Were You Really Taught History In School?

How can they teach History when the text books are basically fantasy? Publishers print what they know will sell, not was is factual. We were taught Marconi discovered radio frequency, when Telsa was responsible and there was a Supreme Court ruling to the fact. Yet teachers taught it was Marconi. One example of how slanted things can become and are perpetuated.

How can they teach History when the text books are basically fantasy? Publishers print what they know will sell, not was is factual. We were taught Marconi discovered radio frequency, when Telsa was responsible and there was a Supreme Court ruling to the fact. Yet teachers taught it was Marconi. One example of how slanted things can become and are perpetuated.
Many people were involved in the invention of radio in its current form. Experimental work on the connection between electricity and magnetism began around 1820 with the work of Hans Christian Ørsted, and continued with the work of André-Marie Ampère, Joseph Henry, and Michael Faraday. These investigations culminated in a theory of electromagnetism developed byJames Clerk Maxwell, which predicted the existence of electromagnetic waves.

Maxwell published A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism in 1873, stimulating many people to experiment with wireless communication. Others experimented without the benefit of his theories. It is considered likely that the first intentional transmission of a signal by means of electromagnetic waves was performed by David Edward Hughes around 1880, although this was considered to be induction at the time. The first systematic and unequivocal transmission of EM waves was performed by Heinrich Rudolf Hertz and described in papers published in 1887 and 1890. Hertz famously considered these results as being of little practical value.

After Hertz's work many people were involved in further development of the electronic components and methods to improve the transmission and detection of electromagnetic waves. Around the turn of the 20th century Guglielmo Marconi, developed the first apparatus for long distance radio communication.[1] On 23 December 1900, Reginald A. Fessenden became the first person to send audio (wireless telephony) by means of electromagnetic waves, successfully transmitting over a distance of about 1.6 kilometers, and six years later on Christmas Eve1906 he became the first person to make a public radio broadcast.[2][3]
Invention of radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tesla[edit]
In the early 1890s Nikola Tesla began research into high frequency electricity. During his visit to the Paris Exposition Universelle in 1889 Tesla learned of Hertz's experiments with electromagnetic waves using coils and spark gaps and proceeded to duplicate those experiments.[60][61] Tesla came to the incorrect[62] conclusion that Maxwell, Lodge, and Hertz were wrong in their findings that airborne electromagnetic waves (radio waves) were being transmitted and instead attributed it to what he called “electrostatic thrusts”,[63] with the real signals being conducted by Earth currents.[64]

In 1891 he developed various alternator apparatus that produced 15,000 cycles per second and developed his own very large air-gapped coil, known now as a Tesla coil.[65][66] Tesla's primary interest in wireless phenomenon was as a power distribution system.[67] By 1892 he was delivering lectures on high potential/high frequency alternate currents"[68] and went on to demonstrate "wireless lighting"[63] in 1893[69] including lighting Geissler tubes wirelessly. Tesla proposed this wireless technology could be developed into a system for the telecommunication of information.[citation needed]

Many people were involved in the invention of radio in its current form. Experimental work on the connection between electricity and magnetism began around 1820 with the work of Hans Christian Ørsted, and continued with the work of André-Marie Ampère, Joseph Henry, and Michael Faraday. These investigations culminated in a theory of electromagnetism developed byJames Clerk Maxwell, which predicted the existence of electromagnetic waves.

Maxwell published A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism in 1873, stimulating many people to experiment with wireless communication. Others experimented without the benefit of his theories. It is considered likely that the first intentional transmission of a signal by means of electromagnetic waves was performed by David Edward Hughes around 1880, although this was considered to be induction at the time. The first systematic and unequivocal transmission of EM waves was performed by Heinrich Rudolf Hertz and described in papers published in 1887 and 1890. Hertz famously considered these results as being of little practical value.

