What I have feared for Netflix for a long time... is happening rapidly.

You can get access to streaming services through Comcast. I get both Netflix and Amazon Prime through Comcast. Although Comcast does not charge anything, you still must have a sign on to the streaming services. It's a bit expense but really nice to be able watch all the content from streaming services as well as all the Comcast content on a single big screen TV without messing around with the Internet or computers. So if I want to watch a movie or a series, I can just speak the name of movie or series into the remote and it will search through both Comcast and the streaming services. When found, I just click on it and the selection and it plays.
Comcast has apps for about 20 streaming service and a total of about 100 apps for other Internet entertainment venues.
That is all fine and good Flop, and if that floats your boat and you want to spend the money, that's up to you. but as I alluded to above, I worked in the global telecom and electronics industry for years and am not a consumer. I get more TV programming than I can shake a stick at for free. And I have literally about 1600 premium select movies and other programming I can view at will WITHOUT going on the web or any cloud plus hundreds and hundreds more saved on other media. I have absolutely no need for streaming.

And since I get my internet service through FIOS fiber optic, if I did get streaming, it would be through them not a cable hub based Comcast. But then, Verizon would make me buy their TV service which I neither want nor need so we are right back at ground zero. I won't be pressured into buying something I don't want or need simply to get something else I do. If consumers would quit buying into all this crap with 8 boxes on their TV stand and 15 services so they can brag they have 5 HBOs, 4 Cinemaxes, and 9 other services they cannot begin to even use all of, companies would be forced to provide us with just what we want, the WAY we want it, in a simple and streamlined manner.
I think you're talking about un-bundling services such as channel offerings and streaming. Cable companies years ago priced their offering by channel and for a while the FCC required the companies to allow customers to subscribe to just the channels they wanted with some exceptions. Apparently that's gone. Comcast in my area offers about half dozen packages.

It seems like everyone hates cable but I don't. I like having a single interface to home entertainment so no matter what channel or streaming service I access, my remote works the same. When I search, I see the results from streaming and channels on the same screen. I get one bill a month instead of 3 or 4. And most of all I like not having to deal with the Internet. When I want to watch a movie, I don't want to see messages popping up that says my computer has lost contact with the DNS, or I am no longer connected to the Internet or the network adapter needs to be reset, or a page was not found. I put up with that shit when I'm working on the net because I have to but when it's time to relax and enjoy myself, I want to do just that.

You can get access to streaming services through Comcast. I get both Netflix and Amazon Prime through Comcast. Although Comcast does not charge anything, you still must have a sign on to the streaming services. It's a bit expense but really nice to be able watch all the content from streaming services as well as all the Comcast content on a single big screen TV without messing around with the Internet or computers. So if I want to watch a movie or a series, I can just speak the name of movie or series into the remote and it will search through both Comcast and the streaming services. When found, I just click on it and the selection and it plays.
Comcast has apps for about 20 streaming service and a total of about 100 apps for other Internet entertainment venues.
That is all fine and good Flop, and if that floats your boat and you want to spend the money, that's up to you. but as I alluded to above, I worked in the global telecom and electronics industry for years and am not a consumer. I get more TV programming than I can shake a stick at for free. And I have literally about 1600 premium select movies and other programming I can view at will WITHOUT going on the web or any cloud plus hundreds and hundreds more saved on other media. I have absolutely no need for streaming.

And since I get my internet service through FIOS fiber optic, if I did get streaming, it would be through them not a cable hub based Comcast. But then, Verizon would make me buy their TV service which I neither want nor need so we are right back at ground zero. I won't be pressured into buying something I don't want or need simply to get something else I do. If consumers would quit buying into all this crap with 8 boxes on their TV stand and 15 services so they can brag they have 5 HBOs, 4 Cinemaxes, and 9 other services they cannot begin to even use all of, companies would be forced to provide us with just what we want, the WAY we want it, in a simple and streamlined manner.
I think you're talking about un-bundling services such as channel offerings and streaming. Cable companies years ago priced their offering by channel and for a while the FCC required the companies to allow customers to subscribe to just the channels they wanted with some exceptions. Apparently that's gone. Comcast in my area offers about half dozen packages.

