What do you make with your own two hands?

Recumbent bikes, trailers, anything made of steel.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Yep.
Since I retired as a machinist I've bought a welder,sandblast cabinet and all the other things ya need to fabricat things out of steel.
I bought the welder to rebuild our bridge that crossed the creek so we could drive the truck to the river to load our yaks and bring down firewood and of course beer.
That was a six day project as the bridge was sixty foot long.
Used eight in. wide C purlins in 8 gauge steel,there were over 4000 welds....above my head. Sucked like a mofo!!!
While welding from the bottom is bad enough the worst part is the shit falling in your shirt and generally burning the crap out of ya!

It's handy as hell to be able to make shit that wont friggin break!!!
Handy to have a welder! One project I had was a scale cannon that fired a .451 cast lead ball with black powder. Only fired it a couple times in the woods behind a stout oak tree. The recoil would flip it over backwards a foot away, lol.

Overhead does suck. I had to do an overhead pad buildup with an E6010 electrode in welding school. Took me a week to pass. The E6010 is a deep penetration "whipping" rod that throws spatter everywhere.

When you know how to weld, shit can be whatever you want it to be. I also do some metal castings. Mostly cast lead ball for my 1858 new model Army.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Yep.
Since I retired as a machinist I've bought a welder,sandblast cabinet and all the other things ya need to fabricat things out of steel.
I bought the welder to rebuild our bridge that crossed the creek so we could drive the truck to the river to load our yaks and bring down firewood and of course beer.
Used eight in. wide C purlins in 8 gauge steel,there were over 4000 welds....above my head. Sucked like a mofo!!!
While welding from the bottom is bad enough the worst part is the shit falling in your shirt and generally burning the crap out of ya!

Handy to have a welder! One project I had was a scale cannon that fired a .451 cast lead ball with black powder. Only fired it a couple times in the woods behind a stout oak tree. The recoil would flip it over backwards a foot away, lol.

Overhead does suck. I had to do an overhead pad buildup with an E6010 electrode in welding school. Took me a week to pass. The E6010 is a deep penetration "whipping" rod that throws spatter everywhere.

When you know how to weld, shit can be whatever you want it to be. I also do some metal castings. Mostly cast lead ball for my 1858 new model Army.

LOL....we used to make cannons in shop class when I was a kid.
Set up the first one in a vice and set it in my buddies driveway and aimed it at a five lb coffee can full of water in front of an oak tree.
It fired a 1 inch ball bearing. So we light the thing and run around to the backside of the garage,it goes off and of course we go directly to the coffee can. It was obliterated and the ball sunk so far into the oak that we couldnt see it.

We then turned to the cannon and the vice....only to find the cannon was gone.
Found it stuck in the wall 40 feet from the vice.
We just moved his dads shop clock over the hole ....which worked for about a week.
He was actually cool about it and laughed his ass off. Then I learned how to patch drywall.

Photography? Paintings? Quilts? Carpentry i.e. furniture or toys, etc etc?

And, care to share pics?
No Pix but I use to love to make Souped up engine cylinder heads. Any make any type. I also played the Alto Sax pretty well. I was in Korea second trip and it was after the shooting. I was at the Rec center and playing around with the Sax when a Drummer from NY and I started Jamming, We form a little band and was enter into the 5th AF battle of the bands, we were so little that we never would have won. Some of those bands were 34 strong. I guess they gave award for Balls for showing up. We took third place LOL Progressives must have voted, but I got 7 days in Japan. I still have the Silver and Money clip.

Last edited:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Yep.

Wow I never could do that weld, and I have the scares to prove it. LOL

And, care to share pics?
No Pix but I use to love to make Souped up engine cyclinder heads. Any make any type.

I've built a few engines in my day.
Now I pay people to do it for me. Getting old sucks and it's damn expensive.
Looking at installing a Magnuson on the Tundra which I'll do myself since it requires no heavy lifting and it's all on the top end.

shopping

And, care to share pics?
No Pix but I use to love to make Souped up engine cyclinder heads. Any make any type.

I've built a few engines in my day.
Now I pay people to do it for me. Getting old sucks and it's damn expensive.
Looking at installing a Magnuson on the Tundra which I'll do myself since it requires no heavy lifting and it's all on the top end.

Magnuson3URx500.jpg

Grinder. It is made by completely own hands, for a garage and a workshop. Engine 3*380V, 0.65kW, 2740 revolutions per minute; film 610mm. Very useful and convenient car for processing of metals and wood.
25159314.jpg 25159219.jpg

Last edited:

And, care to share pics?

Lately, I've been making large commercial buildings. A few month ago, I built a big distribution center in Tracy. Now, I'm building a factory, some miles away from that.

