What are you listening to?

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Guadalupe Plata are from Úbeda, Andalucía.

Guadalupe Plata "Tormenta" from their fourth album "Guadalupe Plata" released in 2015 on Everlasting Records.

Guadalupe Plata "Hueso De Gato Negro" track III from the B Side of the above same album.

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Hey Pogo the below, wonderful stuff.

Shabaka and The Ancestors are a Contemporary Jazz ensemble from South Africa, although Shabaka Hutchings himself is from Barbados and has performed as part of the Sons of Kemet and also the Sun Ra Arkestra.

Shabaka Hutchings is on Tenor saxophone, they have a pretty wonderful Trumpeter Mandla Mlangeni, Mthunzi Mvubu is on Alto saxophone and also some excellent percussion from Tumi Mogorosi.

Shabaka and The Ancestors "Joyous" from their debut double album "Wisdom of Elders" released on September 16th, 2016 on Brownswood Recordings.

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Mississippi Fred McDowell "Jesus Is On The Mainline" from his album "I Do Not Play No Rock 'N' Roll" released in 1969 on Capitol Records.

Mississippi Fred McDowell "Long Line Skinner" from the CD reissue of his album "I Do Not Play No Rock 'N' Roll" released in 2001 on Fuel 2000 Records, "Long Line Skinner" wasn't on the original 1969 album.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Fairport Convention "Nottamun Town" from their album "What We Did on Our Holidays" released in 1969 on Island Records.

Like the recent Blues additions, thanks! Here are some "white-man's blues", (aka Bluegrass). The Stanley Brothers performing Worried Man Blues on Pete Seeger's Rainbow Quest. (RIP Ralph Stanley)

Forum List

Back