It seems like everyone hates cable but I don't. I like having a single interface to home entertainment so no matter what channel or streaming service I access, my remote works the same. When I search, I see the results from streaming and channels on the same screen. I get one bill a month instead of 3 or 4. And most of all I like not having to deal with the Internet. When I want to watch a movie, I don't want to see messages popping up that says my computer has lost contact with the DNS, or I am no longer connected to the Internet or the network adapter needs to be reset, or a page was not found. I put up with that shit when I'm working on the net because I have to but when it's time to relax and enjoy myself, I want to do just that.
Then you should look into getting a Roku.
I have had one for years. I think using multiple streaming services without one is nuts.
And it also has a fantastic feature of being able to search across all of the services you use simultaneously.
Example... you want to watch...say.... Money ball... so you search for it and see you can get it on 5 different services..and bingo! On Prime it is free.
And it is infinitely faster than the smart TV interface

If it's cheap content you want and if you still have a VHS tape machine then hit the thrift shops before it's too late.

Tons of movies and packaged TV series on VHS at like 5-for $1.00 at many shops.

Non blu-ray DVD's - much the same.

Get a 5-year supply for about $20.

Or to really do it on the cheap walk to the public library and check stuff out.

OK, so not the latest and greatest "viewing experience" but you liked it when it was new and you won't enjoy it any less now.

That's great if that works for you. Frankly, so many channels are of such low value and interest that if they weren't bundled with the ones people want, no one would buy them! But there is a way to sell channels unbundled but the companies don't want to do it that way. I used to have Dish and when their gear broke, they didn't even want to come out to find what the problem was! They wanted me to pay to repair their equipment that I rented and wanted to continue to bill me for the programming package I was no longer even receiving! And when I canceled, they refused to even come get their gear and tried to get me to pay for it! Fuck all of these companies.

The purpose to cable was really to get signal to places with bad reception that couldn't get it over the air. I've had all that interface where you see everything on the same screen. But there is no interface to handle the variety or stuff I use. Here is a picture of my video system from back in the 1990s. Behind the rack there was enough cabling that it looked like a telephone central office.

Phase Two Lower.jpg

I just have no interest nor need for streaming, I've worked years in anticipation of it to avoid needing it. I get no bills, I don't need to deal with the internet, and I don't need a network adapter. It would be foolish to pay for more programming when I already have enough top, select, premium programming that I probably can't go through it all and view it all once again before I am dead.

Last edited:
Brief history of me and Netflix - you may not care about:
I signed up for Netflix streaming the day they first offered it. I am literally among the first 100 people who signed up. This had some benefits. I still paid only $7.99/mo all the way to just a few years ago. When the premium versions came out, I got the features automatically and at no additional costs. When they raised my price from $7.99 2 or 3 years ago to accommodate 4k Ultra they sent me an actual mailed letter saying they were raising my subscription by $1 but as a founding member I get the full 4k premium at the basic price, and my sub $ will always be basic with premium benefits.

On to the thread:
Netflix has been amazing for years. Never commercials, always lower price then all other services, and a vast collection of things to watch.
Not so much anymore.
The giant corporate competitors are collectively removing their content from Netflix to prop up their own that is more expensive, not 4k (without paying a lot more) with 1/100th the content. And with commercials, unless you pay more.
What is happening right now in the streaming world is it is slowly but surely becoming the very model of business that cord cutters got away from - pay more and more and more across multiple services to get content you want, buried in a plethora of content you don't want. Just like cable TV.
I cancelled cable the last day of Dec- all I used the TV for really is back ground noise, which I can get from you tube-
I do watch amazon prime at night while playing solitaire- I've seen some good movies and the Bosch series I enjoy.
One movie I searched for, "Dead Man Walking" with Bruce Willis isn't included with my prime acct but could be bought or rented- oh well- his and amazon's loss is my gain
Racing season for the World of Outlaws is about to get into full swing and I stream their races on Dirtvision-
I loved the Bosch series. I may watch it again as it has been long enough since I last watched it and I can't remember that much. I do love my Amazon Prime Video much better than my years at Netflix which I dropped more than two years ago when it was becoming too PC for my tastes in content.

Really nice when you drop by, sis.

Hope you're keeping yourself well.....I'm in prison here in NYC.

Bosch.....I read every Connolly/Bosch book....but the TV guy didn't fit my imagination.....

You stay well.....come back soon!

Bosch.....I read every Connolly/Bosch book....but the TV guy didn't fit my imagination.....
I've read all the Bosch series as well and the tv guy doesn't fit the imagination or even the description in the books- but, Matthew McConaughay made an excellent Lincoln Lawyer - now I can't even stream the new series as Amazon and I got crossways over a different issue and I cancelled my prime subscription- so, I'm catching up with Longmire on Netflix, a series I really liked- and I've read all the Craig Johnson Longmire books :tongue:
I've read all the Reacher books too except the latest- and Tom Cruise ain't no Jack Reacher

I've read all the Bosch series as well and the tv guy doesn't fit the imagination or even the description in the books- but, Matthew McConaughay made an excellent Lincoln Lawyer - now I can't even stream the new series as Amazon and I got crossways over a different issue and I cancelled my prime subscription- so, I'm catching up with Longmire on Netflix, a series I really liked- and I've read all the Craig Johnson Longmire books :tongue:
I've read all the Reacher books too except the latest- and Tom Cruise ain't no Jack Reacher

I have an immense grudge against the little guy for imagining he could play the giant Reacher!
The films are unwatchable.

