"We Know in 2001 Cell Phones Worked Up To 50,000 Feet and..."

thanks, why didn't they label it Pacifier mode? For the cell phone junkies.

Cell phone junkies live in denial---just like any addict. ;)

You go labeling it "Pacifier Mode", they have to admit they're addicted to their Crackberry.

See? ;)

Ahh yes marketing....

Yes. Marketing.

You think a Crackberry Addict is gonna buy a phone for a few hundred bucks that has a "Pacifier Mode" instead of "Airplane Mode"?

Somehow I don't think that will make them feel all smug and important using their smartphone on a plane, ya think? :lol:

Because wireless networks are designed for terrestrial use, the fact that so many people were able to call from the sky brings into question how the phones worked from such altitudes.

Alexa Graf, AT&T spokesperson, said systems are not designed for calls from high altitudes, suggesting it was almost a fluke that the calls reached their destinations.

“On land, we have antenna sectors that point in three directions — say north, southwest, and southeast,” she explained. “Those signals are radiating across the land, and those signals do go up, too, due to leakage.”

From high altitudes, the call quality is not very good, and most callers will experience drops. Although calls are not reliable, callers can pick up and hold calls for a little while below a certain altitude, she added.

Final Contact

It's pretty obvious that AT&T--a leader in phone technology--will be thought of as being "in on it" by the conspiracy whackjobs.

Saliva kills circuit boards......

This is true.....

And water/saliva damage is NOT covered under replacement warranty coverage by ANY provider---ATT, Verizon, Sprint Nextel, T-Mobile, MetroPCS, etc etc etc.

So, you suck on your phone, you're screwed!

Just say NO and put it away for the flight. :D

I saw a commercial for a water resistant cell phone yesterday. I forget the company though.

Mil Specs they called it.

Because wireless networks are designed for terrestrial use, the fact that so many people were able to call from the sky brings into question how the phones worked from such altitudes.

Alexa Graf, AT&T spokesperson, said systems are not designed for calls from high altitudes, suggesting it was almost a fluke that the calls reached their destinations.

“On land, we have antenna sectors that point in three directions — say north, southwest, and southeast,” she explained. “Those signals are radiating across the land, and those signals do go up, too, due to leakage.”

From high altitudes, the call quality is not very good, and most callers will experience drops. Although calls are not reliable, callers can pick up and hold calls for a little while below a certain altitude, she added.

Final Contact

It's pretty obvious that AT&T--a leader in phone technology--will be thought of as being "in on it" by the conspiracy whackjobs.

That quote from AT+T is in the OP link. You could have saved yourself some googling time by reading it but this helps prove you are not interested in information...which is why you didn't read the OP link. Why would anyone claim AT+T is "in on it?" Your link, which is in the OP link, does not support the OCT.

What range do cell towers have? Anyone have any links?

I haven't looked too much for links just now but I recall hearing that the range is different in cities versus rural towers.

Rural towers have weaker signals. There are some idiots out there who have tried to claim the calls on the planes were possible due to lack of interference of being in the sky......ugh. Idiots.

Saliva kills circuit boards......

This is true.....

And water/saliva damage is NOT covered under replacement warranty coverage by ANY provider---ATT, Verizon, Sprint Nextel, T-Mobile, MetroPCS, etc etc etc.

So, you suck on your phone, you're screwed!

Just say NO and put it away for the flight. :D

I bought the extra insurance, which covered water, and it was well worth it. After paying the $50 deductible when mine got wet I got an extra accessory kit with a new case, battery, adapters, and set of headphones.

I hate to break it to you but your premise is wrong.

• A NASA report from 2001[6] summarizes "14 years of incidents reported by pilots to the ASRS" of interference caused, or suspected to be caused, by passenger electronic devices. Mobile phones were the most frequently identified source of interference, with laptop computers a close second. In no cases were the affected avionics found to be defective upon later testing. Degrees of correlation or confidence were not among the data summarized in the report.
Mobile phones on aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hate to break it to you but your premise is wrong.

