What Barr said, what Mueller said

Sandy Shanks

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2018
One thing was crystal clear from Barr's press conference on Thursday and before the Mueller Report was released: No collusion! Barr's willingness to echo Trump's favorite two-word mantra was evident throughout his remarks.

"The special counsel confirmed that the Russian government sponsored efforts to illegally interfere with the 2016 presidential election but did not find that the Trump campaign or other Americans colluded in those schemes," Barr said.

It's true: Mueller did not establish that there was a criminal conspiracy between the Trump campaign and the Russian government to influence the 2016 presidential election. But Mueller uncovered "multiple links" connecting Trump aides to Russian officials and that there was at least some willingness to collaborate -- like Donald Trump Jr. and the Trump Tower meeting. Mueller could not prove conspiracy beyond a reasonable doubt.

Also, Barr's use of the word "collusion," which he repeated multiple times, raised some eyebrows in the legal community. In the report, Mueller intentionally steered clear of that political phrase because it "is not a specific offense" under US law, "nor is it a term used in federal criminal law." Strange Barr would use it.

Barr cleared Trump of obstruction."After carefully reviewing the facts and legal theories outlined in the report... the deputy attorney general and I concluded that the evidence developed by the special counsel is not sufficient to establish that the President committed an obstruction of justice offense," Barr said.

Mueller did not struggle with whether there was enough evidence to bring a case of obstruction of justice. The challenge was that they amassed compelling evidence but couldn't indict a President even if they wanted to, DOJ rules.

Here's what the report actually said: "...if we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, however, we are unable to reach that judgment. The evidence we obtained about the President's actions and intent presents difficult issues that prevent us from conclusively determining that no criminal conduct occurred."

Barr downplayed the role that DOJ guidelines played when Mueller considered whether Trump violated the law. Internal DOJ policies say that a sitting president cannot be indicted. The policy comes from the Office of Legal Counsel (OLC).

"We specifically asked him about the OLC opinion and whether or not he was taking the position that he would have found a crime but for the existence of the OLC opinion," Barr said at his press conference. "And he made it very clear several times that that was not his position."

The OLC opinion had a major impact on Mueller's internal deliberations. In effect, Mueller framed his entire obstruction investigation around the notion that he couldn't bring any charges against Trump even if he found ironclad evidence against him, because of the OLC opinion. He specifically left the matter up to Congress.

"Special Counsel Mueller did not indicate that his purpose was to leave the decision to Congress," Barr said.

"With respect to whether the President can be found to have obstructed justice by exercising his powers under Article II of the Constitution, we concluded that Congress has authority to prohibit a President's corrupt use of his authority in order to protect the integrity of the administration of justice," Mueller said.

Barr became a Trump lackey. It is difficult understand why this proud professional lowered himself to this role, sacrificing every bit of his self-esteem.

4 times Barr twisted and cherry-picked Mueller's report - CNNPolitics

What it comes down to is CNN and others told me what to think for over two years if I do not hold on to this little bit of lie then I will have to admit that I was led around by the nose and could not think for myself. That would be just wrong.

What Barr said - No collusion. No coordination. No conspiracy. No obstruction.

What Mueller said - No collusion. No coordination. No conspiracy. No obstruction

Case closed. Let's move on and investigate the cause of this mess.

This sums up the current state of the anti-Trumper.
CRY.jpg

• Banned
What it comes down to is CNN and others told me what to think for over two years if I do not hold on to this little bit of lie then I will have to admit that I was led around by the nose and could not think for myself. That would be just wrong.

Typical of a Trumper. Avoid all the issues and attack the source ... or the investigators. It is a typical Trump-like reaction because the reality is so awful for Trump's fans.

What did I get wrong?

Yes, I know. I will never get a straight answer.

One thing was crystal clear from Barr's press conference on Thursday and before the Mueller Report was released: No collusion! Barr's willingness to echo Trump's favorite two-word mantra was evident throughout his remarks.

"The special counsel confirmed that the Russian government sponsored efforts to illegally interfere with the 2016 presidential election but did not find that the Trump campaign or other Americans colluded in those schemes," Barr said.