I'm gonna look into Longmire on your recommendation.

Ooops....not found on Scribd.com.......too bad.

I'm gonna look into Longmire on your recommendation.
The characters on Longmire are pretty accurate the only exception being the female deputy-

Oh, the new Spenser movie with Mark Wahlberg is pretty good but it ain't the Spenser from the Robert B. Parker (or Ace Atkins Spenser novels) novels by a long shot. I don't know about the book that's out supporting it- and won't know since I'm not going to read it.

That's great if that works for you. Frankly, so many channels are of such low value and interest that if they weren't bundled with the ones people want, no one would buy them! But there is a way to sell channels unbundled but the companies don't want to do it that way. I used to have Dish and when their gear broke, they didn't even want to come out to find what the problem was! They wanted me to pay to repair their equipment that I rented and wanted to continue to bill me for the programming package I was no longer even receiving! And when I canceled, they refused to even come get their gear and tried to get me to pay for it! Fuck all of these companies.

The purpose to cable was really to get signal to places with bad reception that couldn't get it over the air. I've had all that interface where you see everything on the same screen. But there is no interface to handle the variety or stuff I use. Here is a picture of my video system from back in the 1990s. Behind the rack there was enough cabling that it looked like a telephone central office.

View attachment 318004

I just have no interest nor need for streaming, I've worked years in anticipation of it to avoid needing it. I get no bills, I don't need to deal with the internet, and I don't need a network adapter. It would be foolish to pay for more programming when I already have enough top, select, premium programming that I probably can't go through it all and view it all once again before I am dead.
Different strokes for different folks. Whatever you are looking for you can find it. Me, I want simplicity, to settle down in my easy chair pop a top and surf the channels with 5,000 moves at my finger tips, and God knows how many series. Most important, I don't want have to deal with troubleshooting internet problems, having to call my internet provider, login on to software companies to search fixes, applying fixes, upgrading software or hardware, dealing with content providers, and hardware providers. I just want lots of content at my finger tips, and easy method of finding it and no problems to deal with. Comcast seems to work pretty well for me except when I call them which is not very often.

Last edited:
I had a Comcast Bundle- the subscription rate was going to go to 188 bucks a month- AND they had recently (a few mos prior) removed 3 of the channels I watched saying I had to subscribe to the sports channel to get them- a couple mos prior to my issues with their price structuring I had a technician to my place to check on internet speed- after he completed his task he told me I didn't really need to internet speed I was paying for- bless his heart- come renewal time I cancelled the TV portion and lowered my internet speed one tier- my rate went from 168 bucks (proposed to go to 188) to 67.25 bucks a month- I subscribe to Dirtvision which streams World of Outlaw races for 39 bucks a month and netflix which is free right now but will be 15 bucks a month for the top of the line- since I used the TV during the day as mostly back ground noise I now only have it on a couple hrs a day (in the evening) - no, I will NEVER sign up for TV again.

Different strokes for different folks. Whatever you are looking for you can find it. Me, I want simplicity, to settle down in my easy chair pop a top and surf the channels with 5,000 moves at my finger tips, and God knows how many series. Most important, I don't want have to deal with troubleshooting internet problems, having to call my internet provider, login on to software companies to search fixes, applying fixes, upgrading software or hardware, dealing with content providers, and hardware providers. I just want lots of content at my finger tips, and easy method of finding it and no problems to deal with. Comcast seems to work pretty well for me except when I call them which is not very often.
Well, I hear you, just that it isn't worth all the money, equipment and crap involved to me. I have what you describe, just that my 5,000 movies, et al., is all self contained w/o the need to be connected to, dependent on or paying anyone else. And rather than 5,000 pieces of crap, it is all the best of the best selected over years and proven quality material. Stuff I know I will want to watch.

But the push is on, they really want everyone aboard the streaming train, and I just got an email from a service which provides a "TV Guide" for people getting OTA broadcast TV (as TV was intended), and they are even pushing streaming, there must be big money to be had. They gave me a link to ALL of the streaming services with all of their programming, and I thought you might be interested in it.

