Welfare equivalent to $50,000 a year job in many states

Again, taxpayers should not be paying her to raise her children. If she can't raise them, then she shouldn't have them. I would like a nice new 4 wheel drive truck so I can get a plow and do my parking lot and driveway. Why don't I have one? Because I can't afford it. Don't have things you can't afford. This is something any 8 year old can figure out.
Should of, could of, would of--flippin useless ass phrases that mean nothing. Taxpayers are not paying to raise their children, they are paying to raise "our children". I don't see why that is so hard to understand. I mean your solution, cut benefits, sterilizing people--can you say Eugenics, like I said previously, you are a dinosaur. It is not a going to produce a good outcome.

I mean you Republicans often wax and wane about the "founders". About the brave and tenacious Americans that defeated the British and established this nation. Back then, a father that failed to provide for his children was ran out of town on a rail. But did they leave the mother to her own devices? Hell no, the community "adopted" those children and afforded them all the comforts they could.

My father passed away a few months ago. I miss him terribly. But he was a great man. He actively sought out those children of single mothers, those orphans, and took them under his wing, mentored them, and developed them. One particular family stands out. It was a murder suicide, father shot the mother, then committed suicide. Dad employed all three sons, bagboys at his grocery store. He mentored them, and today one of them owns a multi million dollar business, the rest are quite successful in their own right. But that is just one family. Almost every day I will meet someone and when they find out who my father was, they will immediately respect me. He developed more young men and women than I could ever hope to do. But I try.

And perhaps that is the thing. Could of, would of, should of, that was never part of his vocabulary. And while Mom might have told me that, Dad lived it. And now I am starting to get emotional, and should probably walk away from the keyboard. But Dad's Dad was five foot nothing dynamo that married a six foot tall woman of wealth. Raised a migrant farm worker he built a farm of hundreds of acres. Illiterate, but at least half that acreage was taken at the poker table. Dad did the same thing, married a woman of wealth, and in the end, controlled almost a thousand acres of prime farmland on the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

The land is all gone now, mostly to Mexican immigrants that are willing to work it. And Mom, she is set. But in the end, one thing is very clear, you give to people what they need, you will receive whatever you desire. That is the lesson of my father, that is the theme of "Magnificent Obsession", and that is how I will live my life. We take care of those less fortunate than ourselves, period.

That is just wrong. You are only projecting your hatred of Twitter onto it’s workers. Come on Toob!
I have a hatred of Twitter? I've never even been a member there! Besides, most every news feed links all of their info TO Twitter! And I love Elon Musk, he's my kind of boss, so if anything, I'm getting rather FOND of Twitter now! Especially as all the libs admit defeat without so much as even putting up a fight and run off it like rats off a ship showing what they are really made of.

Working remotely has been shown to be a good option for a number of jobs, particularly, tech.
No doubt by someone who wanted to and liked to work at home. I ran a business out of my home once and it was the worst decision I ever made because there is no one there to push you but yourself. Besides, that's the company's decision to make, not the employee, and obviously Elon is looking for good workers willing to prove to him first that they can cut the cheese. I'm betting that those who do will make out very well at Twitter. All Musk is looking for is other people like him he can really depend on who are as driven and as ambitious as he is.

Should of, could of, would of--flippin useless ass phrases that mean nothing. Taxpayers are not paying to raise their children, they are paying to raise "our children". I don't see why that is so hard to understand. I mean your solution, cut benefits, sterilizing people--can you say Eugenics, like I said previously, you are a dinosaur. It is not a going to produce a good outcome.

I mean you Republicans often wax and wane about the "founders". About the brave and tenacious Americans that defeated the British and established this nation. Back then, a father that failed to provide for his children was ran out of town on a rail. But did they leave the mother to her own devices? Hell no, the community "adopted" those children and afforded them all the comforts they could.

My father passed away a few months ago. I miss him terribly. But he was a great man. He actively sought out those children of single mothers, those orphans, and took them under his wing, mentored them, and developed them. One particular family stands out. It was a murder suicide, father shot the mother, then committed suicide. Dad employed all three sons, bagboys at his grocery store. He mentored them, and today one of them owns a multi million dollar business, the rest are quite successful in their own right. But that is just one family. Almost every day I will meet someone and when they find out who my father was, they will immediately respect me. He developed more young men and women than I could ever hope to do. But I try.