It's true: Mueller did not establish that there was a criminal conspiracy between the Trump campaign and the Russian government to influence the 2016 presidential election. But Mueller uncovered "multiple links" connecting Trump aides to Russian officials and that there was at least some willingness to collaborate -- like Donald Trump Jr. and the Trump Tower meeting. Mueller could not prove conspiracy beyond a reasonable doubt.

Also, Barr's use of the word "collusion," which he repeated multiple times, raised some eyebrows in the legal community. In the report, Mueller intentionally steered clear of that political phrase because it "is not a specific offense" under US law, "nor is it a term used in federal criminal law." Strange Barr would use it.

Barr cleared Trump of obstruction."After carefully reviewing the facts and legal theories outlined in the report... the deputy attorney general and I concluded that the evidence developed by the special counsel is not sufficient to establish that the President committed an obstruction of justice offense," Barr said.

Mueller did not struggle with whether there was enough evidence to bring a case of obstruction of justice. The challenge was that they amassed compelling evidence but couldn't indict a President even if they wanted to, DOJ rules.

Here's what the report actually said: "...if we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, however, we are unable to reach that judgment. The evidence we obtained about the President's actions and intent presents difficult issues that prevent us from conclusively determining that no criminal conduct occurred."

Barr downplayed the role that DOJ guidelines played when Mueller considered whether Trump violated the law. Internal DOJ policies say that a sitting president cannot be indicted. The policy comes from the Office of Legal Counsel (OLC).

"We specifically asked him about the OLC opinion and whether or not he was taking the position that he would have found a crime but for the existence of the OLC opinion," Barr said at his press conference. "And he made it very clear several times that that was not his position."

The OLC opinion had a major impact on Mueller's internal deliberations. In effect, Mueller framed his entire obstruction investigation around the notion that he couldn't bring any charges against Trump even if he found ironclad evidence against him, because of the OLC opinion. He specifically left the matter up to Congress.

"Special Counsel Mueller did not indicate that his purpose was to leave the decision to Congress," Barr said.

"With respect to whether the President can be found to have obstructed justice by exercising his powers under Article II of the Constitution, we concluded that Congress has authority to prohibit a President's corrupt use of his authority in order to protect the integrity of the administration of justice," Mueller said.

Barr became a Trump lackey. It is difficult understand why this proud professional lowered himself to this role, sacrificing every bit of his self-esteem.

Blah, blah, blah, NO COLLUSION blah, blah

Getting angry about False Accusations, but only shouting about how to stop it is not a Crime. Common Sense says desperate DemWitted loons are wrong again......as always. It must be hard to be wrong all the time?

Typical of a Trumper. Avoid all the issues and attack the source ... or the investigators. It is a typical Trump-like reaction because the reality is so awful for Trump's fans.

What did I get wrong?

What did you get wrong? Simple NO cullusion. NO indictment for obstruction. Paint it any way you want.

Remember the great ralliying cry of the undereducated liberals Tick Tock Trump will soon be in jail? Now it is Mueller did not find anything but it might just be possible to convict him on obstruction. Just think of how far you will sink when that falls through.

Granted the Democrats will lose the White House, Senate and House of Representatives in the next election then they will really be upset.

What did I get wrong?

I prefer to call it a "matter", not an investigation. And, let's just call it "extremely careless" behavior and call it a day. Agree?

What did I get wrong?

What YOU got wrong is that Special Counsel Mueller VIOLATED the Special Counsels requirements that he make a specific determination for Prosecution or Declination on the Obstruction charge, which is why AG Barr ended up making that decision for him. Yes Mueller did made a series of DECLINATIONS on the Russian/Trump election conspiracy, meaning NO CRIME occurred.

I posted a big post about it HERE in the forum, it explains where Mueller screwed up. It is worth the visit.

====================================================================================

Here is WHY AG Barr decided to make a decision about the Obstruction charge, HERE in another post in the forum.

a sample:

"Attorney General William Barr spoke during today’s press conference of Mueller’s failure to perform this regulatorily required duty. When asked why he and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein felt it necessary “to take it to the next step to conclude there was no crime,” Barr retorted:"

The rest is in the link.

