's exactly the point of letting the meat rest, and it isn't a wive's tale at all. If you let the juices redistribute before cutting into the meat, the juice won't then run out all over your cutting station.

Well , I don't know about that, I DO know that we own a steak house and we sear all our steaks.

I sear steaks because I love the textures it produces. I rest my steaks because I like them juicy.

Gonna have to try it.

A very large portion of steak houses are going souse vide.
Which of course the steak is seared after cooking.

Heard of em but havent tried it.
It'll have to wait till it gets a little cooler. Tending a BBQ pitt when it's a 100 degrees is a bitch.

You smoke them, not BBQ them. They have to go low and slow, and you can put literally anything in them. I've made breakfast ones, mexican ones, italian ones, really limitless options.

You live up north?
This is a BBQ pitt. Which of course is used to smoke meat.
View attachment 48990

I live in Arkansas, and no matter what the device is called , there is a difference between smoking and BBQing. You can in fact smoke something in your electric oven if you wanted to. It would be messy, and inappropriate, and not very tasty, but it could be done.

Myself I use an electric smoker. Works great.

10296548.jpg

Are you referring to cold smoking?
Because what you're doing with an electric(i got this one)
View attachment 48996

is the exact same thing I do with my stick burner only you're using electricity for your heat source.

Cold smoking is for cheese,hams and long term smoking where you cure the meat with smoke.

BBQ is a low(around 220)slow type of smoking which can be done with wood,electric or gas fired pitts.
Most city BBQ joints use gas.
Real BBQ/Smoking joints go this route.
View attachment 48998

around here we refer to grilling as BBQing. Technically incorrect, but it is what it is. So , we were talking about the same thing, just different terminology due to region.

Gonna have to try it.

A very large portion of steak houses are going souse vide.
Which of course the steak is seared after cooking.

Our Head Chef is a traditionalist, and very good at what she does, that decision is hers and hers alone.

I'm a hands off owner.

For smoking, I use indirect cold smoke almost exclusively now. I like to fill up my smoker with several full racks of ribs, cold smoke them all and the freeze them for later cooking. That way I can grill them or braise them and not have to worry about smoke flavor. I try to keep it simple because I'm usually drinking while I'm BBQ'ing.

Gonna have to try it.

I sear steaks because I love the textures it produces. I rest my steaks because I like them juicy.

I'm going to try their method of bringing the meat to around 110 and than searing.
It's supposed to give you a more evenly cooked piece of meat and they said the juicy factor wasnt an issue at all.
It's kinda like brining beef. They're finding it doesnt do what everyone thinks it does since the brine only penetrates around an 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

For smoking, I use indirect cold smoke almost exclusively now. I like to fill up my smoker with several full racks of ribs, cold smoke them all and the freeze them for later cooking. That way I can grill them or braise them and not have to worry about smoke flavor. I try to keep it simple because I'm usually drinking while I'm BBQ'ing.

I think you're confusing cold smoking with smoking or BBQing as it's known.
To cold smoke a rack of ribs would take days.

Generally speaking cold smoking is using heat below 100 degrees F and does NOT cook the meat, it merely infuses it with smoke flavoring.

Bacon is generally cold smoked , for instance.

He's most certainly heat smoking his ribs, and then finishing them on the grill.

Generally speaking cold smoking is using heat below 100 degrees F and does NOT cook the meat, it merely infuses it with smoke flavoring.

He's most certainly heat smoking his ribs, and then finishing them on the grill.

Kinda sounds like it.
I'll start say a rack of baby backs and run em at 220 for around four hours,or till done.
That would be smoking or BBQing...same,same.

Kinda sounds like it.
I'll start say a rack of baby backs and run em at 220 for around four hours,or till done.

Yeah , just did some Saturday myself. I like to smoke a brisket at the same time. put the ribs directly over the brisket and let the fat from them give the brisket extra flavor.

Four hours for the ribs, eight for the brisket @ 220F

I'm talking about smoking a rack of ribs and the temperature probably doesn't get past 100 degrees. I live in Florida so that will be as cold as it gets.

Doubtful, I'll bet the temperature never gets over 100. I've smoked Cheddar in there.

I'm talking about smoking a rack of ribs and the temperature probably doesn't get past 100 degrees. I live in Florida so that will be as cold as it gets.

how long do you smoke them at 100 degrees? Days?

I don't have problems with anything sticking to my stainless steel cookware. Perhaps you are cooking on too high of a heat? The only thing that I ever make that sticks is something I've burned or scrambled eggs. What a bitch those are!!!

I don't have problems with anything sticking to my stainless steel cookware. Perhaps you are cooking on too high of a heat? The only thing that I ever make that sticks is something I've burned or scrambled eggs. What a bitch those are!!!

eggs are THE worst in stainless.

oh, anyone else started using their microwave to cook rice? It comes out perfect EVERY time.

Directions.

Place desired amount of rice in bowl with lid. fill with water until water level is one knuckle above amount of rice. Add salt. Cook on high loosely covered for 9 minutes. Let rest for 3 minutes.

perfect rice. and we aren't talking instant rice here either. real stuff. brown or white, long or short, doesn't matter same directions.

Kinda sounds like it.

Yeah , just did some Saturday myself. I like to smoke a brisket at the same time. put the ribs directly over the brisket and let the fat from them give the brisket extra flavor.

Self basting at it's best.

Kinda sounds like it.

Self basting at it's best.

The bomb is smoking a fatty above a brisket? NOM NOM NOM

Forum List

Back