After Hertz's work many people were involved in further development of the electronic components and methods to improve the transmission and detection of electromagnetic waves. Around the turn of the 20th century Guglielmo Marconi, developed the first apparatus for long distance radio communication.[1] On 23 December 1900, Reginald A. Fessenden became the first person to send audio (wireless telephony) by means of electromagnetic waves, successfully transmitting over a distance of about 1.6 kilometers, and six years later on Christmas Eve1906 he became the first person to make a public radio broadcast.[2][3]
Invention of radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tesla[edit]
In the early 1890s Nikola Tesla began research into high frequency electricity. During his visit to the Paris Exposition Universelle in 1889 Tesla learned of Hertz's experiments with electromagnetic waves using coils and spark gaps and proceeded to duplicate those experiments.[60][61] Tesla came to the incorrect[62] conclusion that Maxwell, Lodge, and Hertz were wrong in their findings that airborne electromagnetic waves (radio waves) were being transmitted and instead attributed it to what he called “electrostatic thrusts”,[63] with the real signals being conducted by Earth currents.[64]

In 1891 he developed various alternator apparatus that produced 15,000 cycles per second and developed his own very large air-gapped coil, known now as a Tesla coil.[65][66] Tesla's primary interest in wireless phenomenon was as a power distribution system.[67] By 1892 he was delivering lectures on high potential/high frequency alternate currents"[68] and went on to demonstrate "wireless lighting"[63] in 1893[69] including lighting Geissler tubes wirelessly. Tesla proposed this wireless technology could be developed into a system for the telecommunication of information.[citation needed]

Was making a simplification for purposes of brevity here, sorry you missed it. Yes, I can copy and paste too, that wasn't the point. It's how misinformation gets taught in schools which was the whole point of the original thread. We ARE supposed to stick to the OP, are we not?

The victors write the history books, and those parts of history that don't look so good on the victors, they get written out.

Ain't dat right, Amherst Massachusetts?

>> In the 1650s, after Oliver Cromwell had conquered Ireland in a series of massacres, he left his brother, Henry, as the island’s governor. In the next decade Henry sold thousands of Irish people, mostly women and children, as slaves to the West Indies. Estimates range between 30,000 and 80,000. The high r number seems quite likely, in the light of a letter Henry Cromwell wrote to a slaver, saying “it is not in the least doubted you may have such a number of them as you think fitt [sic]... I desire to express as much zeal in this design as you could wish.” This Henry of the Uprighte Harte, as he called himself, said in another letter to a slaver who wanted only girls, “I think it might be of like advantage fitt to sende 1500 or 2000 young boys aforementioned. We could well spare them...”

The Irish slaves, most of them women, were mated with the Africans. There is “a tradition” – as historians sometimes call something which they have good reason to believe but can’t prove – that up to the early nineteenth century there were blacks on some of the islands who spoke Gaelic. In any case, the West Indian accent becomes much more comprehensible when the Irish slaves are taken into account. If you don’t know anyone from there, listen to the language in a film like The Harder They Come. The Irish tinge is unmistakable.

Why were these people sold into slavery? Henry gives us clues: “Concerning the young women, although we must use force takeinge them up, yet it beinge so much to their owne goode...” And in another letter, the one in which he suggests some men be taken too: “who knows but that it may be the meanes to make them Englishmen, I mean rather Christians.”

In other words, Henry was trying to sell off as many pagans as he could. This was at the height of the English witch-craze, which was a pogrom against those who still adhered to the Celtic religions. Ireland was the stronghold for the old beliefs. This, better than anything else, explains the mercilessness of Cromwell’s massacres there. How widespread would such beliefs have been? I know a woman whose Irish grandmother, in the 1950s, still referred to Christianism as “the new religion,” and taught her granddaughter what she could remember of the old Celtic rites. Jeanne Moreau’s film L’Adolescente tells of a similar experience she had with her grandmother in rural France in the late 1930s. Such stories speak of traditions that had strength through the nineteenth century in Europe. In Cromwell’s time “sabbats” are well-documented throughout the continent, and in Ireland the old ways were more a way of life than anywhere else.