It is OVER!, Mueller said NO crime occurred, Barr says NO crime occurred.

There is a great disparity between Barr's spin and the text of the report.

Ultimately however, this falls on Mueller. He didn't insist on getting the President on the witness stand and settled for answers from Trump's legal team. He did great things in getting felons off the street (many of whom would still be working in the White House; however he failed miserably on something so elementary. If you want to blame someone, Barr is culpable....Mueller is responsible for allowing this criminal enterprise.

Now the question is, why would Mueller do this. Simply put, he gave the President the benefit of the doubt in his (Mueller's) reliance on answers to questions that the President likely never saw, that his lawyers carefully answered in aseptic and sterile terms as possible. When a direct answer was required...they simply insisted that Trump did not remember doing anything criminal. Mueller gave the blob the benefit of the doubt.

Well they seem to have covered all the commie talking points, good job. LMFAO

Just learned today from a news report that 80% of the redactions in the Mueller Report was in the section dealing with an alleged conspiracy with the Russian government. Interesting, huh?

Link? I looked all over for a link. There is none on that specific item.

What is equally interesting is that what Congress and we are seeing in the Mueller Report is what Trump's appointee permits us to see. Also, Barr will fight in the courts a Congressional subpoena to see the unredacted version of the Mueller Report.

Why does Barr not want Congress to see the unredacted version?

What is Barr hiding from our Congressmen?

Of course, Mueller didn't prove collusion. Collusion isn't a crime. Why should he?

However, he did show multiple relationships between Trump and Trump's close associates with the Russian government.

Did I mention that Trump is a pathological liar?

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Isn’t it amazing that the people who were closest to me, by far, and knew the Campaign better than anyone, were never even called to testify before Mueller. The reason is that the 18 Angry Democrats knew they would all say ‘NO COLLUSION’ and only very good things!

12:31 PM - Apr 22, 2019

People close to Trump, including in his own family, his son, his son-in-law, were interviewed by Mueller’s team.
Among the advisers and aides who spoke with Mueller was his former White House counsel, Don McGahn, two former White House chiefs of staff, Reince Priebus and John Kelly, A.G. Jeff Sessions, fired NSA mike Flynn, deputy A.G. Rod Rosenstein, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders and former strategist Steve Bannon. Michael Cohen, Trump’s former personal lawyer for ten years, also contributed to the Mueller Report.

Trump is simply lying ... again.

"Nobody disobeys my orders," Trump said during a walkabout on the South Lawn. So, McGahn, Priebus, Kelly, Bannon, Cohen, Flynn, Sessions, and Rosenstein, all testifying under the penalty of perjury, are all lying, and a proven pathological liar strolling on the south lawn is telling the truth?

Okay, well, if you want to believe that, be my guest.

The pure irony is, those who disobeyed his orders saved Trump from the crime of obstruction of justice. If McGahn had Mueller fired, not even the Republicans in the Senate could save Trump.

Trump does not understand that concept. Amazing.

Trump refuses to allow an unredacted version of the Mueller Report to be given to Congress.

Trump will fight a subpoena issued by the House Judiciary Committee for former White House counsel Donald McGahn to testify.

Trump is breaking the law by not turning over six years of tax returns to the House Ways and Means Committee. The chairmen, Richard Neal, is relying on invoking an authority enshrined in the tax code granted only to the tax-writing committees in Congress that gives the chairmen of the House Ways and Means Committee and the Senate Finance Committee the power to request tax information on any filer. It says that the Treasury secretary “shall” furnish the information. Mnuchin, following Trump's orders, flew through today's deadline.

The White House has instructed a former official who was in charge of the security clearance process to not comply with a House subpoena demanding his appearance for an interview. The White House told the former official, Carl Kline, who now works at the Defense Department, to not appear at Tuesday's deposition.

"I'm having a good day," Trump said at a White House event for the Wounded Warrior Project. "It’s called no collusion, no obstruction.”

For an innocent man, Trump is acting quite guilty. He is giving every indication that he is very guilty. Innocent Presidents do not try to hide the truth from Congress and the American people.