And perhaps that is the thing. Could of, would of, should of, that was never part of his vocabulary. And while Mom might have told me that, Dad lived it. And now I am starting to get emotional, and should probably walk away from the keyboard. But Dad's Dad was five foot nothing dynamo that married a six foot tall woman of wealth. Raised a migrant farm worker he built a farm of hundreds of acres. Illiterate, but at least half that acreage was taken at the poker table. Dad did the same thing, married a woman of wealth, and in the end, controlled almost a thousand acres of prime farmland on the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

The land is all gone now, mostly to Mexican immigrants that are willing to work it. And Mom, she is set. But in the end, one thing is very clear, you give to people what they need, you will receive whatever you desire. That is the lesson of my father, that is the theme of "Magnificent Obsession", and that is how I will live my life. We take care of those less fortunate than ourselves, period.

And that's great. I'm all for private charity. I wish I had more to give because it would donate to homeless organizations. But we are not discussing private help, we're discussing taxpayers being forced to support children out of irresponsibility in most cases; people knowing how to take advantage of the system so they don't have to work 40 hours a week or in some cases, not at all.

No, these are not "our" children. If we want children, we know how to make them. Children are not products of government nor taxpayers, they are products of individuals. Because of that, it's the individuals responsibility to make sure they are financially secure before having any children. "It takes a village" was a commie book written by a woman that believes all people and money belong to government.

We live in a country where people can be just about anything they desire. In many countries if you're born poor, that's how you're going to stay the rest of your life no matter how hard you try. It's why millions try to get inside of this country every single year. If you are poor in the greatest county on earth, it's because you are lazy in most cases, and were conditioned into having other people pay your way through life. Either that or you made bad decisions as an adult, but that too should not be the liability of taxpayers.

I digress: I'm sorry to hear about your father. I know how hard it must be because I'm extremely close with mine. Pop is 92 and not in the best of health. It's difficult to say which one of us will go first given I'm dying of cancer myself. Either of us can live six months or six years. It's whatever is in Gods plans.

You’re deflecting. The point is that obviously people DO know how to get welfare. Liberals have set up “classes” to guide them through it.

No able-bodied adult should be getting rent subsidies, food stamps, cash payments, etc., when job are going begging at $20 an hour, and they refuse to work. Clearly, they’ve run the numbers and see that they’re can live a lower-middle class life either 1) working or 2) using other people’s money.

They are choosing the latter, and we should not be giving them that option.
It sounds as if you're referring to "Aid For Dependent Children", therefore the first requirement is that you have a dependent child for whom the government will provide financial assistance to care for said child.

It sounds as if you're referring to "Aid For Dependent Children", therefore the first requirement is that you have a dependent child for whom the government will provide financial assistance to care for said child.
Yes, thats true. So what’s your point? Why should an unmarried woman with two teens in school get to stay home and refuse to take a job? She can keep this going for 20 years.

Yes, thats true. So what’s your point? Why should an unmarried woman with two teens in school get to stay home and refuse to take a job? She can keep this going for 20 years.
Delusional. How can she keep it going for twenty years? AFDC for those teens ends once they turn 18, unless they are actively enrolled in school, and even then, it stops at 21. EBT benefits for the children would end when they turn 18, they would have to apply on their own. And if the mother is not working at all she gets zip from the EITC.

And it is just not true, that young teens don't need a stay at home parent. In many ways, they need them more than pre-schoolers. Hell, even college students--a full-time parent is a huge asset, during Covid that quickly became apparent. My son's mother-in-law has an MBA, she stayed home, raised the kids, and went back to work a couple of years ago, when her youngest graduated from college. My son's wife has a MSN, she is staying home to raise the kids and I don't expect her back to work for the next twenty years. Granted, both my son's father-in-law, and himself, have graduate degrees in Engineering and knock down some serious income. Actually, my son makes more.

And that is the point. There is no more important job than raising your children. And raising them in poverty, well that presents a whole different set of obstacles that you must overcome. Being a stay at home Mom with a husband knocking down six figures, that is child's play. Being a single mom, living on welfare, well they need all the help they can get, period. Denying them that help simply because you don't want to pay taxes is extraordinarily selfish and shortsighted. Those mothers don't need job training, they need parental training. Give them the tools they need to raise productive and independent citizens. Don't require them to go to work and leave their children to be raised by the street gangs. I mean, Du Huh.

