CDZ What does "sole power" mean in the Constitution?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Much stock has been placed in the House's "sole power to impeach," but what does that really mean? If one reads Federalist #65 on Impeachment, it is clear that this does not authorize this procedure for any reason (or no reason) at all. Instead it means that no other institution in the government has this power.

The House of Representatives and Senate were chosen for this procedure because they represented the greatest number of elected officials, in the expectation that such a drastic action would only be taken if there was a national consensus to do so. Even though political parties had not yet formed, Hamilton had the foresight to warn against the partisan proceedings we are now witnessing:

there will always be the greatest danger that the decision will be regulated more by the comparative strength of parties, than by the real demonstrations of innocence or guilt.

Impeachment Clauses: Alexander Hamilton, Federalist, no. 65, 439--45

Even with checks and balances.............there will be factions.........and it is why they separated powers to 3 branches..............Because the faction would have to control all 3 with super majorities.

For it to be impeachment in the Senate...........they need 2/3rds vote..............ONLY EXTREME circumstances would get such a vote...........Why the rule is there to begin with.

So this temporary faction of Liberal Lunacy has a snowballs chance in hell in the Senate. So this is just a Political Attack and nothing more.

It is doubtful the Senate will hold a trial at all. They can vote to dismiss from the get go..........and end it.

Much stock has been placed in the House's "sole power to impeach," but what does that really mean? If one reads Federalist #65 on Impeachment, it is clear that this does not authorize this procedure for any reason (or no reason) at all. Instead it means that no other institution in the government has this power.

The House of Representatives and Senate were chosen for this procedure because they represented the greatest number of elected officials, in the expectation that such a drastic action would only be taken if there was a national consensus to do so. Even though political parties had not yet formed, Hamilton had the foresight to warn against the partisan proceedings we are now witnessing:

there will always be the greatest danger that the decision will be regulated more by the comparative strength of parties, than by the real demonstrations of innocence or guilt.

it means the House has the power to impeach the President.

it does highlight that we need to add voice to the Constitution where it is silent since nobody can say for sure what will trigger a probe.

Sole power
Sole: functioning independently and without assistance or interference

The House has the sole power to regarding all aspects of impeachment.

Pretty straightforward.

It means that the President can't dictate anything about impeachment.
Nor can the Senate.
Nor can the Supreme Court.

Only the House can decide on how impeachment works.

List of Individuals Impeached by the House of Representatives | US House of Representatives: History, Art & Archives

My favorite?
John Pickering
Impeached March 2, 1803, on charges of intoxication on the bench and unlawful handling of property claims

This happened a mere 20 years after the signing of the Constitution. Every person who voted for impeachment was alive when the Constitution was signed.

Then there was
Mark Delahey
Impeached February 28, 1873, on charges of intoxication on the bench

Sole power

Where did you come up with that ridiculous definition?

Definition of sole | Dictionary.com

Sole definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

You also misquote the Constitution:

Article I, Section 2, of the Constitution reads, “The House of Representatives shall chuse [sic] their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.”

Why am I not surprised?

Sole power

Where did you come up with that ridiculous definition?

Definition of sole | Dictionary.com

Sole definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

You also misquote the Constitution:

Article I, Section 2, of the Constitution reads, “The House of Representatives shall chuse [sic] their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.”

Why am I not surprised?

So you don't believe Webster?
Definition of SOLE

I didn't quote the Constitution- if I had I would have put my words in italics or quotation signs.

Do you have anything of substance?

Do you disagree with the Constitution that the House has the sole power regarding all aspects of impeachment?

Forum List

Back