What are those evangelical Christians really up to?

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
Inspired by another thread discussion...

Why do you think Christians evangelize?

Do you think that people who do not even know you care about your soul? Do you believe their true motivation is to see you saved and in heaven some day?

Or, do you think that Christians have some ulterior and perhaps sinister motive for evangelizing you? If so, what would that motive be?

Do you think that people who do not even know you care about your soul? Do you believe their true motivation is to see you saved and in heaven some day?

Or, do you think that Christians have some ulterior and perhaps sinister motive for evangelizing you? If so, what would that motive be?

Sinister? No. I think they think they are doing the 'right thing'. I really do. I'm not certain that their way of doing things, is God's. Though they think it is, that I'm certain of.

I think their true motivation is to see you saved and in heaven some day.

Probably a combination of a few factors:

1. Want friends.
2. Even if you won't be their friend, they still want you to go to heaven.
3. If they are insecure about their religion, when you convert it validates them.
4. Everybody's doing it.

Sinister? No. I think they think they are doing the 'right thing'. I really do. I'm not certain that their way of doing things, is God's. Though they think it is, that I'm certain of.

Right on, Kathianne!
No sinister motives, just going off, half-cocked in most cases and not following the best example; the author of their faith, Jesus.

Even Christian's can have motives that aren't entirely pure, as they are weak, leaky, clay vessels that need constant replenishing from above.

I'm sure the big old "P" word "Pride" does motivate many in a way that mimics one who is trying to get new notches on the old gun handle; recording new souls converted/saved. Pride is the biggest faith killer of Christians......as it emanates from a lack of a submissive and contrite, heart condition in respect to their creator's preeminence/Lordship.
Often the Christians that make the biggest "boo boos" are the newly converted. In their new-found mental, and emotional peace, and release from troubles and guilt, that often comes after conversion, they will desire to share their good fortune with any and all that they come near, and don't realize that this "new" life is more than sharing a new found "happiness". This new gift of life from above, is intended to have access to every aspect of their soul. Unfortunately, when we are first converted, we still have a lot of "old" baggage from the "old" unconverted life that still has a lot of influence from without and within. Often it's that old baggage that inter-mixes with that new life in Christ and taints or rots the whole basket of apples.

If we were a Control Freak before conversion, we don't become a non-Control Freak seconds after conversion. In fact, "control" is the problem in most folks lives.

Anyway, this Control Person will gradually learn through this new converted life in Christ that their old life's ways are not compatible with the New Life of Christ that now resides in their very inner-most soul. There will be inner conflict until there is "surrender" of this need to be in control of everything.

Thats why Apostle Paul wrote so much about the fleshly or carnal life versus the Spiritual life of a Christian. Paul wrote in most of his letters much about why Christians did the unGodly things that they did. He did a lot of teaching, correcting, and disciplining of believers in his day.

The Corinthian Christians were so blessed with Spiritual gifts, yet they totally abused this graciousness from God. They bragged about their spiritualness. They bragged about what teachers they preferred or followed. They even became very lax, and unrespectful of their time of Communion. Even immoral conduct was becoming a problem. They basically slipped into very carnal lives as a church-body of believers.

Though they were very endowed with 'Spirtual gifts from God, Paul called them mere, "babes" in Christ. They were very immature in their Christian "walk". Paul said that love was lacking in their lives..........and that was probably the greatest indictment. Lack of love is indicative of a lack of looking outward at a source of life greater than one's own. Lack of love, is often a sign of self-centered, soulishness.

Soulishness, or self-centeredness is unconverted man's only means of solace, as he lacks any permanent/reliable source to seek or tap into to assuage his problems of life. His only external sources of hope and help are temporal. Temporal means temporary, and that adds to the misery. Introspection leads to more introspection. It basically become a mundane sad routine of sorting and resorting garbage.

Christians find themselves in this trap too. They revert to their old unconverted life's habits to deal with their problems and their blessings too, and lose their original spiritual moorings, or dependence. Instead of giving up and letting God have his way, they try even harder to cope and live-out the Christian life, and fail, and fail, and fail.

Little do they know that their trying and trying has been impeding God from using their life. That is why Paul said, "When I am weak, He is strong. Therefore I will boast in my weaknesses!". This is antithetical to the unconverted and often antithetical to the Christian that has just become converted. It is a learning process for the new Christian. Learning to "wait", rather than "do" is very hard for many Christians.

Thats why folks often get turned-off by Christian evangelism! The unconverted aren't seeing Christ's life in these Christians. They're seeing the same old, same old. All they're getting is a Christianized, secular, motivational lecture. Not hope from above; not love from above; not life from above actually connecting/communicating with them.

Without love, people of faith become cold, selfish, heartless, and then they become just like Pharisees. They have the head knowledge or doctrine, but lack the love or life that was imparted as a gift, not of their own merit, but God's. They become prideful, and have no patience or compassion for anyone that differs from their views of life.
It's definitely an attitude of the soul. Evangelizm will go far when it's done by Christians that have finally surrendered in their souls to their Lord. Any other motivation or work done may bear limited success, but in the long run, it doesn't please God, and often leaves the unconverted angry, confused, or indifferent about Christianity.

I think evangelizing can help the evangelizer to learn to become a better example of a Christian. The more you teach, the more you learn. Beginner evangelists are often marked for ridicule but I give them credit for taking the risk and suffering the insults.