Delusional. How can she keep it going for twenty years? AFDC for those teens ends once they turn 18, unless they are actively enrolled in school, and even then, it stops at 21. EBT benefits for the children would end when they turn 18, they would have to apply on their own. And if the mother is not working at all she gets zip from the EITC.

And it is just not true, that young teens don't need a stay at home parent. In many ways, they need them more than pre-schoolers. Hell, even college students--a full-time parent is a huge asset, during Covid that quickly became apparent. My son's mother-in-law has an MBA, she stayed home, raised the kids, and went back to work a couple of years ago, when her youngest graduated from college. My son's wife has a MSN, she is staying home to raise the kids and I don't expect her back to work for the next twenty years. Granted, both my son's father-in-law, and himself, have graduate degrees in Engineering and knock down some serious income. Actually, my son makes more.

And that is the point. There is no more important job than raising your children. And raising them in poverty, well that presents a whole different set of obstacles that you must overcome. Being a stay at home Mom with a husband knocking down six figures, that is child's play. Being a single mom, living on welfare, well they need all the help they can get, period. Denying them that help simply because you don't want to pay taxes is extraordinarily selfish and shortsighted. Those mothers don't need job training, they need parental training. Give them the tools they need to raise productive and independent citizens. Don't require them to go to work and leave their children to be raised by the street gangs. I mean, Du Huh.

First off there is no reason a person can't work full-time when the kids are in school. Secondly, by 20 years she means more than one child. Yes, 18 on the dole if they are twins, but most likely the have a few years in between them. Thirdly, how is it selfish not wanting to support families of people you never met yet alone know? I mean, if I'm going to support anybody, it will be somebody in my own family.

I think what all three of us can agree on is there is nothing more important than raising your own kids, but that doesn't mean that burden should fall on the tax payer. You want kids, you plan out how you're going to take care of them. Don't have children you can't afford to take care of either financially or personally. I never had children because of the expense. I was manual labor when I was young and never wanted to back myself in the corner with a financial expense I couldn't back out of. There is no reason anybody else male or female can't do the same.

So what do you do about it?
What do I do about women not getting impregnated by 3/4 different men who hit the road?
What I do is tell them what they should already know were they not so feelings driven-Don’t Do it.
What do you do-Wail that others should pay the freight for these “downtrodden women who deserve mercy”
What they deserve is sterilization and if not that how about a soul and some morality to not always be preggers?

First off there is no reason a person can't work full-time when the kids are in school. Secondly, by 20 years she means more than one child. Yes, 18 on the dole if they are twins, but most likely the have a few years in between them. Thirdly, how is it selfish not wanting to support families of people you never met yet alone know? I mean, if I'm going to support anybody, it will be somebody in my own family.

I think what all three of us can agree on is there is nothing more important than raising your own kids, but that doesn't mean that burden should fall on the tax payer. You want kids, you plan out how you're going to take care of them. Don't have children you can't afford to take care of either financially or personally. I never had children because of the expense. I was manual labor when I was young and never wanted to back myself in the corner with a financial expense I couldn't back out of. There is no reason anybody else male or female can't do the same.
Ray you are correctly stating that responsibility is more important, industrious and compassionate than dependence on charity but your counterparts have been raised and imbued that the responsible are “obligated” to take care of the irresponsible.

Aren’t you the slacker who admitted to not working so you could keep all six of your kids on welfare?!
Yeah, that is me. Could you pull your head out of your ass long enough to understand what that means. Yes, six kids. Five of them mine, the sixth another story, hit me up in a pro-life thread about it. Stupid ass Republicans. Damn easy to tell other people what they should do, not so damn easy to step up and address the issue, which is precisely what I did.

But of the five, two PHD's, two business owners that actually EMPLOY PEOPLE, hell you pick the two, any two will have paid more in taxes to Uncle Sam than your sorry ass makes. I like what my oldest tells people. I mean they flip out, you have five siblings? She doesn't miss a beat, tells them, Dad always said we were put here on this earth to make it a better place, he figured he needed all the help he could get. That is what they do. Every damn dime that Uncle Sam gave me, in EBT, in EITC, and no, there was no "welfare", he got back a resounding return. Hell, just the oldest son, he pays more in taxes in one year than I got in benefits in ten. Pretty solid return on investment no matter and how you look at it.

