What is a feminist?

I think feminism, like every other "ism", has changed dramatically over time as the goals and needs have changed. But it's still and always was at the heart about the same thing - being not just treated outwardly but accepted and respected as equal. Equal doesn't have to mean the same - and I think that's what a lot of the younger feminists have embraced. But the core concept is unchanged, it's the means to that end that's different. Of course, now we can afford to do it differently. ;)

Which brings us more or less full circle.

Men and women are not 'equal' they are DIFFERENT. Equal pay for equal work is not EQUALITY it is simply being paid fairly. Somehow the whole feminist movement blossomed into 'I am woman hear me roar' instead of actually exhibiting their feminine differences. Men who act like men are considered 'jerks' by some feminists. Boys are becoming feminized and men are generally thought of as expendable by the more radical factions of feminism.

Various forms of feminism, as characterized by the Eagle Forum to NOW, as are various forms of masculinism. No real man is fearful of centrist feminism, he supports it and its goals.

Fear? Just stating fact. Your the one who brought up fear. And NO I don't support radical feminism. I see no need for it and have no use for those that do. It's really the same as men acting like jerks only the reverse. Can we call some women 'jerks?' Run along and check with your feminazi friends.

I think the distinction should be made between the militant feminist who is usually a pro-woman, anti-male type, and the activist feminist who is out trying to change the world and the feminist that I believe I am and I suppose have been my whole life.

For me being a feminist means that I, not anybody else, gets to decide who and what I will be, who I will become, what I will dream about, shoot for, aspire to be. I will be limited only by what I am able to achieve and not anybody's preconceived ideas about what that should be.

That means that I can be a stay at home mom if I want to be or a professional woman if that is what I want to be or both, and I don't need to feel dininished in the least by my choice.

I can cry at the movies and still be tough as nails if I need to be. Appreciating and enjoying my femininity does not make me weak in the least, nor does appreciating and respecting men who I do see as different from women.

I can work at anything I have the skill set and mental and physical ability to do, and I deserve to be paid the same as a guy IF I'm doing the same work the guy does and have put in the same hours and effort and can accomplish the same production. But I don't need to be accommodated because I'm a woman, wife, mother. I just want a fair shot at what I know I can do.

I just want to be acknowledged, and appreciated, and respected for who I am rather than for what I demand.

I am woman. Hear me roar.

Everyone wants to be acknowledged, appreciated and respected. The way you get that is by identifying on a human level with folks and sharing basic human feelings. Choosing the right folks is part of the trick.

Roaring will accomplish being respected for what you demand though. If that's what you want. The only problem is, you have to constantly roar to get those lazy fools to do what you WANT them to do. In the end it is tiring and boring.

Last edited:
The kind of roaring I mean isn't the kind that demands anything.

It is the expression of what we once referred to as the ILIAC. ILIAC = I am lovable and capable or, more to the point, I am comfortable in my own skin and don't see myself as superior to anybody else, but neither do I need to take a back seat to anybody else. I wil respect you as much as you'll let me, but disrespect me at your peril.

Or something like that.

Roaring always demands that folks who are going peacefully about their lives pay attention. When men do that it's called 'anger' and we have to attend 'anger management' classes.

It is the expression of what we once referred to as the ILIAC. ILIAC = I am lovable and capable or, more to the point, I am comfortable in my own skin and don't see myself as superior to anybody else, but neither do I need to take a back seat to anybody else. I wil respect you as much as you'll let me, but disrespect me at your peril.

Or something like that.

OK so you are roaring...you got my attention...now you want me to acknowledge the fact that you are lovable, capable and comfortable in your own skin and that you are not superior or take a 'back seat' to anyone. You're gonna hafta PROVE that and roaring won't cut it.

I don't 'let' anyone respect me I expect to EARN their respect and I expect the same of others.

so much confusion bettween equality and sexuality here to wade through. also much in the way of institutionalized practice vs. what we are taught to preach on the subject.

there is a timeline to the feminist movement, it had it's lumious members that made actual headway , not only in terms of litigation, but also in how our society thinks

but like any movement that achieves a goal, what do the orginizations do after they are met?

are they actually useful as watchdogs for what was won, or do they degrade into extreemism , perhaps to the detriment of past victories?

of note are the many misandrist fools who do just that, like Delta Burke making noise about the 'boys scouts' being gender exclusive

~S~

Men and women are not 'equal' they are DIFFERENT. Equal pay for equal work is not EQUALITY it is simply being paid fairly. Somehow the whole feminist movement blossomed into 'I am woman hear me roar' instead of actually exhibiting their feminine differences. Men who act like men are considered 'jerks' by some feminists. Boys are becoming feminized and men are generally thought of as expendable by the more radical factions of feminism.

Various forms of feminism, as characterized by the Eagle Forum to NOW, as are various forms of masculinism. No real man is fearful of centrist feminism, he supports it and its goals.

Fear? Just stating fact. Your the one who brought up fear. And NO I don't support radical feminism. I see no need for it and have no use for those that do. It's really the same as men acting like jerks only the reverse. Can we call some women 'jerks?' Run along and check with your feminazi friends.

Your whole posture reeks of fear, kiddo. So tell it to your pastor. No real man is fearful of centrist feminism. You be a man, if this is what you are, and let women be women without you dictating how they are to be women.

