What kind of aesthetically-challenged person can't appreciate the beauty of a Confederate flag?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
Put away everything you've been taught about American history for a mere moment and consider this: There are stark similarities between our own U.S. flag, and what people believe to the archtypical "Stars and Bars" Confederate flag. Both are red, white, and blue, and both have stars. Although the current U.S. flag typifies the unification of 50 states, the 13 stars on the Confederate flag represented those states which defied at that time, an oppressive federal government.

That's where the similarity of the two flags ends. The ones flown during the Confederacy also had the Christian image of a cross, while the one we we fly today, don't. An interesting notation about the cross, is the orientation of the cross on the flag..

"The claim states the blue cross represents the Christian cross of Saint Andrew. In reality, the flag’s design explicitly sought to avoid ecclesiastical meaning, according to Kaye. In the book “The Confederate Battle Flag”, historian John M. Coski explains that the cross was turned diagonally with the explicit intention of not being a Christian symbol. As Coski points out, the creator of the flag said he wanted it to be "more Heraldric [sic] than Ecclesiastical" ( here ). Coski further documents how according to Miles the diagonal cross was preferable because “it avoided the religious objection about the cross (from the Jews and many Protestant sects)”

Please disregard the last paragraph of the article, a disclaimer which was added by the "Reuters Fact Check team."

Fact check: The origins of the colors and symbols of the Confederate flag.

stars and bars.jpg

Much better than this one ... which, I believe ... is the State Flag of California [citation needed]

View attachment 432773

You never fail to deliver. :laughing0301:

What I thought was particularly interesting was this part:

"Coski further documents how according to Miles the diagonal cross was preferable because “it avoided the religious objection about the cross (from the Jews and many Protestant sects)”

Fuck the confederate flag and all it stands for.

So I take it you have no sense of symbolism, color, or symmetry?

Or do you just enjoy being subjugate to an oppressive federal government.

Got it.

Last edited:
The Nazi Swastika was aesthetically pleasing

Unlike the diagonal cross on the Confederate flag, the swastika had no significant basis in Christian symbolism. Rather its origins were derived from Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism.

Put away everything you've been taught about American history for a mere moment and consider this: There are stark similarities between our own U.S. flag, and what people believe to the archtypical "Stars and Bars" Confederate flag. Both are red, white, and blue, and both have stars. Although the current U.S. flag typifies the unification of 50 states, the 13 stars on the Confederate flag represented those states which defied at that time, an oppressive federal government.

That's where the similarity of the two flags ends. The ones flown during the Confederacy also had the Christian image of a cross, while the one we we fly today, don't. An interesting notation about the cross, is the orientation of the cross on the flag..

"The claim states the blue cross represents the Christian cross of Saint Andrew. In reality, the flag’s design explicitly sought to avoid ecclesiastical meaning, according to Kaye. In the book “The Confederate Battle Flag”, historian John M. Coski explains that the cross was turned diagonally with the explicit intention of not being a Christian symbol. As Coski points out, the creator of the flag said he wanted it to be "more Heraldric [sic] than Ecclesiastical" ( here ). Coski further documents how according to Miles the diagonal cross was preferable because “it avoided the religious objection about the cross (from the Jews and many Protestant sects)”

Please disregard the last paragraph of the article, a disclaimer which was added by the "Reuters Fact Check team."

Fact check: The origins of the colors and symbols of the Confederate flag.

I think the biggest thing to remember is that it is impossible to separate the confederate flag from what it symbolized. First, it symbolized a nation at war with the United States of America. Second, it was co-opted as a symbol by groups who taught hate and tried to maintain society based on such hate.

Whether the colors or the patterns are pretty is irrelevant.

Frankly my dear I don't give a dam!!

It's spelled, 'damn'.

I'll overlook the lack of punctuation in your sentence.

English can be your friend. Embrace her.

An interesting fact that doesn't get mentioned much:

"Adj. Gen. Samuel Cooper estimated that between 10,000 and 12,000 Jewish soldiers served in the Confederate Army, though this number is probably inflated by including some Germans.[4] A more accurate estimate most likely puts the number of Jewish servicemen at around 2,000.[5] These men served for the same reasons as their Christian compatriots. As Moses Jacob Ezekiel, a cadet at Virginia’s Military Institute, stated, “We were not fighting for the perpetuation of slavery, but for the principle of States Rights and Free Trade, and in defense of our homes which were being ruthlessly invaded.[6]"

Jewish Confederates | Abbeville Institute

Forum List

Back