CDZ We need to modify not erase Confederate Memorials, Texas fought the civil war for slavery.

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
I think people are going about the removal of the Confederate flags and Civil War memorials the wrong way.

My POV is the war WAS fought to southerners could continue owning other humans. Sure someone may have thought they were defending Georgia or whatever but every time I turn around I get slapped by some form of 19th Century racism. Below are quotes from Texas' declaration of secession.

SO, I think if we remove these symbols of hatred and bigotry future generations may not learn from the mistakes of the past. We need to as blatantly as possible modify the memorials to make them monuments to the Underground Railroad, the terribleness of slavery or whatever gets the point across.

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/secession/2feb1861.html
38899d1435548494-confederate-flags-agckgzm.jpg

Confederate-Flag-Design-485x271.jpg

I don't think anyone is advocating not learning about the Confederacy and past mistakes.

Since day one, my position has been in support of removing these statues because they seceded from our country. They broke from our union and were traitors.

To make a statue of someone is to honor them, and Confederate figures do not deserve to be honored based on their actions.

The statues represent the thought that "too bad the Confederacy didn't win, we'd still have slavery and no one would tell us what to do".

Should we teach future generations that they too could be honored with statues if they lead a movement to secede from their country?

I really think the trick is to turn the statues into some kind of anti slavery memorials.

Gotta be careful we don't create an Archie Bunker like hero of the bigots though.

I think people are going about the removal of the Confederate flags and Civil War memorials the wrong way.

My POV is the war WAS fought to southerners could continue owning other humans. Sure someone may have thought they were defending Georgia or whatever but every time I turn around I get slapped by some form of 19th Century racism. Below are quotes from Texas' declaration of secession.

SO, I think if we remove these symbols of hatred and bigotry future generations may not learn from the mistakes of the past. We need to as blatantly as possible modify the memorials to make them monuments to the Underground Railroad, the terribleness of slavery or whatever gets the point across.

DECLARATION OF CAUSES: February 2, 1861 A declaration of the causes which impel the State of Texas to secede from the Federal Union. | TSLAC
38899d1435548494-confederate-flags-agckgzm.jpg

Confederate-Flag-Design-485x271.jpg
Wrong.

The statues of the rebel leaders can be moved to museums.

This way people get to see the faces of these criminals.

When you think about it, it's kind of Ironic that we see Revolutionary war hero statues in the US. The only difference from the Civil War is we succeeded in seceding from Britain and the South lost.

When you think about it, it's kind of Ironic that we see Revolutionary war hero statues in the US. The only difference from the Civil War is we succeeded in seceding from Britain and the South lost.

One group fought for and founded our country.

The other attempted to break us up.

That is the difference.

It's always hilarious to me when people fly the confederate flag. It's like they want to proclaim loud and proud than they are losers. Maybe a statement that they are rebels? Well still you are showing rebels are losers. Have fun with that I guess.

On one level that is true.

On another, I will submit it seemed like the Revolutionary War heroes were fighting for a greater good. It seems like the Confederates were fighting for slavery.

Forum List

Back