Well, how very inhumane of us

Oh, right; not actually inhumane at all.

Raise your hand if you know what it feels like to have breasts full of milk, with no relief/release in sight.

Define "breasts full of milk".

:eusa_think: I could relate, if the breasts didn't have to be mine.

.... not usually... not even in the psych wards... it is most uncommon.

yes... usually.

You have a criminal...for what ever reason in a public hospital.. they have cuffs on. If they are on a gurney...they are cuffed to the gurney.

But not once they are in hard labor or on the surgeon's table unless they are uncontrollably violent. An armed guard may be present, but they wouldn't restrain a woman in labor unless she was violent or had made an attempt to 'escape'.

yes... usually.

You have a criminal...for what ever reason in a public hospital.. they have cuffs on. If they are on a gurney...they are cuffed to the gurney.

But not once they are in hard labor or on the surgeon's table unless they are uncontrollably violent. An armed guard may be present, but they wouldn't restrain a woman in labor unless she was violent or had made an attempt to 'escape'.
Exactly.

yes... usually.

Some states will, and do, restrain an illegal entrant during childbirth who's previously been deported. Arizona, the state this occured in, is one of them. And according to the law, they're well within their rights to do so.

Last edited:

yes... usually.

Why not while in labor? Does being in labor change her status as a criminal? How do you know she was not violent or going to try and run?

I have no issue with her being cuffed (one wrist) to the gurney.

yes... usually.

During a procedure that requires their participation?

I've been an EMT in a prison town. Never transported an orange shirt with out them cuffed to the gurney - but NEVER more than one limb and rarely during procedures, once they arrived at the hospital.

Last edited:
You know - funny thing. When I went into labor, I thought that if I stayed upright, gravity would work with the baby. Only the contraction hit, and I fell over and slid down the wall. That was first contraction. I really can't see anybody fearing that a woman in the throes of active labor might try to make a break for it.

Oh, right; not actually inhumane at all.

Raise your hand if you know what it feels like to have breasts full of milk, with no relief/release in sight.

Define "breasts full of milk".

:eusa_think: I could relate, if the breasts didn't have to be mine.

:eusa_eh: But I couldn't raise a hand and comply.

The breasts will actually become engorged. Thirty years later, and I still wince when I remember. Excruciating pain. Many tears.

I'm in two minds over this.

Firstly, it strikes me as an incredibly archane measure. Also, putting a pregnant mother under physical duress threatens the baby's chances of surviving childbirth, and they're innocent of anything.

However, some states are at their wits end with regards to curbing illegal entry or are on the frontline, so to speak. The issue of anchor babies is a hot topic, and one that a lot of Americans are anxious to be done away with. The measures described by the link may just be one of several disuasive measues being trialed by states who are running out of conventional legal measures to curb the flood of illegal border hoppers from Mexico and Central America.

There is no such thing as an 'anchor baby.' The child him/herself is a US citizen. The parents can be deported. They have a choice about the baby. They can leave the baby with relatives/friends, take the baby with them, or leave the baby in state custody. But the baby dies not 'anchor' the parents to this country.

yes... usually.

During a procedure that requires their participation?

I've been an EMT in a prison town. Never transported an orange shirt with out them cuffed to the gurney - but NEVER more than one limb and rarely during procedures, once they arrived at the hospital.

See above post^^ .... I did not make it clear in the other posts.... one wrist only....

yes... usually.

Some states will, and do, restrain an illegal entrant during childbirth who's previously been deported. Arizona, the state this occured in, is one of them. And according to the law, they're well within their rights to do so.

Still, harsh. What does it change to show a Human Being compassion. Just saying.

While it is true that the trend is away from restrining patients even in mental facilities, you have to bear in mind that a person on a psych unit is generally not a criminal.

Firstly, it strikes me as an incredibly archane measure. Also, putting a pregnant mother under physical duress threatens the baby's chances of surviving childbirth, and they're innocent of anything.

However, some states are at their wits end with regards to curbing illegal entry or are on the frontline, so to speak. The issue of anchor babies is a hot topic, and one that a lot of Americans are anxious to be done away with. The measures described by the link may just be one of several disuasive measues being trialed by states who are running out of conventional legal measures to curb the flood of illegal border hoppers from Mexico and Central America.

There is no such thing as an 'anchor baby.' The child him/herself is a US citizen. The parents can be deported. They have a choice about the baby. They can leave the baby with relatives/friends, take the baby with them, or leave the baby in state custody. But the baby dies not 'anchor' the parents to this country.

Which is why i said that it was to bad they could not get her ass out of the country before she dropped her anchor.

Which is why i said that it was to bad they could not get her ass out of the country before she dropped her anchor.

The baby does not 'anchor' her here. She can still be deported. The baby cannot. But she can take the baby with her and when the child is 21 the child can reenter the US and request that the mother be allowed in with her. Legally, of course.

The baby does not 'anchor' her here. She can still be deported. The baby cannot. But she can take the baby with her and when the child is 21 the child can reenter the US and request that the mother be allowed in with her. Legally, of course.

I understand that, but there is the whole.... omg...splitting up families,bullshit. It usually does not happen forcing the parents out. I have no issue deporting the parents... if she wants her baby... take it with her..

In my opinion... any baby of someone other then an American citizen should be given a certificate of a live birth... not a US birth certificate. The nationality of the baby should be that of the illegal mother. That way there is NO issue deporting BOTH of them.

It obviously would not have to if they were not in it for themselves alone. Sowing seeds, scattering lineage, etc... Whether it's done premeditated or not, it could mean some interesting things for the future of the United States.

The funniest line I have heard in a long time was when Shrek said to Fiona that Donkey fell in a waffle hole. That's just pricelessly fitting.

Last edited:

I understand that, but there is the whole.... omg...splitting up families,bullshit. It usually does not happen forcing the parents out. I have no issue deporting the parents... if she wants her baby... take it with her..

In my opinion... any baby of someone other then an American citizen should be given a certificate of a live birth... not a US birth certificate. The nationality of the baby should be that of the illegal mother. That way there is NO issue deporting BOTH of them.
Considering how important keeping the family together is for Mexicans, I can't imagine there would be very many Mexican parents that would choose to abandon their kids.

Considering how important keeping the family together is for Mexicans, I can't imagine there would be very many Mexican parents that would choose to abandon their kids.

With Extended Family and Relatives, it happens. More often than not it is temporary.

Forum List

Back