Your whole posture reeks of fear, kiddo. So tell it to your pastor. No real man is fearful of centrist feminism. You be a man, if this is what you are, and let women be women without you dictating how they are to be women.

Save your breath, Jake. And count the days till the kiddies go back to school.

Roaring always demands that folks who are going peacefully about their lives pay attention. When men do that it's called 'anger' and we have to attend 'anger management' classes.

Or something like that.

OK so you are roaring...you got my attention...now you want me to acknowledge the fact that you are lovable, capable and comfortable in your own skin and that you are not superior or take a 'back seat' to anyone. You're gonna hafta PROVE that and roaring won't cut it.

I don't 'let' anyone respect me I expect to EARN their respect and I expect the same of others.

I think you're missing my point, but it wouldn't be the first time. I sometimes get too abstract for folks to appreciate. :)

I have already earned and deserve respect by living my life as I choose to live it short of interfering with others living their lives as they choose to live them. And all those others have already earned and deserve respect too when they live their lives without interfering with others.

But you disrespect me when you presume what I want you to acknowledge or when you presume anything else about me that I have not expressed.

And you'll probably get a bit of a roar for that every time you try it.

Last edited:
Scroll to post #67, please.

Well if you want to compare pundit to pundit, that's a whole different story. Ever listen to Laura Ingraham? Ever check out her weblog? She's a real piece of work.

Are prominent conservative pundits really in a catfight over body fat? - By Dahlia Lithwick - Slate Magazine

I love Laura. I don't get to hear her on the radio anymore, but I have her website pasted into the faves bank. She's quite a woman.

You're link quotes her as referring to a liberal lady as "plus sized."

Shocking. Despicable.

She's a frequent guest on Imus in the Morning, and the woman is off-the-wall insanely insulting. She once was a fairly rational person, but her neurons have gone haywire ever since Obama got elected.

I love how the cons is this thread are bitching about liberal women attacking con women, while they call feminists dykes or ugly. It is quite hilarious.

Hypocrisy remains a foreign concept to many of them.

04-Barbarella-Jane-Fonda-Getty.jpg

steinem.jpg

Do you fear men?

Save your breath, Jake. And count the days till the kiddies go back to school.

Yeah Jake...You heard her...Do as you are told!! :lol:

Or something like that.

I think you're missing my point, but it wouldn't be the first time. I sometimes get too abstract for folks to appreciate. :)

I have already earned and deserve respect by living my life as I choose to live it short of interfering with others living their lives as they choose to live them. And all those others have already earned and deserve respect too when they live their lives without interfering with others.

But you disrespect me when you presume what I want you to acknowledge or when you presume anything else about me that I have not expressed.

Sorry I presumed you wanted to have a discussion.

And you'll probably get a bit of a roar for that every time you try it.

I'm sure there are a lot of roars in you...:lol:

I consider myself a "feminist". I believe in equal pay for equal work; I am opposed to human trafficking and the sex trade; I deplore domestic violence and deadbeat dads and believe there should be harsher penalties; I am against discrimination when it comes to pregnancy and childbirth; and I fully support raising our daughters to be leaders or homemakers - whatever they choose to do.

NOW would reject my application on the spot if they saw my cute elephant jewelry. :lol:

You can think that, if it makes you feel better. But I'm pretty certain they'd have no problem taking your money.

ETA: What does NOW have to do with feminism anyway? They're a special interest group - a PAC for like-minded people. They don't have a monopoly on the term feminist.

Try telling NOW they don't speak for feminists in general. Hell, most of the time, they like to pretend they speak for WOMEN in general.

I consider myself a "feminist". I believe in equal pay for equal work; I am opposed to human trafficking and the sex trade; I deplore domestic violence and deadbeat dads and believe there should be harsher penalties; I am against discrimination when it comes to pregnancy and childbirth; and I fully support raising our daughters to be leaders or homemakers - whatever they choose to do.

NOW would reject my application on the spot if they saw my cute elephant jewelry. :lol:

You can think that, if it makes you feel better. But I'm pretty certain they'd have no problem taking your money.

ETA: What does NOW have to do with feminism anyway? They're a special interest group - a PAC for like-minded people. They don't have a monopoly on the term feminist.

Try telling NOW they don't speak for feminists in general. Hell, most of the time, they like to pretend they speak for WOMEN in general.

Yeah not only that but they would like to see all men dickless.

I was a charter member of NOW when it organized in another state. I sadly removed myself and have disassociated myself from that organization when it became obvious that it was not at all interested in furthering the interests of women. It was interested in furthering the interests of liberal/leftist women only. And thus, to me, it because dishonest and just another shill for the Democratic Party. And I was a registered Democrat at the time too, but not interested in participating in a partisan advocacy group.

I was a charter member of NOW when it organized in another state. I sadly removed myself and have disassociated myself from that organization when it became obvious that it was not at all interested in furthering the interests of women. It was interested in furthering the interests of liberal/leftist women only. And thus, to me, it because dishonest and just another shill for the Democratic Party. And I was a registered Democrat at the time too, but not interested in participating in a partisan advocacy group.

That's not true. If NOW had leaned right you would have stayed.

You keep pretending you're non-partisan but your posts prove otherwise.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back