What is our purpose in life?

From our point of view what's the difference if we evolved from one ape or another. We ultimately evolved from protozoa/bacteria/viruses/whatever. All evolution says is that we didn't pop up out of the muck fully formed, and that flies in the face of a literal interpretation of Genesis.

I want you to write a computer program that writes a more complex computer program that keeps replicating itself and becomes more advanced and meaningful. To my knowledge, no one has been able to do it. The idea that a lizard rubbed its face on a rock or a tree and an eye popped out is rediculous because life and dna requires information. If I mixed up a dna sequence in some soup, who would arrange it? You? Design in dna requires a designer.

All evolution says is that we didn't pop up out of the muck fully formed and that flies in the face of a literal interpretation of Genesis - Design in dna requires a designer.

the two are not exclusive to a revisionist Genesis that already gives the purpose for the Spirit to survive its physiological presence ... as coincidentally I have considered myself pursuing as a DNA Engineer a possible endeavor in the Everlasting - with a purely selfless motivation. . :eusa_shifty:

:eusa_eh:

Easy for you to say.

If our only reason for being is to strive for everlasting life in heaven, how can we derive meaning and purpose out of this life?

I believe we are here to learn & ascend - that is the purpose of this manifestation.

I believe we chose to come here (sorta in a reincarnation type of way), and that our souls are multifaceted & multidimensional, and that this physical manifestation is only one aspect of our total being. I think this explains to a degree what "intuition" is, and why things at times seem like they're so in synch with one another (ever experience that?).

I believe in a 'heaven'/'hell' per-se, but not in the Christian fashion. If you let your mind fall victim to negativity, hate, greed, etc, you will descend into lower dimensions with like minded individuals and create your own personal hell.

But if you embrace peace, kindness, oneness, and love you will let your mind ascend upwards into higher and higher dimensions with the top being a sort of 'heaven' I suppose.

Lol, that's enough I suppose...

All evolution says is that we didn't pop up out of the muck fully formed and that flies in the face of a literal interpretation of Genesis - Design in dna requires a designer.

the two are not exclusive to a revisionist Genesis that already gives the purpose for the Spirit to survive its physiological presence ... as coincidentally I have considered myself pursuing as a DNA Engineer a possible endeavor in the Everlasting - with a purely selfless motivation. . :eusa_shifty:

I do not understand. How can they not be exclusive if one comes from muck and the other through a Creator. What do you mean by "revisionist Genesis that already gives the purpose for the Spirit, etc." Can you break down your sentences to be a little more concise?

The tribulations appear to be your own, breezy. Good luck in your future attempts to communicate with humans.

Humans didn't evolve from apes.

Humans evolved along side apes from a common ancestor. There's a difference between the two concepts.

From our point of view what's the difference if we evolved from one ape or another. We ultimately evolved from protozoa/bacteria/viruses/whatever. All evolution says is that we didn't pop up out of the muck fully formed, and that flies in the face of a literal interpretation of Genesis.

I want you to write a computer program that writes a more complex computer program that keeps replicating itself and becomes more advanced and meaningful. To my knowledge, no one has been able to do it. The idea that a lizard rubbed its face on a rock or a tree and an eye popped out is rediculous because life and dna requires information. If I mixed up a dna sequence in some soup, who would arrange it? You? Design in dna requires a designer.

Maybe no one has been able to do it because no one has the knowledge of a god. Remember that some civilizations thought the Spanish were gods because they rode horses.

Last edited:
From a Christian standpoint, it seems our only purpose for being is in the service of God and our behavior in this life determines our destiny in the next.

I think God's purpose is our purpose:

John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Maybe no one has been able to do it because no one has the knowledge of a god. Remember that some civilizations thought the Spanish were gods because they rode horses.
If God existed, He'd have created the Bible.

The bible is man made. God is real.

If God is real, He would reveal Himself and present a purpose. The Bible is the only "religious " book that makes everyone in it seem stupid. I really doubt that human authors wish to appear ignorant and inept.... I mean were Adam and Eve smart? Didn't Noah get raped? Joseph could keep his mouth shut about himself. Moses kept saying how bad he was at public speaking. King Saul never followed the simplest of directions, King Davis took another man's wife and then arranged his death, King Solomon being the wisest married a lot of pagan women (is that wise?)...
The Egyptian Pharaohs were all gods, The Greeks were talented know-it-alls, and the Romans were all powerful. So much for pagan beliefs.

