What band do you WISH you had gotten to see live?

Awesome. My time was the 80s and I saw most all of the great bands from that era. Some before they got really big at very small venues. I hung out with Alice N Chains on their bus before they played a very small club in Memphis. I was friends with a band that got signed and made an album. Nirvana came along and killed their career before it got started.

Good times.
The 80's were my headbanging 20's in the Atlanta club scene before finally meeting my current wife in 1987.
She still loves me but thinks I love guitar more than her.

they were pretty dam good....i had never seen a opening band called out for an encore before these guys....

I saw Tom Petty open for Be Bop Deluxe at Winterland. Standing ovation for TP, even though partway through his set the sound quality was mysteriously f*cked up.

Good list.

Mine are Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Stevie Ray Vaughan .

For metal - Priest and Maiden.
I chose the Beatles because they were the dominant group of their time

not the only good group but 100 years from now more of their music will be remembered with the possible exception of the Rolling Stones

but the Stones remained together for decades even up to the present day

while the Beatles were a comet that flashed across the musical night and was gone too soon

I chose the Beatles because they were the dominant group of their time

not the only good group but 100 years from now more of their music will be remembered with the possible exception of the Rolling Stones

but the Stones remained together for decades even up to the present day

while the Beatles were a comet that flashed across the musical night and was gone too soon
The trouble was bad sound equipment, especially in the early days--even if you had great seats the sound quality wasn't too good over all the screaming etc...

Wings were really good. They played 2 nights in Cleveland (Richfield Coliseum where I used to work) I got to see the opening show - Paul McCartney put on a great show....about 3 hours.

I was living in NYC in 1980 at the time John Lennon was murdered.......it shocked the world and you had to see it -- Central Park was a Beatles- festival / John Lennon memorial for a whole week .

Earlier that summer I saw Johnny Winter there at the park. (free concert - about 30,000 people or something)
Elton John played there and I missed it......I think there were 100,000 at it....

The trouble was bad sound equipment, especially in the early days--even if you had great seats the sound quality wasn't too good over all the screaming etc...

Wings were really good. They played 2 nights in Cleveland (Richfield Coliseum where I used to work) I got to see the opening show - Paul McCartney put on a great show....about 3 hours.
Paul McCartney without the other three was a step down

Good but not great

there are no concerts devoted strictly to Paul McCartney post Beatles music

but there are an endless number saluting the Beatles

even McCartney himself spends most of his time onstage playing Beatles music instead of his own stuff

Last edited:
Of course he played Beatles songs that he wrote particularly., and sang lead vocals, played piano and bass....easily the most talented of the 4.

That Wings tour was a huge event worldwide in 1978.
I disagree again

mccartney and lennon needed each other to write really good songs

but george Harrison was a force all to himself

I was fortunate enough to spend my teen yrs. in the 70's. We live a Dallas burb. I got to see over 90 concerts back than. Zep, Floyd, Who, Stones, etc... I guess the one band that I would have like to have seen would of been Fleetwood Mac. Had a huge crush on the coked out Stevie Nicks.

I guess it's the different era's between me on the O.P., but to me no drummer will ever be greater than Bonzo.

I was fortunate enough to spend my teen yrs. in the 70's. We live a Dallas burb. I got to see over 90 concerts back than. Zep, Floyd, Who, Stones, etc... I guess the one band that I would have like to have seen would of been Fleetwood Mac. Had a huge crush on the coked out Stevie Nicks.

I guess it's the different era's between me on the O.P., but to me no drummer will ever be greater than Bonzo.
About Pink Floyd, and it's worth mentioning... Nick Mason is one of the most underrated drummers ever.

Ive been a musician since I was 14 years old. Currently 51. I started playing drums at that age of 14. I have been to a LOT of concerts. I came of age musically during the AWESOME time of the 1980s. Hair bands and "glam metal" was my thing. When I was around 16 years old I was introduced to RUSH by a friend of mine. My life was changed forever. I have been a Neil Peart fan ever since.

I have spent literally WEEKS in a drum room working on learning his music. He was much MUCH more than a drummer. He was literally a modern day composer. When his death was announced it was a gut punch that I cant really describe. As silly as it sounds, it felt like I had lost a relative.

Well as I am sure you have figured out by the title of the thread.....I GREAT REGRET not getting to see Rush live. As home theater is another hobby of mine, I have seen their live performances on a 120 inch screen with a pretty amazing surround sound set up but its just not the same.

Dont put off till tomorrow what you want to do today. You just may not get the chance.
I'm sorry, I hated Rush! Getty Lee's voice was like running your finger nails across a blackboard. However, Neil was good!

My top 3 drummers of all time:
  1. Ginger Baker
  2. Keith Moon
  3. John Bonham

Ive been a musician since I was 14 years old. Currently 51. I started playing drums at that age of 14. I have been to a LOT of concerts. I came of age musically during the AWESOME time of the 1980s. Hair bands and "glam metal" was my thing. When I was around 16 years old I was introduced to RUSH by a friend of mine. My life was changed forever. I have been a Neil Peart fan ever since.

I have spent literally WEEKS in a drum room working on learning his music. He was much MUCH more than a drummer. He was literally a modern day composer. When his death was announced it was a gut punch that I cant really describe. As silly as it sounds, it felt like I had lost a relative.

Well as I am sure you have figured out by the title of the thread.....I GREAT REGRET not getting to see Rush live. As home theater is another hobby of mine, I have seen their live performances on a 120 inch screen with a pretty amazing surround sound set up but its just not the same.

Dont put off till tomorrow what you want to do today. You just may not get the chance.
The Beatles.

Forum List

Back