We don't need no stinkin Dept of Education!

as for what permits things like the department of education, i'll refer you to the constitution's general welfare clause. it's bad for the country to have a bunch of undereducated or miseducated people running around.

Almost every high school grad is undereducated.

They can't write for shit, can't do basic math without a calculator don't know squat about history or geography.

So , in monetary terms, the choices are >

A) local control , mandates from the state level tethered to whatever taxation they feel like imposing

B) fed control, unfunded mandates tethered to property taxation which parameters are known

did i miss anything?

~S~

as for what permits things like the department of education, i'll refer you to the constitution's general welfare clause. it's bad for the country to have a bunch of undereducated or miseducated people running around.

They can't write for shit, can't do basic math without a calculator don't know squat about history or geography.

Link? Proof that "almost every high school grad is undereducated"? Got a standard measure of "undereducated"? Something specific?

Link? Proof that "almost every high school grad is undereducated"? Got a standard measure of "undereducated"? Something specific?

The American Spectator : Uneducated to Serve

SHOCKING: Nearly 1 In 4 High School Graduates Can't Pass Military Entrance Exam

All you have to do is talk to any employer in your town and ask them how pathetic high school kids are at basic skills like writing and arithmetic.

All you have to do is talk to any employer in your town and ask them how pathetic high school kids are at basic skills like writing and arithmetic.

Most of the smart kids go to college, not enlist in the military.

Not in my county. The exact opposite is true.
But it had to do with PARENTS, not government.

Bachmann: Why do we need a Department of Education, anyway? « Hot Air

Or so it seems.

Painting herself as a “constitutional conservative” Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann told Sen. Jim DeMint’s forum Monday that if elected president she would look to get rid of the Department of Education, among other things.

yes... because it's so much easier to teach religion as science when you do away with standards. :cuckoo:

You would appear sooooo much more intelligent if you actually knew something about the subject about which you post!

The National Education Association (NEA) “In 1972, the massive union formed a political action committee…released ‘Needed: A Cabinet Department of Education’ in 1975, but its most significant step was to endorse a presidential candidate- Jimmy Carter- for the first time in the history of the organization.” D.T. Stallngs, “A Brief History of the Department of Education: 1979-2002,” p. 3.

When formed, its budget was $13.1 billion (in 2007 dollars) and it employed 450 people. In 2010, the estimated budget is $107 billion, and there are 4,800 employees. http://crunchycon.nationalreview.co...-department-education-not-radical/mona-charen

Now, here is some actual data that might inform your view:

“In November 1995, when the federal government shut down over a budget crisis, 89.4 percent of the department’s employees were deemed ‘nonessential’ and sent home.” Beck and Balfe, “Broke,” p.304

Well, trash collection, national parks, passport offices, courts, National Institute of Health, museums, monuments, and all non emergency government jobs were deemed "non essential" during the 1995 federal government shut down.
The standard is "protecting lives, property or national security" with government shutdowns.
Although I am a proponent of cutting about 80% of the Dept. of Education, using the government stoppage "non essential" definition in cutting their work force is not applicable.

So how have American Students fared since the establishment of a Federal Department of (Public Education) in 1980?

Why do we need to spend $70B annually for this unconstitutional anti-learning establishment? We are paying for our own cultural destruction. The DoEd needs to meet a quick end ASAP

She also want's to get rid of the EPA.

Ever notice how those that want to get rid of education are all stupid?
Who has been running the public education system for the last 50 years again? It's been so successful we've been consistantly dropping every decade in comparison to other nations. It's time for a flat out change away from a system that has a track record of not working.

Who has been running the public education system for the last 50 years again? Overwhelmingly, state and local governments. Those governments have almost total control over curricula, and spend more than ten times as much on education as the federal government does.

Who collects the standardized data on US schools which tells you that we're dropping in comparison to other nations? The US Department of Education.

Your post relies on a service provided by the federal government while attempting to blame the federal government for poor results in an area in which state and local governments exercise primary control.

(I don't mean to blame disappointing test scores on state and local governments. Part of the problem is a matter of American culture, not government. Another big part is that other countries are improving, making American's appear more poorly educated in comparison.)

Building the damn schools costs 20 times what the Federal government spends.
And that is also not a function of the Federal government.

Can''t think of any where in the constitution that gives the Federal Government any control over education. I believe that should be up to the individual State....

let me help, ollie... it's not up to the individual states because a) there's no reason to; and b) the states can't be trusted on their own. on their own, some of them like teaching creationism as science....

which is why there are national standards.

I trust the State much more than the last 32 years of the Fed sticking their noses into Education. And I trust the village even more than the state......

And yes the Department of Education is only 32 years old. I graduated HS before it came into being. And I can read and spell and count and all kinds of neat things.

You really didn't answer my question the way it was asked, did you?

Can''t think of any where in the constitution that gives the Federal Government any control over education. I believe that should be up to the individual State....

Amen Sarge, the Department of Education is an illegal government enity and as such has no hold over the states as far a the mandate they issue be lawful. Therefore, since it department is an illegal branch of the government, the state by right have an inheriant duty to the people of the individual states to resist any and all mandates issued by this department.

Most of the smart kids go to college, not enlist in the military.

Actually there are a lot of very intelligent people in the military. In fact I'll hire a 22 year old with military experience over any 22 yr old college puke with a degree in psychology any day.

I am currently teaching my 11 grade grandson the write in cursive, because they do not teach it in his school any longer. His school system seem to think that with the advent of the computer to it's current status, there is no need to be able to write in cursive any longer. Well, what about signing one paycheck or what about having to sign legal documents.

You really didn't answer my question the way it was asked, did you?

High School Remedial Courses - Are you prepared for college-level work?

40% of high school grads need to take at least one remedial course to prepare for college

Sounds pretty much like an undereducated bunch to me. Add in those that do not go to college and the percentage is bound to be significantly higher.

Last edited:
Bachmann: Why do we need a Department of Education, anyway? « Hot Air

Or so it seems.

Painting herself as a “constitutional conservative” Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann told Sen. Jim DeMint’s forum Monday that if elected president she would look to get rid of the Department of Education, among other things.

yes... because it's so much easier to teach religion as science when you do away with standards. :cuckoo:

My God, how ever did we manage to educate anybody for the first 200 years of our nation without the Dept of Education? You know it didn't exist until the Carter Administration, right? I also find it no coincidence that public education has also been on the decline since around the time frame.

Forum List

Back