What are some of your favorite debut albums, all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
These would be the first "official" releases by musicians. There have have been many great debut albums over the years. My favorites include Are You Experienced?, by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Doors self-titled debut, Please Please Me, The Beatles first release in the UK, Creedence Clearwater Revival's self-titled debut, Boston's self-titled debut, Peter Gabriel's first self-titled album, the one with him in a car, his first THREE solo releases were ALL self-titled, Let Love Rule, Lenny Kravitz's debut, Tracey Chapman's self-titled debut, and Pablo Honey, by Radiohead. What are some of YOUR favorites?

These would be the first "official" releases by musicians. There have have been many great debut albums over the years. My favorites include Are You Experienced?, by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Doors self-titled debut, Please Please Me, The Beatles first release in the UK, Creedence Clearwater Revival's self-titled debut, Boston's self-titled debut, Peter Gabriel's first self-titled album, the one with him in a car, his first THREE solo releases were ALL self-titled, Let Love Rule, Lenny Kravitz's debut, Tracey Chapman's self-titled debut, and Pablo Honey, by Radiohead. What are some of YOUR favorites?
I forgot about Nick Lowe's US debut, Pure Pop For Now People. In the UK it was released under the somewhat cheeky title Jesus of Cool. I guess the US distributors didn't want to offend any overly religious people.

Boston/Boston [I see you have it listed]... "TRAIN TO NOWHERE"/Savoy Brown was a long time favorite of mine.

1588384108758.png

Boston is the debut studio album by American rock band Boston.

The album was released by Epic in August 1976 and sold extremely well, breaking sales records, becoming the best-selling debut album in the US at the time

Boston/Boston [I see you have it listed]... "TRAIN TO NOWHERE"/Savoy Brown was a long time favorite of mine.
Thanks, Frank. I'll check out the one by Savoy Brown, I'm not too familiar with their work. Didn't a couple guys from the original Savoy Brown leave and form the group Foghat? I THINK that's where I've heard their name before.

One that comes to mind is THE MOODY BLUES, Days of Future Past.
Though not actually their debut album, their first album was The Magnificent Moodies, it was a commercial dud, no one heard it, and they changed record companies, got creative control, abandoned the Merseybeat and adopted the Mellotron, and the rest was HISTORY. Played Nights In White Satin at my wedding.

One that comes to mind is THE MOODY BLUES, Days of Future Past.
Though not actually their debut album, their first album was The Magnificent Moodies, it was a commercial dud, no one heard it, and they changed record companies, got creative control, abandoned the Merseybeat and adopted the Mellotron, and the rest was HISTORY. Played Nights In White Satin at my wedding.

Thanks for the post, tb. Days of Future Past IS a magnificent album. And I believe it's the first that combined rock and roll equally with classical music. This one set the stage for future Prog Rock groups such as Yes, and especially Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

Thanks, Frank. I'll check out the one by Savoy Brown, I'm not too familiar with their work.
Yeah, Savoy Brown was such a great but unheralded band, great for late night munchies time while getting lost in the music...should give all their albums a listen as they were all great.

Didn't a couple guys from the original Savoy Brown leave and form the group Foghat? I THINK that's where I've heard their name before.
Ya know, I almost posted that I think some of them created BTO but wasn't sure of that so I left it out and now that you say foghat I think that may be right [I'm just too lazy to look it up]

Thanks, Frank. I'll check out the one by Savoy Brown, I'm not too familiar with their work.
Yeah, Savoy Brown was such a great but unheralded band, great for late night munchies time while getting lost in the music...should give all their albums a listen as they were all great.

Didn't a couple guys from the original Savoy Brown leave and form the group Foghat? I THINK that's where I've heard their name before.
Ya know, I almost posted that I think some of them created BTO but wasn't sure of that so I left it out and now that you say foghat I think that may be right [I'm just too lazy to look it up]
yes they were an under rated band.....and Foghat was 3 former players...

Forum List

Back