What happens if the earth reversed its rotation

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Your dead !!!
Bad news

If it’s an abrupt stop then fast restart of rotational spin . You would go flying and dying like a piece of wood in a tornado along with every other object !!

if we’re talking about a very slow stop then slow reverse then you better have a boat !!
The oceans would be unleashed and flood every continent

Lois Lane would be alive.

04dd14b99fece9bcafb301dd018170f5c828ca544a91c11410454cc28921d6b1.jpg

It would be nice to be the first place where things happen instead of always behind the east coast.

Magnets would all have to be re-labeled ...
If your compass is pointing North than it’s really pointing to the South poll
Therefore , we should relabel the NP to the SP as magnets repel

Technically if you went do north ..you would most likely end up in NW Canada

RE: What happens if the earth reversed its rotation
⁜→ ReinyDays, Quasar44, et al,

BLUF: More than likely, "what happens" depends on the proximate cause... I'm assuming you are referring to the Magnetic Poles.

(COMMENT)

My first approximation would be that some significant space body of some mass would have a near-miss with Earth. The gravitational fields would momentarily entangle causing the Planetary body to spin or swivel.

Currently, the Earth Axis of Rotation is ≈ 23.5º off the perpendicular line to the Earth Ecliptic. If the near-miss entanglement induced a spin or swivel of between 170º to 230º it would give the effect of a sudden and rapid shift in the poles. However, the Magnetic Poles are naturally shifting anyway. (See the Chart)

magnetic-pole-shift-2.jpg
earthaxis1jpg-2568190_lg.jpg

It depends on many factors. The poles have shifted several times in Earth Geomagnetic History. It may be doing so again. The US Government has not been much on supporting scientific research. But Project SWARM by the European Space Agency has been investigating this shift for a couple of decades now.

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R

RE: What happens if the earth reversed its rotation
⁜→ ReinyDays, Quasar44, et al,

BLUF: More than likely, "what happens" depends on the proximate cause... I'm assuming you are referring to the Magnetic Poles.

(COMMENT)

My first approximation would be that some significant space body of some mass would have a near-miss with Earth. The gravitational fields would momentarily entangle causing the Planetary body to spin or swivel.

Currently, the Earth Axis of Rotation is ≈ 23.5º off the perpendicular line to the Earth Ecliptic. If the near-miss entanglement induced a spin or swivel of between 170º to 230º it would give the effect of a sudden and rapid shift in the poles. However, the Magnetic Poles are naturally shifting anyway. (See the Chart)

It depends on many factors. The poles have shifted several times in Earth Geomagnetic History. It may be doing so again. The US Government has not been much on supporting scientific research. But Project SWARM by the European Space Agency has been investigating this shift for a couple of decades now.

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R

The OP specified the rotation be reversed, not flipping the Earth ... as such the magnetic field wouldn't reverse ... the "north" on our magnets would still align with the Arctic Pole ... except this would become the South Pole now ... thus current compasses would point to the south magnetic pole, even though this is still located in the Arctic region ...

Cyclonic motion would remain the same ... counter-clockwise in the Australian hemisphere and clockwise in the Canadian hemisphere ... although if this change was sudden as the OP implies, any existing cyclone would continue to spin the the direction it had been spinning, i.e. retrograde ... but after they all died off, any new cyclones would be spinning the correct direction ...

Also noteworthy that the closer to the poles we are, the less of an impact we'll experience ... I'm not saying a 10 mph impact is fun or easy, but at 89º 45' that's all we'd feel ... and would not be even noticeable at the pole ... so there's that ... never give up hope ...

The north and the South Pole are different than the geological poles

Well of course. The Geological Poles work at a college of Geology in Poland. Those other two guys just hang around freezing their asses off.
I went to check out the free style wrestling class and no way in hell
It is now college wrestlers , UFC fighters and other monsters
I could not believe the intensity and talent
I can’t mention any names from mma

They even hired a national champ as coach and they were doing 5 min rounds for 30 min
Yikes

The north and the South Pole are different than the geological poles

Well of course. The Geological Poles work at a college of Geology in Poland. Those other two guys just hang around freezing their asses off.
I went to check out the free style wrestling class and no way in hell
It is now college wrestlers , UFC fighters and other monsters
I could not believe the intensity and talent

Enriched input results in mastery.

Forum List

Back