What does "Season's Greetings" actually mean?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
When you say, "Merry Christmas," or "Happy Birthday," there is a coherent meaning to those words. You are wishing that the person you are talking to will have a merry/happy/joyous day on the occasion in question.

When you say, "Season's Greetings," all you are doing is mentioning that there are a number of greetings one uses at this time of year. It does not indicate that you are expressing those greetings, merely that you affirm that they exist.

In short, it is totally fucking meaningless.

At least, "Happy Holidays" is a form of well-wishing. Whatever holidays at this time of year that one celebrates, I hope that they are happy for you.

When you say, "Merry Christmas," or "Happy Birthday," there is a coherent meaning to those words. You are wishing that the person you are talking to will have a merry/happy/joyous day on the occasion in question.

When you say, "Season's Greetings," all you are doing is mentioning that there are a number of greetings one uses at this time of year. It does not indicate that you are expressing those greetings, merely that you affirm that they exist.

At least, "Happy Holidays" is a form of well-wishing. Whatever holidays at this time of year that one celebrates, I hope that they are happy for you.
RME, Howl at the moon and use your head. Season's Greetings or Greetings of the Season say the same thing.
greetings /grē′tĭng/

Plural form of greeting

noun​

1. A word or gesture of welcome or salutation.
  2. Salutation at meeting or in opening communication by letter or message; formal address; a form used in accosting or addressing.

How many shots does it take before you can no longer say Seasons Greetings I wonder?

Seasons Greetings are fine and dandy but watch out for the Seasoned Greasings! and be prepared!

If you weren't so hell-bent on whining so much, OP, you'd realize the folly of your irrationality.

"Season's greetings" simply means "well wishes and greetings to you during this season, whatever you celebrate or don't."

What the hell is wrong w/you people? It's as if you can't function unless you're some kind of victim.

Snap out of it!

source.gif

If you weren't so hell-bent on whining so much, OP, you'd realize the folly of your irrationality.

"Season's greetings" simply means "well wishes and greetings to you during this season, whatever you celebrate or don't."

What the hell is wrong w/you people? It's as if you can't function unless you're some kind of victim.

Snap out of it!

source.gif

When I was a little kid trick or treating, I always said "seasons Greetings!" at the door.. worked like a charm every time !

Are you running out of things to bitch about? This has to be toward the bottom of the barrel...right?

raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

Seems like I only see or hear it just prior to a sales pitch/commercial.

I'd say they all have no meaning.

When a person asks "how are you?" they're usually not asking how you are, but they're saying something as a greeting, or a way of starting a conversation, or just a social nicety.

"Merry Christmas" or anything else is the same. Do you say "Merry Christmas" and someone who is suicidal will think "Oh, I'm supposed to be freaking Merry now?"

As long as you say something positive, most people will simply accept it and carry on. It doesn't mean much other than "hey, here's a positive thing, let's carry on", Season greetings is similar.

Season’s Greetings means “Merry Christmas” to our Christian friends and “Happy Hanukah” to our Jewish friends since the holidays often fall pretty close together.

And its use is nothing to be concerned with.

Forum List

Back