Grump... she's one of us! ;)

If you mean 'saved in Christ', I hope you are speaking of me! Seriously, I envy the convictions and certainty of the evangelicals, but I haven't that. I really am Catholic in the sense that we 'convert' through example, not ultimatiums. Our lives are supposed to set an example, words or acts won't do-something lost to Protestants during the Reformation-when Catholics were not acting according to doctrine. :dunno:

From what I've learned-from Catholic school and uncle with Phd's in history and theology...

If you mean 'saved in Christ', I hope you are speaking of me! Seriously, I envy the convictions and certainty of the evangelicals, but I haven't that. I really am Catholic in the sense that we 'convert' through example, not ultimatiums. Our lives are supposed to set an example, words or acts won't do-something lost to Protestants during the Reformation-when Catholics were not acting according to doctrine. :dunno:

From what I've learned-from Catholic school and uncle with Phd's in history and theology...

To inform someone of the doctrine of heaven and hell is not to issue them an ultimatum.

Words and acts are the bare minimum, love of god is also required.

God is a loving god, not a totalitarian taks master, for whom blind obedience is enough.

Kathianne, I was referring to Abbey, bc that's who Grump quoted, and he seemed to think she was jumping all over Evangelicals, when in fact, she IS one! :)

If you believe that Jesus is Divine, and the only ticket to Heaven, I consider you to be "saved," too. Just 'cuz you referred to me, not bc I think I get to make the call about who's "saved" or not.

I grew up VERY Catholic, and I did not convert from Catholicism because I thought they weren't Christians. There were other factors. I know MANY Catholic Christians, and I'm proud to call them brothers & sisters... hope they would say the same of me! :)

People try to convert other people for a variety of reasons. Church leaders and preachers may do it in order to convince you to give money.

One reason supports the bandwagon effect. If I convince you of Christianity, then if I have doubts in the future, you can convince me of Christianity.

Similarly, there is ego, the competitiveness drive, and the popularity drive. “Join my club”. I’ll convince you that we are right and that we know the way.

There is the subconscious reaction formation. Someone might have anxiety about his desire for something that is wrong according to the Bible. To compensate for it he over-emphasizes the opposite. Insecure in his own person due to perceived sins, the will start “Bible thumping” in an attempt to compensate for his own secular desires and anxiety.

There is the “Great Commission”: Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." (Matthew 28:19,20 )

And, yes. Some people have found peace in their interpretation of Christianity and in their self-perceived relationship with God. They want others to experience such a peace.

Just like with so many topics, there are many possibilities and intricacies.

I think their true motivation is to see you saved and in heaven some day.

Absolutely, I would add that they see the world as a spiritual war zone in which the devil is out to take as many souls away from god as possible through subtle temptation, ie moral relativism, and they feel strongly they don't want the devil to have or take anyone's soul because Hell is something they don't even wish on their enemies.

I think evangelizing can help the evangelizer to learn to become a better example of a Christian. The more you teach, the more you learn. Beginner evangelists are often marked for ridicule but I give them credit for taking the risk and suffering the insults.

Same here!!

To inform someone of the doctrine of heaven and hell is not to issue them an ultimatum.

Words and acts are the bare minimum, love of god is also required.

God is a loving god, not a totalitarian taks master, for whom blind obedience is enough.

Yes love and free will are one in the same!!:beer:

Yes, absolutely, I do. Consider for a moment the way you've been treated by Christians you've come in contact with in your real life experiences and then consider how you've been treated by those who do not subscribe to Christian beliefs. Just based on these experiences, who do you think cares more about you as a person, even though they may not personally know you?

Their only motive is to follow the directive given to them by Jesus to go and preach the gospel to the entire world. John tells us in the Book of Revelation that even during the 7 years of "hell on earth" under the Anti-Christ, these missionaries will still be out there trying to evangelize the world.

People try to convert other people for a variety of reasons. Church leaders and preachers may do it in order to convince you to give money.

One reason supports the bandwagon effect. If I convince you of Christianity, then if I have doubts in the future, you can convince me of Christianity.

Similarly, there is ego, the competitiveness drive, and the popularity drive. “Join my club”. I’ll convince you that we are right and that we know the way.

There is the subconscious reaction formation. Someone might have anxiety about his desire for something that is wrong according to the Bible. To compensate for it he over-emphasizes the opposite. Insecure in his own person due to perceived sins, the will start “Bible thumping” in an attempt to compensate for his own secular desires and anxiety.

There is the “Great Commission”: Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." (Matthew 28:19,20 )

And, yes. Some people have found peace in their interpretation of Christianity and in their self-perceived relationship with God. They want others to experience such a peace.

Just like with so many topics, there are many possibilities and intricacies.

Yes. And Secular Humanists do the same. They so desire things that the bibles says are bad so much, they just deny the whole idea of god. Or they pretend they believe in god and try to convert the world to a one world religion they control, abandoning completely the concept of religious pluralism.

AS with most things, it dependes upon the individual.

If a given evangelical walks it like they talk it and gives meaning to Christ's Word by letting it guide their actions. all is well and good. They will let their actions speak for them, and they will not force themselves upon those who do not believe as they do. Those I listen to, even though I am not Christian. We will discuss the similarities between Christ's teaching and those of the Buddha and come away richer for the exchange.

On the other hand, if a given evangelical is commited to "saving my soul" at any cost, he/she, will tolerate no differenece of opinion. Their way is the only way and anything else leads to damnation. It was similar beliefs that led to the sometimes brutal suppression of native religions around the world as the "White Man's Burden" traveled with explorers and settlers. Such as they, I will not give the time of day. I will be polite, but to the point, "You have nothing to offer me, Good day."

Forum List

Back