Honestly, you are self absorbed. You only see what effects you and are blind to the big picture. It is so "Boomer" of you. But the reality is, one day you are going to be old as dirt and dependent on Social Security and it will be my kids, raised in poverty and sucking up government benefits, that will be paying your bills. You should be thankful that someone had the forethought to make that happen.

syc=======

Wellfare is a good thing for some people who had a string of unfortunate events and get knocked down. They deserve a small boost to get them back on their feet. But there are far more that take advantage of the system so it needs strict rules put in place.

Wellfare should be limited to 4 months then it's reduced by 25% percent a month until it's 0.

Then you can't apply for welfare again for 3 years once your time runs out.

Only one person at an address can be on welfare within a 2 year period.

You can't have welfare unless you're living at an address of a place that is in your name.

Wellfare is baseline. You get the same amount if your single, if your married, if you have 1 child or 10 children. There is no fluctuation.

Why would anyone work?

A young woman on welfare with two children is the equivalent of a $50,000 a year job - and that’s before you consider commuting costs. If she has three children, her TANF and food stamps and “earned” (cough-cough) income credit reach $60,000.

Now consider that many welfare types live with extended families, so that the young woman with two children is living with her own mother, who still has a teenager at home, and they get the equivalent of another $40,000 a year. So a family with two adults, a teen, and two kids gets nearly $100,000 a year.

Now consider the typical family, headed by two high school graduates. Mom works In a support role in an accounting firm for $20 an hour, and Dad works the deli counter at Harris Teeter for $22 an hour. Together, they bring in $80,000 - BEFORE taxes.

No wonder we have a labor shortage.
I believe everyone has a Right to Life -- even those who can not earn. I have a mild to moderate disability myself.

I am proud of my great-grandparents who worked and fought for Soviet Russia. Communism became Totalitarian only after Leon Trotsky was exiled.

Good point, since you Dims love abortion soooo much. But keeping one or two is a real moneymaker.

Why would anyone work?

A young woman on welfare with two children is the equivalent of a $50,000 a year job - and that’s before you consider commuting costs. If she has three children, her TANF and food stamps and “earned” (cough-cough) income credit reach $60,000.

Now consider that many welfare types live with extended families, so that the young woman with two children is living with her own mother, who still has a teenager at home, and they get the equivalent of another $40,000 a year. So a family with two adults, a teen, and two kids gets nearly $100,000 a year.

Now consider the typical family, headed by two high school graduates. Mom works In a support role in an accounting firm for $20 an hour, and Dad works the deli counter at Harris Teeter for $22 an hour. Together, they bring in $80,000 - BEFORE taxes.

No wonder we have a labor shortage.
All you have to do is look at the Bret Favre welfare fraud scam that happened in TN to see Republicans don't give welfare funds to the people who need it. TN gets welfare money from the Federal Government and they basically treat it like a slush fund. I hear something like only 150 poor people in TN get welfare. Most are told NO when they apply. And instead of them getting the money, Bret Favre's daughter's volleyball team gets a new gym.

Republicans always said welfare doesn't work. I just didn't know they had insider information like this that the money isn't going to good use.

All you have to do is look at the Bret Favre welfare fraud scam that happened in TN to see Republicans don't give welfare funds to the people who need it. TN gets welfare money from the Federal Government and they basically treat it like a slush fund. I hear something like only 150 poor people in TN get welfare. Most are told NO when they apply. And instead of them getting the money, Bret Favre's daughter's volleyball team gets a new gym.

Republicans always said welfare doesn't work. I just didn't know they had insider information like this that the money isn't going to good use.

I never heard of it before so I looked it up. It had nothing to do with Tennessee. It took place in Mississippi. In any case when it was found out, he had to return the money. But it's clear how easy it is to scam our government ran programs. It's one of the major problems with them. It's a system that rewards people for not working.

Added to which, the states with the highest rates of poverty are red states. They have the lowest educational test scores, the highest rates of maternal death in childbirth and infant mortality and the protections for workers.

All of them are “taker” states, contributing less in federal taxes than they receive in federal funding. All have been run by Republicans since Johnson was President.

But keep telling people that it’s the Dems that run the nation into the ground.

Be a citizen,qualified Alien,be unemployed or under employed.

That’s it.

You can be fully employed and working 60 hours a week and still get food stamps or Section 8.

It’s based on income, not just employment. A subsidy for minimum wage corporations to underpay their workers while booking the biggest profits in their history.

Forum List

Back