Well, OK, I didn't build these all by myself. I've had a little bit of help from a few dozen fellow electricians, and several dozens of other assorted construction workers.

5c490f7506323.image.jpg

I made this vest, and a matching pair of pants, for a boy in Washington State, that I've never met. His first competition of the season is this weekend, and this is his LP costume. His mother sent me a gushing email when it arrived.

icm_fullxfull.201895590_qal959cxzk04440wkcsg.jpg

Inspired by this order, I'm creating a line of boy's vests. But before I cut another order, there's the pesky unfinished projects bin. I have vowed not to cut those new yoga pants I want, or the boys black pants, I'm sold out of, or the vests I want to make, until I deal with this:

61114367_10157224909212954_6373422478726791168_n.jpg

I had to go out and buy more Baggies to put stuff in last week. Plus, there's over $1000 in retail value of my best selling stuff in that bin. It can't be listed or sold if it isn't finished. No more cutting until this everything is finished.

Now, I'm making a big apartment complex in midtown Sacramento. It takes a whole city block.

Here's an interesting view with the upper southeast corner just catchin the first light of sunrise.

View attachment 262892

No you're not. Other people are making it for you. You're hands never picked up a tool or did a lick of work on that building.

Why are YOU mocking a thread for people who enjoy crafting? Precious little going on in your life?

Now, I'm making a big apartment complex in midtown Sacramento. It takes a whole city block.

Here's an interesting view with the upper southeast corner just catchin the first light of sunrise.

View attachment 262892

No you're not. Other people are making it for you. You're hands never picked up a tool or did a lick of work on that building.

Why are YOU mocking a thread for people who enjoy crafting? Precious little going on in your life?

What would you know about my work? In the several weeks that I've been on this project, every day I haul over a hundred pounds of tools from my car to the basement of this building, and haul them back to my car at the end of the workday. In between, I carry what tools I think I need for whatever task I'm doing, as I climb up and down four floors of stairs (not counting the basement). This includes a tool belt loaded up with several pounds of assorted tools, a power drill hanging from my belt, and a reciprocating saw hanging like a rifle over my shoulder on an improvised sling, and a hammer hanging from a loop on my pants. I probably do more work on a good day than you've done in the whole of your worthless life.

Yes, I am building this apartment complex. Well, OK, not all by myself; as with other projects I've built, I'm getting a little bit of help from dozens of other construction workers, including a couple dozen fellow electricians.

And how is my work a mockery of this thread? Is not by role in creating great buildings at least as valid a craft as your sewing?

View attachment 262892

What would you know about my work? In the several weeks that I've been on this project, every day I haul over a hundred pounds of tools from my car to the basement of this building, and haul them back to my car at the end of the workday. In between, I carry what tools I think I need for whatever task I'm doing, as I climb up and down four floors of stairs (not counting the basement). This includes a tool belt loaded up with several pounds of assorted tools, a power drill hanging from my belt, and a reciprocating saw hanging like a rifle over my shoulder on an improvised sling, and a hammer hanging from a loop on my pants. I probably do more work on a good day than you've done in the whole of your worthless life.

Yes, I am building this apartment complex. Well, OK, not all by myself; as with other projects I've built, I'm getting a little bit of help from dozens of other construction workers, including a couple dozen fellow electricians.

And how is my work a mockery of this thread? Is not by role in creating great buildings at least as valid a craft as your sewing?

Your role in building a building is less than my role in their construction. And you make assumptions about my working life that have no validity.

That you would hijack a friendly discussion of crafting with your bullshit shows how little regard you have for others.

No wonder you’re doing grunt work on a construction site.

Gotcha!

I sheared a long-haired jackass, spun it the hair into thread. Built a wooden loom and wove several yards of fabric. Then, using only thread I made from ass sinew pulled by a bone needle I fashioned from a splinter of ass bone, I stitched up a pair of jackass hair undies which I gave to a liberal neighbor. Only fair since it was his jackass I whacked. They look good on each other.

Trouble with jackass knickers is that the fabric stiffens and twists but that saves him/her/it from having to get his/her/its knickers all in a twist manually.

Last edited:
Your role in building a building is less than my role in their construction. And you make assumptions about my working life that have no validity.

That you would hijack a friendly discussion of crafting with your bullshit shows how little regard you have for others.

No wonder you’re doing grunt work on a construction site.

Your role in building a building is less than mine? Really? What skilled trade do you practice? What tools do you use? With what materials do you work? From what lofty profession do you presume to denigrate mine as “grunt work” and pretend that doing such work somehow makes me inferior to you?

Forum List

Back