What is in your mind when you read?

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
Since I have been accused of teaching hate, today I took the time to re-read the threads that I have started in this forum. Contrary to recently expressed opinions of my writings, I could not find any words expressing hate. I do not hate people, nor do I encourage other people to do so. Interestingly enough, some things that I said were interpreted by others as being hateful. Because our reaction to what we read is often based on something we already have inside, I believe people who do hate are quick to project that attitude onto others.

And this is not just my opinion. Karl Menninger, M.D. wrote in The Human Mind, an outline of psychiatry:

“The feeling that someone has it in for us is frequently a projection: it is we who have some secret (perhaps entirely unconscious) hostility for that person, and this prejudices us and leads us to reverse the truth. When, for unconscious reasons, we develop fear and dislike of someone, it is a psychological necessity for us to justify such feelings in order to save our face. Faults found with the feared or disliked person, even when they contain a modicum of truth, can be recognized quite frequently as mirror images of our own faults and feelings.”

“Prejudice against the Jews or the Negroes or any other members of a distinctive group, is clearly recognizable, in most instances, as based largely on projection.”

Please. We all hate. It's part of that Yin-Yang, both sides of the coin scenario. Hate is perfectly acceptable. I am no shrink, but accept it. I hate spiders and hit and run drivers. I hate PINK. What I love is people that are honest with us and themselves. Don't over think this.

Since I have been accused of teaching hate, today I took the time to re-read the threads that I have started in this forum. Contrary to recently expressed opinions of my writings, I could not find any words expressing hate. I do not hate people, nor do I encourage other people to do so. Interestingly enough, some things that I said were interpreted by others as being hateful. Because our reaction to what we read is often based on something we already have inside, I believe people who do hate are quick to project that attitude onto others.

And this is not just my opinion. Karl Menninger, M.D. wrote in The Human Mind, an outline of psychiatry:

“The feeling that someone has it in for us is frequently a projection: it is we who have some secret (perhaps entirely unconscious) hostility for that person, and this prejudices us and leads us to reverse the truth. When, for unconscious reasons, we develop fear and dislike of someone, it is a psychological necessity for us to justify such feelings in order to save our face. Faults found with the feared or disliked person, even when they contain a modicum of truth, can be recognized quite frequently as mirror images of our own faults and feelings.”

“Prejudice against the Jews or the Negroes or any other members of a distinctive group, is clearly recognizable, in most instances, as based largely on projection.”

bootay

Aren't you married to a 81 year old black man? I wish you well, it can't be easy. Men can be such swine. OK, seriously. Don't worry about it. Just live in the moment.

Aren't you married to a 81 year old black man? I wish you well, it can't be easy. Men can be such swine. OK, seriously. Don't worry about it. Just live in the moment.
I agree, men are pigs. I would never marry one.

I agree, men are pigs. I would never marry one.
That's probably a good thing, since...fill in the blank.

Forum List

Back