What Do You Think About Bluegrass Music ?

Protectionist, you didnt say hello to me the other day and now you are lying.
False. You asked me how I was doing. I answered, and made a friendly post

Here's reprint of it >>

THE GREAT GOOSE SAID: Hi Protectionist. How are ya?

And I said >>> I'm fine. And I like your little signature cartoon (feeding the geese). I care about animals. I feed my neighborhood cats every night.

Racists: Be Careful What You Say!

So you have no gripe.

Protectionist, you didnt say hello to me the other day and now you are lying.
False. You asked me how I was doing. I answered, and made a friendly post

Here's reprint of it >>

THE GREAT GOOSE SAID: Hi Protectionist. How are ya?

And I said >>> I'm fine. And I like your little signature cartoon (feeding the geese). I care about animals. I feed my neighborhood cats every night.

Racists: Be Careful What You Say!

So you have no gripe.
:(

When I was stationed at Fort Meyer, VA, my ex took me to a couple of small places in the area with Blue Grass. I loved it. A smoky, crowded place with great brew and food.

I've always been surprised at how structured it is. Just like jazz. Start off with all instruments and singing, go to individual solos, then end up with everything.

Depends.

Old timey bluegrass like Bill Munroe, Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson doing traditional songs is great.

What I've heard termed as "new grass" like Yonder Mountain String Band, or bluegrass bands that do modern covers with drums or other non-traditional instruments suck, imo.

David Grisman is pretty great, though.

Bluegrass is pretty popular here in Colorado, especially among hippies and outdoorsy sports types (like climbers, rafters, hikers - not just fishermen and hunters).
On the one hand, I agree with you, the new stuff isn't as good as the pure stuff.

On the other hand, have you heard what the alternative is for today's youth to listen to? Do you know what garbage is in the top 40?

A year or so a blue grass video from one of these newer bands came through my feed, I thought it was interesting, it went viral, I'm sure you saw it. My 14yo was amazed. He thought it was the most awesome thing he had hear in a long time, very unique, very creative. He asked me what sort of music is was.

I told him it was that "boring twangy music" we listen to on the weekends. "Blue Grass." He laughed.

Anyway, the point is, it's a good way to hook the younger generation. They seriously don't like the corporate shit that is being shoveled to them, but they don't think they have any other alternatives. Seriously.

If you are a teenage boy over achiever, and had a choice between Kanye and this, what would you find more interesting?

Could have been a good thread.

But the OP and another member decided to destroy it with an off topic pissing contest. ....... :cuckoo:
Don't know what you're talking about. I've been asleep all day. Just got back on the computer. I haven't decided to destroy the thread. Feel free to post. And this IS a good thread.

On the one hand, I agree with you, the new stuff isn't as good as the pure stuff.

On the other hand, have you heard what the alternative is for today's youth to listen to? Do you know what garbage is in the top 40?

A year or so a blue grass video from one of these newer bands came through my feed, I thought it was interesting, it went viral, I'm sure you saw it. My 14yo was amazed. He thought it was the most awesome thing he had hear in a long time, very unique, very creative. He asked me what sort of music is was.

I told him it was that "boring twangy music" we listen to on the weekends. "Blue Grass." He laughed.

Anyway, the point is, it's a good way to hook the younger generation. They seriously don't like the corporate shit that is being shoveled to them, but they don't think they have any other alternatives. Seriously.

If you are a teenage boy over achiever, and had a choice between Kanye and this, what would you find more interesting?

These guys sound more like a Rock band than a Bluegrass band. They are unconventional to say the least. Bluegrass generally doesn't have drums, and I have never seen an accordian played in Bluegrasss music. Also Bluegrass musicians generally are well dressed, not like these guys. LOL.

Here's a video of one of my favorite groups, the Country Gentlemen. As you may notice from their long hair, this is from the 1970s. Still great video/audio though >>>

It can still be a good thread ... post more clips of good bluegrass music.

Here's another of the great old standard songs by one of the great pioneer groups of Bluegrass > Jim & Jesse and the Virginia Boys >>

Forum List

Back