What does "equilibrium temperature of CO2 = -80F" mean?

Crick

Gold Member
May 10, 2014
N/A
Several posts have recently made the above statement and attempted to use it to argue against the greenhouse effect. However, I haven't the faintest idea what this statement is intended to mean. I have made several requests for an explanation but none have been forthcoming. Any thoughts?

Several posts have recently made the above statement and attempted to use it to argue against the greenhouse effect. However, I haven't the faintest idea what this statement is intended to mean. I have made several requests for an explanation but none have been forthcoming. Any thoughts?

Just off the top of my head, that's the temperature it becomes stable enough that it doesn't evaporate?

Just guessing.

The equilibrium temperature at which co2 changes from a solid to a gas/gas to solid at a certain pressure.
It should read Celsius rather than Fahrenheit

Last edited:
This is what wikipedia says. I highlighted the operative terms.
Climate sensitivity - Wikipedia

Climate sensitivity is the equilibrium temperature change in response to changes of the radiative forcing.
Rahmstorf (2008)[15] provides an informal example of how climate sensitivity might be estimated empirically, from which the following is modified. Denote the sensitivity, i.e. the equilibrium increase in global mean temperature including the effects of feedbacks due to a sustained forcing by doubled CO2 (taken as 3.7 W/m2), as x °C. If Earth were to experience an equilibrium temperature change of deltaT (°C) due to a sustained forcing of deltaF (W/m2), then one might say that x/(deltaT) = (3.7 W/m2)/(deltaF), i.e. that x = deltaT * (3.7 W/m2)deltaF. The global temperature increase since the beginning of the industrial period (taken as 1750) is about 0.8 °C

That doesn't clarify much. If that is what those guys are referring to, they put in a negative sign and a few extra zeros.

Note: The article has the Greek delta symbol. It was replaced by "delta".

The equilibrium temperature at which co2 changes from a solid to a gas/gas to solid at a certain pressure.
Goes to liquid rather solid, no? I wasn't aware it sublimed.

Goes to liquid rather solid, no? I wasn't aware it sublimed.

It's actually quite complicated:

954px-Carbon_dioxide_pressure-temperature_phase_diagram.svg.png

It's triple point, at which it will exist as solid, liquid and gas, is about -70F. But that has nothing to do with absorbing and emitting IR and it is not a temperature that CO2 seeks to reach, as was contended. And certainly it will sublime. Have you never heard of dry ice?

It's critical point is about +30C, no where near -80F.

Republicans love to use the word "equilibrium".

They think it makes them sound smart.

It's got all those letters.

Actually, triple point is -56.6 @ 5.11 atm, but at our atm is -78.6. So, depending upon your own atm.

It's triple point, at which it will exist as solid, liquid and gas, is about -70F. But that has nothing to do with absorbing and emitting IR and it is not a temperature that CO2 seeks to reach, as was contended. And certainly it will sublime. Have you never heard of dry ice?

It's critical point is about +30C, no where near -80F.

I'm thinking that they are using Wien's Law to get -80 for a blackbody with a maximum output wavelength of 15 microns.

This is just a guess. And it would be -80C, not -80F.

Why haven't BillyBoob or SSDD explained what they meant?

Is it yet another example of sciencey words being used with little to no understanding of what is being implied?

Lets answer the idiot..
absorption-rhode.jpg

Photon temperature is defined by its EM wavelength signature. (The temperature of a black body radiating)

-80 deg C is the rough mean of 12um-16um bandwidth. At 16um its temperature is calculated to 78.1C and at 12um its temperature is 80.9C.. ON this graph we have included the power curve of the photons emitted, which shows why the photons have little effect in our atmosphere without water.

/Thread Dead...

What does "equilibrium temperature of CO2 = -80F" mean?

Probably ... that the ski slopes in the Alps are composed of water, and there are no ski lifts on Mars.

Forum List

Back