If God is real, He would reveal Himself and present a purpose. The Bible is the only "religious " book that makes everyone in it seem stupid. I really doubt that human authors wish to appear ignorant and inept.... I mean were Adam and Eve smart? Didn't Noah get raped? Joseph could keep his mouth shut about himself. Moses kept saying how bad he was at public speaking. King Saul never followed the simplest of directions, King Davis took another man's wife and then arranged his death, King Solomon being the wisest married a lot of pagan women (is that wise?)...
The Egyptian Pharaohs were all gods, The Greeks were talented know-it-alls, and the Romans were all powerful. So much for pagan beliefs.

What makes you think God would reveal himself in the manner you deem to be appropriate? I dont put much stock in the bible except for historical purposes but God or something similar exists.

What makes you think God would reveal himself in the manner you deem to be appropriate? I dont put much stock in the bible except for historical purposes but God or something similar exists.

Because He needs to save us from our sinful selves, or we will be forever separated from a perfect and just God. And we are neither.

Because He needs to save us from our sinful selves, or we will be forever separated from a perfect and just God. And we are neither.

Does sound like a paradox doesnt it?

Does sound like a paradox doesnt it?

No, "paradox" is what one parks his boat between.............:D

Yet evolution does not explain the origin of life.

Not yet, but it's looking like the explanation will be a natural one, like everything else so far, since before the Big Bang.

If God existed? If God exists, It is definitely laissez-faire and would not have created the Bible.

The bible is man made.

True dat.

God is real.

So far it's a 50/50 hung jury.

If God is real, He would reveal Himself and present a purpose.

Why would God present Itself? The purpose is pretty self evident, but we haven't gotten it from God.

And so it goes with all revealed religions.

The only reason man exists is to glorify God. We were made for God's glory. without God we would not exist and there would be no purpose.

Yet evolution does not explain the origin of life.

Not yet, but it's looking like the explanation will be a natural one, like everything else so far, since before the Big Bang.

If God existed? If God exists, It is definitely laissez-faire and would not have created the Bible.

True dat.

So far it's a 50/50 hung jury.

If God is real, He would reveal Himself and present a purpose.

Why would God present Itself? The purpose is pretty self evident, but we haven't gotten it from God.

And so it goes with all revealed religions.

Here are two ends of life specified. 1. The glorifying of God. 2. The enjoying of God.

First. The glorifying of God, 1 Pet. 4:11. "That God in all things may be glorified." The glory of God is a silver thread which must run through all our actions. l Cor. 10:31. "Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." Everything works to some end in things natural and artificial; now, man being a rational creature, must propose some end to himself, and that should be, that he may lift up God in the world. He had better lose his life than the end of his living. The great truth asserted is that the end of every man's living should be to glorify God. Glorifying God has respect to all the persons in the Trinity; it respects God the Father who gave us life; God the Son, who lost his life for us; and God the Holy Ghost, who produces a new life in us; we must bring glory to the whole Trinity.

The only reason man exists is to glorify God. We were made for God's glory. without God we would not exist and there would be no purpose.

When you equate God with Truth (knowledge, justice, love and beauty), you pretty well summed it up. And we glorify/worship God/Truth by it's pursuit.

Our purpose is whatever we think it is. Any planet that can sustain life will evolve life. But it's not any spiritual mystery, it's just chemistry.

For myself, I think my purpose is to be an asset and not a liability. I make cupcakes and cookies twice every week and give them out to everyone I see (and people on my distribution list.) Giving joy in the form of a cokie or cupcake makes the recipiant happy, and me as well. Spreading posivity and joy is me being an asset. Maybe someone who got one will go home happier and spread their joy to their kids, spouse, or someone else. Like thinking of Tuesdays and Fridays (bake days) as days I knock a domino over and there's no telling how many dominoes fall because of the one. But the two gifts I've gotten in return so far suggest people are in fact doing the gift-giving thing as well.

Growing up, friends' mothers often made baked goodies for us kids and it stands out in my mind as one of the many positive experiences I had growing up. And I knew even then as a child, that where ever I lived as an adult I wanted to do that sort of thing too. And figure continuing the pattern with kids and adults here now is ensuring good things like this will continue even after I'm done and dusted.

Last edited:
If our only reason for being is to strive for everlasting life in heaven, how can we derive meaning and purpose out of this life?

the purpose of life....is to live before you die.

end of story.

Forum List

Back