And so we find, in West Indian Voodoo, a centerpost, a gaily painted pole very like the maypole that survives in Europe from Celtic pagan celebration, at the center of every ceremony.... -- Michael Ventura, Hear That Long Snake Moan

Tesla's imagination was in a whole class by itself, for true.

Were you really taught history in school or were you simply "spoon fed" what the government wanted you to be taught? Has Hollywood movies actually portrayed slavery in the correct light of actual historical facts?

"Government" has little to do with it; rather it's the "establishment", the institutions that choose which history books will be used. These have always reflected a conservative, "patriotic" stance that plays up for its student audience the most sanitized and jingoist events and spins, while playing down stuff like the rampant race riots of a century ago, or the Vietnam war. And what's left always gets told from the perspective of the vanquisher, never of the vanquished.

Sadly, school textbooks are never of the "warts and all" persuasion.

This is a good read: Lies My Teacher Taught Me

I had a serious drawback when I grew up in households filled with books. We have three encyclopedia which I read cover to cover during kindergarten and first grade, We had every single National Geographic since volume 1. We received all the big magazines and were members of the Book of the Month Club. I got so bored in school that I would ditch and go -- to the county museum or a load of interesting places.

That meant that I listened to the garbage spouted by teachers and know just how badly skewed it was. And that was in the 50s and 60d?

I cannot even guess at how badly biased and downright false current textbooks are. I really sorrow for students who may grow up never knowing the truth of so many things.

(Trying to set the record straight on California history is the very reason why I wrote my historical novels in Father Serra's Legacy and am working on two more.)

Were you really taught history in school or were you simply "spoon fed" what the government wanted you to be taught? Has Hollywood movies actually portrayed slavery in the correct light of actual historical facts?

Didn't Know Blacks Owned Slaves in America? You Were Taught History... ⋆ Joe For America

I was taught Euro-centric Imperialist-slanted history. :)
Indeed, much of history is Euro-centric which should not be surprising given that 4 of the 6 inhabited continents are populated and dominated largely by those of European descent and all cultures teach their own history more than that of others.

Very maps used (Mercator) convey Eurocentric-thinking. They're in no way accurate to what you'd see from orbit and marginalize, distort, and misrepresent reality. Greenland and Africa are shown as roughly the same size despite Africa being 14 times the area of Greenland. So when discussing things like enviromental protection, one might think they're both about equal in terms of enviromental significance yet Africa's 14 times as significant as Greenland.

Other things play a big part in how countries are thought of as well. As with northern and southern hemispheres. Or, to put it another way, tops and bottoms. Tops being dominant, bottoms being submissve. US, Europe, China, Russia are all tops. Australia, South America, Africa are all bottoms.

It's I think why news show uses an inverted map behind the host. Some proposed maps are like that and there's no empirical reason they can't be other than Eurocentric tops and bottoms-thinking.

Were you really taught history in school...

The question should be "did you really LEARN history in school"? Any lazy fool who just sits there and plays spittoon for whoever is telling you what to think and how to draw conclusions deserves all the ignorance they will surely display later on.

My favorite fairy tell revolves around our most recent holiday.
One which was originally celebrated almost a century before Plymouth Rock.

Born and raised in Florida, so......

Very maps used (Mercator) convey Eurocentric-thinking. They're in no way accurate to what you'd see from orbit and marginalize, distort, and misrepresent reality. Greenland and Africa are shown as roughly the same size despite Africa being 14 times the area of Greenland. So when discussing things like enviromental protection, one might think they're both about equal in terms of enviromental significance yet Africa's 14 times as significant as Greenland.
FFS, try to show a sphere on a flat surface and see what you come up with. The best you can do on relative size is a series of elongated footballs meeting only at the equator. Don't be such a vacuous hack!

FFS, try to show a sphere on a flat surface and see what you come up with. The best you can do on relative size is a series of elongated footballs meeting only at the equator. Don't be such a vacuous hack!

I'm aware of the problem of depicting 3d objects on 2d surfaces. But that issue isn't what's going on with Mercator maps. As you'd know if as knowledgeable about it as I am.

Forum List

Back