What does your child's name say about YOU?

I have a couple of questions, if I may.

What do y'all think of the name Finnegan?
A good friend of mine is pregnant, due next month and is having a boy. This is the name her and her husband picked out.

And .. have you ever, or how often do you go to call one of your children, and end up calling the name of another one of your children? I know I'm not alone here. Sometimes I just end up saying .... "whatever your name is!" No disrespect to my children, it's just my frustration because I've messed up their names again. LOL
I like that name. Finn is a good, strong nickname.

If you plan on using a nickname fron the start though, why not just name the kid Finn and be done with it?
No way! How would the kid know his mother REALLY means it when she calls him using his full name?

Think, sweetie! ;)

A good friend of mine is pregnant, due next month and is having a boy. This is the name her and her husband picked out.

And .. have you ever, or how often do you go to call one of your children, and end up calling the name of another one of your children? I know I'm not alone here. Sometimes I just end up saying .... "whatever your name is!" No disrespect to my children, it's just my frustration because I've messed up their names again. LOL
I like that name. Finn is a good, strong nickname.

If you plan on using a nickname fron the start though, why not just name the kid Finn and be done with it?

I thought of asking my friend that exact question, but I was still trying to play it off as if I liked it.

I named all three of my girls. My ex-wife wanted some really strange names. My first was somewhat named after me, the last tow were given names that weren't family names, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Erica
Ally
Tessa

-TSO

Aint that a suppository?

j/k

Finnegan is a good Irish name and as Si said, Finn is a fine nick.

My boy has 18 paternal (great, great great, etc. grandfathers and uncles) ancestors and 3 maternal ancestors named Daniel, and he seems quite pleased with the idea.

My wife wouldn't let me name him for my grandfather, though I think that if my grandfather could be named after a president, Grover Cleveland was a fine fellow to be named after.

I kind of like the name Finnegan. Didn't use to but I do now. Of course, Julia Roberts named one of her twins Finnegan, the other is Hazel. Will it be the 'it' name when he's in school with lots of Finns? It is a good name, though. If they go with that they need to go with a good, strong middle name . . . like Michael so when he gets in trouble the parents can yell "Finnegan Michael, you get in here right now young man". Gotta have a good yelling name. :D

I frequently mess up what I'm calling the kids, mostly when I'm mad (but not always). They frequently get called Penny . . . that's the dog. lol

Last edited:

Aint that a suppository?

j/k

Finnegan is a good Irish name and as Si said, Finn is a fine nick.

:lol:

I had to Google that.

I kind of like the name Finnegan. Didn't use to but I do now. Of course, Julia Roberts named one of her twins Finnegan, the other is Hazel. Will it be the 'it' name when he's in school with lots of Finns? It is a good name, though. If they go with that they need to go with a good, strong middle name . . . like Michael so when he gets in trouble the parents can yell "Finnegan Michael, you get in here right now young man". Gotta have a good yelling name. :D

I frequently mess up what I'm calling the kids, mostly when I'm mad (but not always). They frequently get called Penny . . . that's the dog. lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Her first three children have Irish names, so she wanted to keep with the theme.

As far as a good yelling name? Oh yeah! That's when my kids know their in trouble when I use both their first and middle names. :lol:

Sorry Zoom-boing ... I'm still working out the quote issue.

Last edited:
^ Take out the backslash in the first quote and it will fix it.

I wanted to name our son Daniel Joseph but the hubs was all 'I used to work with a Dan and he was a dope . . . " so, no Danny. Several other names we liked . . . James, John (hubs name) but there were so many in the family so we went with Kevin Michael. It was the first name that we both agreed on, even though it was something like the 4th name down on the list and there weren't any Kevins in the family. Hubs nephew just had his second kid and named him . . . Kevin.

Last edited:
I won't tell you my first name but I will say that when I was a kid it was an unusual name. I received an endless litany of ribbing and teasing because of it.

Needless to say, I hate my first name.

And when I had the chance to name my son, I named him Bob.**

**I actually named him after my dad but I believe Bob is better than my name.

Is your name Shitbuckle? If so, I agree that is a pretty bad name.

I won't tell you my first name but I will say that when I was a kid it was an unusual name. I received an endless litany of ribbing and teasing because of it.

I was thinking much simpler . . . like Dick.

I was thinking much simpler . . . like Dick.

Timberly. Jimothy.

:lol:

I frequently mess up what I'm calling the kids, mostly when I'm mad (but not always). They frequently get called Penny . . . that's the dog. lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Her first three children have Irish names, so she wanted to keep with the theme.

As far as a good yelling name? Oh yeah! That's when my kids know their in trouble when I use both their first and middle names. :lol:

Sorry Zoom-boing ... I'm still working out the quote issue.

I remember Bill Cosby's routine about he and his brother growing up to think their names were Jesus Christ and God Dammit because their dad used it so much in yelling at them. :lol:

Finnegan is a good name for a pet goat but not for a boy.

Celebrities aren't the only ones giving their babies unusual names. Compared with decades ago, parents are choosing less common names for kids, which could suggest an emphasis on uniqueness and individualism, according to new research.

Essentially, today's kids (and later adults) will stand out from classmates. For instance, in the 1950s, the average first-grade class of 30 children would have had at least one boy named James (top name in 1950), while in 2013, six classes will be necessary to find only one Jacob, even though that was the most common boys' name in 2007.

The researchers suspect the uptick of unusual baby names could be a sign of a change in culture from one that applauded fitting in to today's emphasis on being unique and standing out. When taken too far, however, this individualism could also lead to narcissism, according to study researcher Jean Twenge, of San Diego State University.

I think it is an indication of our culture becoming more narcissistic," Twenge said.

Past research has shown that back in the 1950s parents placed a lot of importance on a child being obedient, which has gone way down. "Parenting has become more permissive and more child-focused and [parents] are much more reluctant to be authority figures," Twenge said.

Parents Choosing More Unusual Baby Names Now - Yahoo! News

This is one of my pet peeves. It annoys me to no end when people stick apostrophes in the middle of a first name.

Anyone disagree with this?

My wife and I are expecting. I promise you that we agonized over the name. It was probably the toughest choice we have made so far.We wanted a name that was not too common, but one that wouldn't get his ass kicked later in life. I think we did pretty good.

Forum List

Back