Frankly, I looked through some of it and:
  1. Most of the stuff was programming I already get or can get on regular TV! All streaming allows is for you to watch it when you want to see it. Me, I Time-Shift: I record stuff I'm interested in on my DVR, then play it back when I want to see it and skip over the commercials.
  2. Very VERY little of the programming was anything I'd be interested in watching.
  3. I think I counted on one hand with fingers left over stuff I'd be interested to see, just to see if I liked it.
I just don't see streaming for me in my future.

I had a Comcast Bundle- the subscription rate was going to go to 188 bucks a month- AND they had recently (a few mos prior) removed 3 of the channels I watched saying I had to subscribe to the sports channel to get them- a couple mos prior to my issues with their price structuring I had a technician to my place to check on internet speed- after he completed his task he told me I didn't really need to internet speed I was paying for- bless his heart- come renewal time I cancelled the TV portion and lowered my internet speed one tier- my rate went from 168 bucks (proposed to go to 188) to 67.25 bucks a month- I subscribe to Dirtvision which streams World of Outlaw races for 39 bucks a month and netflix which is free right now but will be 15 bucks a month for the top of the line- since I used the TV during the day as mostly back ground noise I now only have it on a couple hrs a day (in the evening) - no, I will NEVER sign up for TV again.
Wow, wow, wow! $2,000 a year just to watch TV! And Comcast is such a dirtball outfit IMO. All that money and they are still removing programming from you and always looking to raise your rates! I wonder why they didn't sell you the right internet speed to begin with! Man, they sure got you by the balls, and it won't be long before they cut your packages and raise your rates again soon.

That sounds like the time they dropped TCM and added it to the Sports package which made no sense. At the time I was paying $220/mo for internet, phone, and cable which included only 1 premium channel and two DVRs. So I did what I have done several times. I called them up, complained and told them I'm going to drop cable if they can't do better. They gave me a new package that included what I wanted plus all the premium movie channels and faster internet for about $20 cheaper. Since their deals always expire, I expect sometime this year or next, my bill will jump up $20 or $30 and I'll have to call again and threaten to drop the service. One of these days, they will just cancel it and I'll have to subscribe to a number of steaming services. I know it will be cheaper but I'll miss the ease of use of Comcast.

Well, I hear you, just that it isn't worth all the money, equipment and crap involved to me. I have what you describe, just that my 5,000 movies, et al., is all self contained w/o the need to be connected to, dependent on or paying anyone else. And rather than 5,000 pieces of crap, it is all the best of the best selected over years and proven quality material. Stuff I know I will want to watch.

But the push is on, they really want everyone aboard the streaming train, and I just got an email from a service which provides a "TV Guide" for people getting OTA broadcast TV (as TV was intended), and they are even pushing streaming, there must be big money to be had. They gave me a link to ALL of the streaming services with all of their programming, and I thought you might be interested in it.

Frankly, I looked through some of it and:
  1. Most of the stuff was programming I already get or can get on regular TV! All streaming allows is for you to watch it when you want to see it. Me, I Time-Shift: I record stuff I'm interested in on my DVR, then play it back when I want to see it and skip over the commercials.
  2. Very VERY little of the programming was anything I'd be interested in watching.
  3. I think I counted on one hand with fingers left over stuff I'd be interested to see, just to see if I liked it.
I just don't see streaming for me in my future.
If you own your your DVR can you record movies off streaming services. I wasn't able to with Netflix.

As I said earlier, I think the next big change is going to be a service that consolidates streaming services. So you login one time and pay one bill. You'll have the ability to search all the streaming services in your subscription. Then they'll add some live TV and we will have a cable service with the internet replacing the cable.

Last edited:
I can imagine Tom Cruise at 5' 7" playing Reacher.

Then you can certainly imagine socialism being successful.

How about spinning straw into gold?

Now that's a pretty blatant attempt to divert a discussion to political crap in forum dedicated to reviews.

Now that's a pretty blatant attempt to divert a discussion to political crap in forum dedicated to reviews.

"Divert"???

It appears I've uncovered yet another of your educational elisions.

Antonio Gramsci, Italian Marxist theoretician and founding member and one-time leader of the Communist Party of Italy. Gramsci’s motto is that of liberals today: “that all life is "political."

How did you spend your time, I mean, in place of an education?

"Divert"???

It appears I've uncovered yet another of your educational elisions.

Antonio Gramsci, Italian Marxist theoretician and founding member and one-time leader of the Communist Party of Italy. Gramsci’s motto is that of liberals today: “that all life is "political."

How did you spend your time, I mean, in place of an education?
Again which has no relevance in this thread.

Forum List

Back