We the People

It didn't say 'We the Delegates'. It said 'We the People of the United States'. The People are the principle. The States are their agent.

The delegates were speaking for the people of their states, obviously.

The delegates didn't cite themselves as the creators of the constitution. They cited the People of the United States.

And the constitution was established between the states that ratified it. Had any of the states not ratified it, that state wouldn't have been in the new union.

The States agents of We the People. Just as the Federal government is the agents of the Several States.

Yes, they cited the people of their states.

No, they cited the People of the United States.

Yes, each of the delegates spoke for the people of one of the united states.

They didn't say 'We the Delegates of the States'. They said 'We the People of the United States'.

As it was 'we the people' that created the constitution using the States as their agents.

Yes, I agree. The people of the united states created the constitution. The people of each united state sent delegates to a convention, where the constitution was drafted, and then the people of each united state ratified it, establishing it between their respective states. However, had the people of any united state chosen not to ratify it, the constitution would not apply to their state or them.

Then we agree.....the People of the United States created the constitution.

The delegates were speaking for the people of their states, obviously.

The delegates didn't cite themselves as the creators of the constitution. They cited the People of the United States.

And the constitution was established between the states that ratified it. Had any of the states not ratified it, that state wouldn't have been in the new union.

The States agents of We the People. Just as the Federal government is the agents of the Several States.

They didn't say 'We the Delegates of the States'. They said 'We the People of the United States'.

As it was 'we the people' that created the constitution using the States as their agents.

Yes, I agree. The people of the united states created the constitution. The people of each united state sent delegates to a convention, where the constitution was drafted, and then the people of each united state ratified it, establishing it between their respective states. However, had the people of any united state chosen not to ratify it, the constitution would not apply to their state or them.

Yes the people of those of the united states that ratified the constitution established the constitution between their respective states.

Yes the people of those of the united states that ratified the constitution established the constitution between their respective states.

"Yes, I agree. The people of the united states created the constitution."

I think you put it better right there.

Puhleeze, take your word for it.

Read the constitution. Its right there. All you have to do is read it.

You have read the constitution, yes?

What do think?

I'm guessing you never have. As your comments about electors don't demonstrate much understanding of how the constitution works.

I just wiped the floor with you.

Nope. You confused delegates for the republican convention with electors for the electoral college.

That's a rather embarrassing blunder you made.

As far as 'representation', read Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3. It affirms everything I've said.

Nothing affirms anything you said.

Read the constitution. Its right there. All you have to do is read it.

You have read the constitution, yes?

What do think?

I'm guessing you never have. As your comments about electors don't demonstrate much understanding of how the constitution works.

I just wiped the floor with you.

Nope. You confused delegates for the republican convention with electors for the electoral college.

That's a rather embarrassing blunder you made.

As far as 'representation', read Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3. It affirms everything I've said.

Nothing affirms anything you said.

Really? So where does the constitution state that Electors vote in political party conventions?

And of course, Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3 says this:

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.

Which is what I claimed.

Yes they established the constitution between their respective states.

The people of the united States created the Constitution using the states as their agents.

The people of the united States created the Constitution using the states as their agents.

And the constitution was established between their respective states.

With the respective States being agents of the people....who created the Constitution.

We can do this all day.

With the respective States being agents of the people....who created the Constitution.

We can do this all day.

Was the person who penned the words "We the people of the united states" speaking for the people of the state of Rhode Island?

We can do this all day.

Was the person who penned the words "We the people of the united states" speaking for the people of the state of Rhode Island?

Were the people of Rhode Island part of the United States at the time of its writing?

We can do this all day.

Were the people of Rhode Island part of the United States at the time of its writing?

Yes. They were a member under the articles.

And by what authority could delegates who wrote the constitution claim to speak for the people of rhode island? They didn't represent the people of all of the united states.

We can do this all day.

And by what authority could delegates who wrote the constitution claim to speak for the people of rhode island?

Ratification of the Constitution by the people of Rhodes Island obviously.

We can do this all day.

And by what authority could delegates who wrote the constitution claim to speak for the people of rhode island?

But the words "we the people" were penned years before Rhode Island ratified, and RI never sent any delegates to the convention. So when the delegates wrote "we the people" they couldn't possibly have been speaking for the people of RI, could they?

We can do this all day.

But the words "we the people" were penned years before Rhode Island ratified, and RI never sent any delegates to the convention. So when the delegates wrote "we the people" they couldn't possibly have been speaking for the people of RI, could they?

The words 'we the people' were penned before any State ratified it. What's your point?

The words 'we the people' were penned before any State ratified it. What's your point?

So who are the delegates to the convention referring to when they say "we the people"? Are they referring to the people of rhode island who never sent any delegates to the convention?

So who are the delegates to the convention referring to when they say "we the people"? Are they referring to the people of rhode island who never sent any delegates to the convention?

We the People of the United States.

And if Rhodes Island is part of the United States, yes...obviously. Which Rhodes Island itself affirmed by ratifying the Constitution.

Again, what is your point?

And if Rhodes Island is part of the United States, yes...obviously. Which Rhodes Island itself affirmed by ratifying the Constitution.

The delegates had no right or authority to speak for the people of Rhode Island. They only had authority to speak for the people of their own states.

So "we the people of the united states" was not necessarily a true statement, is it? They should have written "we the people of some of the united states".

The delegates had no right or authority to speak for the people of Rhode Island. They only had authority to speak for the people of their own states.
The State of Rhodes Island clearly disagreed.......as they ratified the constitution.

Who am I to believe? You...citing yourself? Or the People of the State of Rhodes Island, which ratified the very document you insist didn't have the authority to speak for them?

Once again, in any such contest there is always the same winner:

Not you.

So "we the people of the united states" is not necessarily a true statement, is it?

The State of Rhodes Island clearly disagreed.......as they ratified the constitution.

Who am I to believe? You...citing yourself? Or the People of the State of Rhodes Island, which ratified the very document you insist didn't have the authority to speak for them?

Once again, in any such contest there is always the same winner:

Not you.

You seem to be purposely missing my point, so I give up.

The fact remains that the constitution was established between states. It is an interstate agreement.

Forum List

Back