• A NASA report from 2001[6] summarizes "14 years of incidents reported by pilots to the ASRS" of interference caused, or suspected to be caused, by passenger electronic devices. Mobile phones were the most frequently identified source of interference, with laptop computers a close second. In no cases were the affected avionics found to be defective upon later testing. Degrees of correlation or confidence were not among the data summarized in the report.
Mobile phones on aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've already stated many phones have a plane mode due to interference with avionics so....how....exactly does your wiki link respond to the premise?

Seatback phones. Give it some thought.

Seatback phones don't have anything to do with the op. However, it is encouraging that even after looking for evidence about cells working that high and fast the best you can come up with is an immediate distraction.

you have a lot of fucking nerve calling the seat back phone comment a distraction. your entire thread is a "distraction".....

Renee May called her parents at 9:12. the call lasted for several minutes. she instructed her parents to call American Airlines and report the hijacking and gave her parents the phone numbers.

Renee May's parents DID call American Airlines and reported the hijacking BEFORE the plane hit the pentagon.

unless you are claiming all this did NOT happen then the entire thread is a "distraction" as it doesnt matter how the call was made. it obviously was made. it doesnt matter how strong cell phone signals are or if cell phones were used at all. the phone call was made, jackass.

Seatback phones. Give it some thought.

Seatback phones don't have anything to do with the op. However, it is encouraging that even after looking for evidence about cells working that high and fast the best you can come up with is an immediate distraction.

you have a lot of fucking nerve calling the seat back phone comment a distraction. your entire thread is a "distraction".....

Renee May called her parents at 9:12. the call lasted for several minutes. she instructed her parents to call American Airlines and report the hijacking and gave her parents the phone numbers.

Renee May's parents DID call American Airlines and reported the hijacking BEFORE the plane hit the pentagon.

unless you are claiming all this did NOT happen then the entire thread is a "distraction" as it doesnt matter how the call was made. it obviously was made. it doesnt matter how strong cell phone signals are or if cell phones were used at all. the phone call was made, jackass.

The 9E CR says the call was made with her cell phone. I forget the schedule? Is this the week you guys don't care what the 9E CR says? Or is this a week where you say it is accurate?

The 9E CR says the call was made with her cell phone. I forget the schedule? Is this the week you guys don't care what the 9E CR says? Or is this a week where you say it is accurate?

Can you please tell me what page of the CR that statement is on? I did a search for "Renee" and "cell phone" and find no statement about Renee making the call from her cell phone.

Here's the link to the CR I used. Maybe you can find it http://www.gpoaccess.gov/911/pdf/fullreport.pdf

are you claiming the call was not made?

Can you please tell me what page of the CR that statement is on? I did a search for "Renee" and "cell phone" and find no statement about Renee making the call from her cell phone.

Here's the link to the CR I used. Maybe you can find it http://www.gpoaccess.gov/911/pdf/fullreport.pdf
It doesn't say cell phone.

At 9:12, Renee May called her mother,Nancy May, in Las Vegas. She said
her flight was being hijacked by six individuals who had moved them to the
rear of the plane. She asked her mother to alert American Airlines. Nancy May
and her husband promptly did so.

Regardless, the premise is stupid. It is possible to make cell phone calls from aboard flights...coverage might be bad and/or spotty but they are possible to an extent.

are you claiming the call was not made?

Whenever you ask him to take a stand, he runs. That tells you ALL you need to know about curvelight.

Curvelight? Did you make this up or are you looking at another version of the CR?

images

Helloooo??? Curvy????

:lol:

Regardless, the premise is stupid. It is possible to make cell phone calls from aboard flights...coverage might be bad and/or spotty but they are possible to an extent.

You say the premise is "stupid" but you have not presented any evidence to back up your claim cell calls were plausible.....especially at 30,000 feet. The op presents evidence it is not a reasonable assumption. What else you got?

Forum List

Back