What is "Anxiety?"

Anxiety is...

• Total voters

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Social anxiety disorder, testing taking anxiety, performance anxiety, etc. What is it really? Is anxiety nothing more than a well crafted medical euphamism for puss-itis? Vote today and tell us what you think?

Social anxiety disorder, testing taking anxiety, performance anxiety, etc. What is it really? Is anxiety nothing more than a well crafted medical euphamism for puss-itis? Vote today and tell us what you think?

Some people have BAD attacks of "anxiety" but ya, the term is being over used and made a lesser meaning by all the things that get covered by it.

Unless you have had a real anxiety attack you can not even begin to image what it can do to you.

You have a hard time breathing, you have a hard time thinking, you have a desire to flee that is almost and can be overwhelming, or it can root you to the spot your in. It can cause you to panic and do irrational things. It can cause you physical pain. Those are just the easy parts.

True, RGS. I once went though a period where I had panic attacks, totally suck! It was a pretty stressful time and I was eventually able to talk myself out of it. Still, I have to vote for option number three.

• Banned
I'm hoping my inclusion of a "moderate" third choice will be met with approval.

Methinks some suffer from decision making anxiety. :D

There's a difference between anxiety and anxiety disorder.

Anxiety disorder can be a crippling thing, and lead to all sorts of really bad choices. People who feel horrible all the time don't register positive reinforcement the way normal people do, which means there's no reward for good choices. They're prone to develop alcoholism and drug addiction because that's the only way they ever feel good at all.

But "anxiety" by itself is a different thing. So the poll isn't specific enough.

Anxiety can range from everything to worrying that you aren't prepared for a test or your butt looks fat to incapacitating and terrifying anxiety attacks that convince the victim that s/he is in mortal danger of dying. The former is no big deal, is occasionally incurred by everybody and leaves no lasting harm. The latter is a genuine medical condition that, while generally not dangerous, is no laughing matter. Certain phobias can be emotionally (and socially/practically) damaging; certain obsessive/compulsive behavior resulting from anxiety can be life threatening.

I don't think wuss-itis really factors into any of these.

Anxiety can range from everything to worrying that you aren't prepared for a test or your butt looks fat to incapacitating and terrifying anxiety attacks that convince the victim that s/he is in mortal danger of dying. The former is no big deal, is occasionally incurred by everybody and leaves no lasting harm. The latter is a genuine medical condition that, while generally not dangerous, is no laughing matter. Certain phobias can be emotionally (and socially/practically) damaging; certain obsessive/compulsive behavior resulting from anxiety can be life threatening.

I don't think wuss-itis really factors into any of these.

IMO, the highlighted examples are cases of extreme wuss-itis.

Anxiety is a disease usually associated with seratonen uptake disorders.

Not a clue what those other "anxieites" are all about.

IMO, the highlighted examples are cases of extreme wuss-itis.

No way. Those who care whether they are prepared are not in the least wusses. Their fear may be unfounded, but it is based on positive values. A big butt is waaaaaaaaaay down there on the scale of serious problems, but wanting to present a good appearance is also not the least bit wussy.

Being a wuss is not speaking to somebody because they might not respond or not expressing a necessary opinion because somebody might not like it or being too shy to offer assistance to somebody who needs it.

Last edited:
No way. Those who care whether they are prepared are not in the least wusses. Their fear may be unfounded, but it is based on positive values. A big butt is waaaaaaaaaay down there on the scale of serious problems, but wanting to present a good appearance is also not the least bit wussy.

Being a wuss is not speaking to somebody because they might not respond or not expressing a necessary opinion because somebody might not like it or being too shy to offer assistance to somebody who needs it.

I disagree. Being anxious about anything you have the power to influence, but have elected not to, is total wuss-itis. Don't like your fat ass...get some exercise and put down the ice cream. Don't want to fail the test...study. That said, fugly buggers have my complete sympathy. :D

I disagree. Being anxious about anything you have the power to influence, but have elected not to, is total wuss-itis. Don't like your fat ass...get some exercise and put down the ice cream. Don't want to fail the test...study. That said, fugly buggers have my complete sympathy. :D

Nope, won't agree. Not taking care of yourself can be a character flaw, but laziness or procrastination or faulty prioritizing are not in themselves wussism nor are physical characteristics we dislike in ourselves always reasonably correctable. Giving into fear of acting to avoid emotional or physical discomfort is wussism.

(How many thought we would be spending time defining what a "wuss" is when we got up this morning? At least I wasn't anxious about it. :razz:)

Nope, won't agree. Not taking care of yourself can be a character flaw, but laziness or procrastination or faulty prioritizing are not in themselves wussism nor are physical characteristics we dislike in ourselves always reasonably correctable. Giving into fear of acting to avoid emotional or physical discomfort is wussism.

(How many thought we would be spending time defining what a "wuss" is when we got up this morning? At least I wasn't anxious about it. :razz:)

I think you're splitting hairs. Physical characteristics notwithstanding, every example you've cited is a form of surrender...or "wussing" out if you will. Simply dragging said surrender out over a lifetime hardly makes it less wussy.

I think you're splitting hairs. Physical characteristics notwithstanding, every example you've cited is a form of surrender...or "wussing" out if you will. Simply dragging said surrender out over a lifetime hardly makes it less wussy.

Perhaps we are defining 'wuss' differently? The more common term for 'wuss' is 'wimp' which is inappropriately acting out of fear that we have the emotional ability to overcome. Putting off going to the dentist because it might be uncomfortable or hurt is wussism. Not going to the edge of the cliff when you have an unreasonable fear of heights is not. Not going to the party because you think you might feel out of place is wussism. Concern that you are not appropriately dressed for the party or won't make a good appearance is not. Not going on a diet because you might fail is wussism. Not going on a diet because you want to enjoy your weekend or summer first is not. Not playing a game because you might lose is wussism. Not playing a game because you don't like the game is not. There are a gazillion other examples.

True, RGS. I once went though a period where I had panic attacks, totally suck! It was a pretty stressful time and I was eventually able to talk myself out of it. Still, I have to vote for option number three.

I'm glad you got better.

Or am I? :dunno:

Or did you? :eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back