What is a typical American lifestyle?

Teddy Pollins

Feb 26, 2015
I know that there lots of different racial, social, ethnic groups in the US, but still, I would like to know at least a few of most common typical American lifestyles. For example, a family (parents, one of them is a hard-working father and the other is a housewife, and 2 children) living somewhere in a house bought by a using mortgage loan in suburbs is quite common, isn't it?
Your ideas.
1145.JPG

I know that there lots of different racial, social, ethnic groups in the US, but still, I would like to know at least a few of most common typical American lifestyles. For example, a family (parents, one of them is a hard-working father and the other is a housewife, and 2 children) living somewhere in a house bought by a using mortgage loan in suburbs is quite common, isn't it?
Your ideas.

It is 13% of American Households where only the Husband works with children at home.
It is 25% dual income with no children.
It is 31% dual income with children.
And 31% other households such as older people whose children have left.

So to answer your question ... If you think 13% is common (minus no supporting data in regards to the mortgage qualifier), then that would be correct.

wooo guns,hamburgers, applauding, are you free yet? Wooooo more applauding and shouting all the time wooo racism more guns obesity wooo freedom yeah!
And we are enumerating all these with serious face by the way...

Your ideas.
1145.JPG

I seriously doubt you could find an American family in 2015 in a house with two kids where the father works but the mother doesn't. That American Dream evaporated a long time ago.

wooo guns,hamburgers, applauding, are you free yet? Wooooo more applauding and shouting all the time wooo racism more guns obesity wooo freedom yeah!
And we are enumerating all these with serious face by the way...

And as you see, we have our share of idiots as well.

Your ideas.
1145.JPG

Typical American Lifestyle:

- prostituting yourself working a job you can't stand solely because the money pays your bills
- living with someone necessitating one compromise after another when deep down you'd rather be with a hassle-free member of your own sex. :)
- sacrificing your own happiness and prosperity having children telling yourself over and over that you're happy despite noticing every ad for cheap airfares out of the country. :)
- assuming debt so much that you have to stay at a job you can't stand
- thinking you may actually get to enjoy life again, but only after you retire when you know full-well you'll never be able to
- self-medicating with good tasting, if not good nutrious food, alcohol, and drugs.
- lying on your death bed decades before you should looking back on how you wasted your life doing nothing of consequence, sacrificing happiness to do what your culture brainwashed you to do, and hoping there isn't an afterlife given how lousy this one was.

"Typical" may be impossible to codify. There are many variations in lifestyles resulting from an infinite variety of factors.

But consider this: The lifestyle that Americans consider to be the "ideal" domestic situation is pretty constant throughout our society. During the woman's child-bearing years the vast majority of people would prefer, if possible and practicable, to live in households with one earner (the Husband) and the Wife staying at home to nurture the kids and manage the household.

One could fill a small pamphlet with the various reasons why most people don't live this lifestyle, but I maintain that it is the one that people consider this to be ideal. And keep in mind we the people who endorse this lifestyle may not be in that situation because (a) the husband's income is insufficient to support it, (b) we haven't found a suitable spouse yet, (c) we are divorced (and used to have that lifestyle), (d) kids are grown and out of the house or (e) we are widowed. That doesn't change the fact that we consider the traditional family lifestyle to be ideal.

If you talk to single moms/welfare queens, even they aspired to this ideal domestic situation, but gave up on finding such a responsible, successful husband and did not want to forego the "joys" of having kids just because an ideal mate could not be found.

The number of women who truly aspired to a lifestyle different from this ideal are rare. Even highly successful women would gladly have dropped out of the job market while their kids were young if the income was there and they did not feel that they would be sabotaging their careers.

Forum List

Back