We get 5 Americans, they get 5 Iranians and $6B: U.S., Iran Agree to Prisoner Swap

As much as I want to see Americans detained under questionable circumstances returned home, I loathe the idea of paying for them, even if it is Iran's money. We as a country may not negotiate with terrorists, but it sure seems like we can be blackmailed...

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration has cleared the way for the release of five American citizens detained in Iran by issuing a blanket waiver for international banks to transfer $6 billion in frozen Iranian money from South Korea to Qatar without fear of U.S. sanctions. In addition, as part of the deal, the administration has agreed to release five Iranian citizens held in the United States.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken signed off on the sanctions waivers late last week, a month after U.S. and Iranian officials said an agreement in principle was in place. Congress was not informed of the waiver decision until Monday, according to the notification, which was obtained by The Associated Press...

Don't try to tell me that none of this money will wind up in the coffers of Hamas or ISIS or the Muslim Brotherhood or some other terrorist group. Terrorism is Iran's biggest export...

And let's not forget their nuclear program...

Technically we get Iranians too. They are all dual citizens

In case anyone missed these litttle details, here are the "5 Iranian Citizens" Biden agreed to release:

Kaveh Lotfolah Afrasiabi, an Iranian charged in 2021 with allegedly failing to register as a foreign agent on Iran’s behalf while lobbying U.S. officials on issues like nuclear policy;

— Mehrdad Ansari, an Iranian sentenced to 63 months in prison in 2021 for obtaining equipment that could be used in missiles, electronic warfare, nuclear weapons and other military gear;

— Amin Hasanzadeh, an Iranian and permanent resident of the United States whom prosecutors charged in 2019 with allegedly stealing engineering plans from his employer to send to Iran;

— Reza Sarhangpour Kafrani, an Iranian charged in 2021 over allegedly unlawfully exporting laboratory equipment to Iran; and

— Kambiz Attar Kashani, an Iranian-American sentenced in February to 30 months in prison for purchasing “sophisticated, top-tier U.S. electronic equipment and software” through front companies in the United Arab Emirates.

Well, on the upside none of them appear to be the Iranian equivalent of Viktor Bout...

We did steal it, no doubt. The US government spends more money than it has every single year for most of my life. Your post is silly.

You're silly.

It wasn't stolen. Very litle of the money was frozen in the U.S., the majority is locked up outside of the U.S.. No one has spent any of Iran's money.

Last edited:
Well, on the upside none of them appear to be the Iranian equivalent of Viktor Bout...
Great point! We trade an idiot basketball player who thought he/she could sneak hash oils through freaking Russian Security for one of the most notorious arms dealers in the world. I wonder how many soldiers and innocents have died because of Viktor Bout provided weaponry?

As much as I want to see Americans detained under questionable circumstances returned home, I loathe the idea of paying for them, even if it is Iran's money. We as a country may not negotiate with terrorists, but it sure seems like we can be blackmailed...

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration has cleared the way for the release of five American citizens detained in Iran by issuing a blanket waiver for international banks to transfer $6 billion in frozen Iranian money from South Korea to Qatar without fear of U.S. sanctions. In addition, as part of the deal, the administration has agreed to release five Iranian citizens held in the United States.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken signed off on the sanctions waivers late last week, a month after U.S. and Iranian officials said an agreement in principle was in place. Congress was not informed of the waiver decision until Monday, according to the notification, which was obtained by The Associated Press...

Don't try to tell me that none of this money will wind up in the coffers of Hamas or ISIS or the Muslim Brotherhood or some other terrorist group. Terrorism is Iran's biggest export...

And let's not forget their nuclear program...
If I understand correctly, I believe most of these "Americans" are "Iranian Americans". We are such fools. What is the point of sanctions again?

So we get 5 Americans and Iran gets 5 Iranians and $6 billion that the US stole from them. I'm not seeing a problem here.

So we get 5 Americans and Iran gets 5 Iranians and $6 billion that the US stole from them. I'm not seeing a problem here.
They didn’t steal it. They were holding it until Iran stopped sponsoring terrorist activities, including against Israel.

But Obama is OK with all that, and authorized the release of billions because….he stands with Muslims. He even said so.

They didn’t steal it. They were holding it until Iran stopped sponsoring terrorist activities, including against Israel.

But Obama is OK with all that, and authorized the release of billions because….he stands with Muslims. He even said so.
So if I take money out of your bank account and hold it until you do what I want, that's not stealing? And when is the US going to stop sponsoring terrorists?

So if I take money out of your bank account and hold it until you do what I want, that's not stealing? And when is the US going to stop sponsoring terrorists?
Nope….that’s freezing the funds, and it is done in this country all the time. Stealing would be if my funds were removed, and then spent.

And stop with your anti-American hate.

Nope….that’s freezing the funds, and it is done in this country all the time. Stealing would be if my funds were removed, and then spent.

So taking someone else's money isn't stealing unless the money is spent. Got it. So if a guy robs a bank, but gets mugged on the way home, then he didn't steal any money because he didn't spend it.
And stop with your anti-American hate.
I don't hate America. I hate the US government and the people who run it. But that is not the same as hating America.

So taking someone else's money isn't stealing unless the money is spent. Got it. So if a guy robs a bank, but gets mugged on the way home, then he didn't steal any money because he didn't spend it.

I don't hate America. I hate the US government and the people who run it. But that is not the same as hating America.
instead of money just bomb them back to the stone age....they will start to see it our way just like nazi germany, empire of japan, and Saddam Hussein did

If the people whose funds you are freezing use money to pay for terrorism, then why would we enable that?

If the people whose funds you are freezing use money to pay for terrorism, then why would we enable that?
What's your evidence for that? When was there a court case to determine that? And what about the US government's funding of terrorists? Interestingly, Republicans are fine with the US funding terrorists, as long as these terrorists go after Israel's enemies. It's almost as if every Republican, including Trump, is Israel First.

What's your evidence for that? When was there a court case to determine that? And what about the US government's funding of terrorists? Interestingly, Republicans are fine with the US funding terrorists, as long as these terrorists go after Israel's enemies. It's almost as if every Republican, including Trump, is Israel First.
Iran is a state sponsor of terror, funneling money to HAMAS. This is common knowledge. Why you are so eager to side with a terrorist regime like Iran is beyond me.

instead of money just bomb them back to the stone age....they will start to see it our way just like nazi germany, empire of japan, and Saddam Hussein did
Maybe the rumors of Iran having nukes are true. The US never attacks countries that can defend themselves.

Forum List

Back