What are your favorite "Best Of" or Greatest Hits Albums/CD's?

My two absolute favorites are Elton John Greatest Hits, Volume 1 and The Eagles Greatest Hits 1971-75. My favorite Best Of Blues Album/CD is The Best of Muddy Waters. Please discuss.
I've yet to ever find one that I liked, because their picks for "greatest hits" always suck and the very concept of such an album destroys the flow of music originally intended by the artist to paint a particular "story."

On top of that, the recording quality often suffers. These albums are always initiated by the record company just to boost or milk sales from a flagging artist during lulls or towards the end of the band's life.

If I am pushed I would say Blondie,The Jam and Talking Heads get played a lot. Ive got a best of Elmore James and also Etta james collection that I am giving a spin at the moment.

The Whole Story - Kate Bush
Beatles Red and Blue albums

The Whole Story

The Beatles - Red Album 1962-1966: Album Cover
The Beatles: 1967-1970

I've yet to ever find one that I liked, because their picks for "greatest hits" always suck and the very concept of such an album destroys the flow of music originally intended by the artist to paint a particular "story."

On top of that, the recording quality often suffers. These albums are always initiated by the record company just to boost or milk sales from a flagging artist during lulls or towards the end of the band's life.
I partially agree with you, but there were some pretty good ones. Bluz mentioned Elton and the Eagles....I would add Steely Dan, the 'Essential 'Santana, The Doobie Brothers...... only ones that jump to mind at the moment.Chicago, Steppenwolf....

Elton Johns' Greatest Hits
Rolling Stones Hot Rocks
The Best of Three Dog Night
Billy Joels Greatest Hits
Queen Platinum
Chuck Berry's Greatest Hits
The Beach Boys' Greatest Hits
Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits
The Entire AC/DC Collection
Red Hot Chili Pepper's Greatest Hits
U2 Greatest Hits
INXS' Greatest Hits

I partially agree with you, but there were some pretty good ones. Bluz mentioned Elton and the Eagles....I would add Steely Dan, the 'Essential 'Santana, The Doobie Brothers...... only ones that jump to mind at the moment.Chicago, Steppenwolf....
Can't speak to that point because I never heard any of those, the couple I know I have I only bought as a collector just to have a more complete collection, but I've always enjoyed much better the actual albums they came from.

I don't think it best or natural that every song be a "hit." You kinda need a "rest" or change of pace or mood between hit songs. At least I do. For instance, Planet Caravan was just a filler song of sorts on Paranoid, but to me, it turned out to be one of my favorite songs on the album though I'm sure it never made any "Best of" Black Sabbath albums. And it makes a great "interlude" before Iron Man.

My most favorite is James Otto’s Greatest Hits
Sadly one of them doesn't exist.

God bless you and James always!!!

Holly

P.S. Thanks for keeping his name out there and for giving me something to smile about. Its been a real bummer of a month for me. I lost my favorite uncle on July 5th and last week, I tested positive for Covid. I go back to my job on the day after tomorrow.

Sadly one of them doesn't exist.

God bless you and James always!!!

Holly

P.S. Thanks for keeping his name out there and for giving me something to smile about. Its been a real bummer of a month for me. I lost my favorite uncle on July 5th and last week, I tested positive for Covid. I go back to my job on the day after tomorrow.
Wish you well…..take care of yourself

Forum List

Back