Trump refuses to allow an unredacted version of the Mueller Report to be given to Congress.

Trump will fight a subpoena issued by the House Judiciary Committee for former White House counsel Donald McGahn to testify.

Trump is breaking the law by not turning over six years of tax returns to the House Ways and Means Committee. The chairmen, Richard Neal, is relying on invoking an authority enshrined in the tax code granted only to the tax-writing committees in Congress that gives the chairmen of the House Ways and Means Committee and the Senate Finance Committee the power to request tax information on any filer. It says that the Treasury secretary “shall” furnish the information. Mnuchin, following Trump's orders, flew through today's deadline.

The White House has instructed a former official who was in charge of the security clearance process to not comply with a House subpoena demanding his appearance for an interview. The White House told the former official, Carl Kline, who now works at the Defense Department, to not appear at Tuesday's deposition.

"I'm having a good day," Trump said at a White House event for the Wounded Warrior Project. "It’s called no collusion, no obstruction.”

For an innocent man, Trump is acting quite guilty. He is giving every indication that he is very guilty. Innocent Presidents do not try to hide the truth from Congress and the American people.

At issue today is executive privilege and Trump's position that he will refuse all access to White House documents, staffers, and former staffers (McGahn, for example). That access is being submitted by a co-equal branch of our government. The question becomes, can Trump hide from our representatives in Congress?

He can try, but it is political suicide. So is hiding from Americans. The White House has not had a press conference in 48 days. In the 28 months of his Presidency, Trump has held two press conferences. Both were utter disasters and it is expected he will not hold another. A secret Presidency is also political suicide.

Also, he is destined to lose in the courts. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this issue in United States v. Nixon.

Trump has asserted a generalized need for confidentiality. In other words, he is banning everything -- he even said so -- as opposed to forbidding access to a specific document or the testimony of a specific White House staffer or former staffer. In U.S. vs. Nixon, the Court ruled "because Nixon had asserted only a generalized need for confidentiality, the Court held that the larger public interest in obtaining the truth in the context of a criminal prosecution took precedence.

So, Trump can try, but all he is doing is delaying the inevitable and that will become a political liability in an election year as slowly, but surely, the courts will rule against him.

Trump can't use executive privilege to obstruct justice where he is the subject of the investigation.

Executive privilege - Wikipedia

Just learned today from a news report that 80% of the redactions in the Mueller Report was in the section dealing with an alleged conspiracy with the Russian government. Interesting, huh?

Link? I looked all over for a link. There is none on that specific item.

What is equally interesting is that what Congress and we are seeing in the Mueller Report is what Trump's appointee permits us to see. Also, Barr will fight in the courts a Congressional subpoena to see the unredacted version of the Mueller Report.

Why does Barr not want Congress to see the unredacted version?

What is Barr hiding from our Congressmen?

Of course, Mueller didn't prove collusion. Collusion isn't a crime. Why should he?

However, he did show multiple relationships between Trump and Trump's close associates with the Russian government.
What part of it's illegal to release grand jury testimony are you unable to understand?

Media: It's odd that the courts re-affirmed the law on protecting grand jury testimony just as we're demanding Barr break it

What part of Barr offered to share access to redacted sections to select Congressmen who refused because they wouldn't be allowed to leak the information can't you figure out?

Democrats decline Barr's offer to view a less redacted Mueller report

Speaking of close associates with the Russian government, I think Hillary has some explaining to do. So do the rest of you sad little liberals who don't hyperventilate about Russia unless you think it can use it to try to damage President Trump.

Hillary's Russia Connection

When Bill Was Paid $500,000 to Speak in Russia, Hillary Opposed State Dept. Sanctions

Lastly, please stop bolding the line " before the Mueller report was released ". If you haven't figured it out yet, the report was written FOR Barr so he obviously read the damned thing before he gave his press conference. Grow up little liberals. People are getting REALLY tired of your lame crap.

Barr is the new "whore" to join the Trump ass kissers.....He is hoping for a SCOTUS nod from the orange clown and probably hoping that......unless Ginsburg or Breyer quit, that Thomas would retire next year.

Forum List

Back