Water Shortages Europe.

alexa

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2009
Scotland
There is a very concerning drought happening in Italy. In the Po Valley, a European strong agricultural area. There has been no rain since December and it is becoming a danger to the needs of both people and agriculture People are being fined from misusing water.

The drought is caused by higher-than-usual temperatures, scant rainfall and much less snow during the winter, particularly in the southern Alps, which in turn contributed to lower snowmelt flowing into the Po.

The situation is so acute that leaders of Lombardy, Piedmont, Veneto and Emilia-Romagna said on Thursday they would ask for a state of emergency to be declared in their regions. Some northern towns require water supplies to be delivered by trucks, and calls have been made for 125 towns to ration supplies of drinking water to restore reservoir levels.

The river’s depth currently measures up to 2.7 metres below the zero gauge, well below the average for June, while its flow rate into the sea has slowed to 300 cubic meters a second – a fifth of the average for this time of year.

The Po valley experienced droughts in 2007, 2012 and 2017, and scientists say their growing prevalence is a further indication of the climate crisis.

“This drought is unique in history due to the combination of two anomalies – the lack of rain, on top of the elevated temperature, which is directly linked to climate change,” said Luca Mercalli, the president of the Italian Meteorological
Mercalli, who lives in a mountain town in Piedmont, added: “It’s as if it’s the end of July in the Alps, water is running out as little snow remains and in a week’s time there will be no more reserves. We recently measured the snow level at a 3,000-metre altitude – usually in June there are two metres but this year not only is there no snow but flowers are already blooming.

“The situation is only going to get worse as the next few months are forecast to be hot and dry.”

The Po valley is a crucial economic area for Italy, enabling industrial hubs such as Turin, Milan and Brescia, along with a vast variety of sectors, to thrive, and is one of the most important agricultural zones in Europe.
Society.

and there is a water shortage in the East of Scotland where I am living. I haven't heard of that before never mind at this time of the year.

Last edited:
There is a very concerning drought happening in Italy. In the Po Valley, a European strong agricultural area there is drought. There has been no rain since December and a danger to the needs of both people and agriculture People are being fined from misusing water.

and there is a water shortage in the East of Scotland where I am living. I haven't heard of that before never mind at this time of the year.

Thats what causes a lot of wars, drought.

As climate change has caused global temperatures to rise, there also seems to be an ever-growing number of conflicts around the world. So, what is the evidence linking climate change to war?

Last edited:

As climate change has caused global temperatures to rise, there also seems to be an ever-growing number of conflicts around the world. So, what is the evidence linking climate change to war?
Yes they have said to expect them for a long time and of course we are fighting Russia. We will be fighting for other's resources. We may be doing that now.

We will need to see how this goes. It may rain till September! but the West has been quiet while countries in the south suffer from either drought or flooding. This is Europe. We are fighting Russia in Ukraine. Fighting wars is not going to help.

There is a very concerning drought happening in Italy. In the Po Valley, a European strong agricultural area. There has been no rain since December and it is becoming a danger to the needs of both people and agriculture People are being fined from misusing water.

Italy has never been well-suited for agriculture, let alone modern agriculture. It is why they buily aqueducts to begin with. Rome has just now taken the task of repairing its badly neglected water infrastructure that was leaking as much as 40 percent of the water that was going into it. They'll get it sorted eventually.

Italy has never been well-suited for agriculture, let alone modern agriculture. It is why they buily aqueducts to begin with. Rome has just now taken the task of repairing its badly neglected water infrastructure that was leaking as much as 40 percent of the water that was going into it. They'll get it sorted eventually.
The Guardian article does not agree with you. They say the Po Valley where this drought is, is one of the most important agriculture zones for Europe.. They also say that the way things have gone leave no doubt that this is due to climate change. You must not have read it.

The drought is caused by higher-than-usual temperatures, scant rainfall and much less snow during the winter, particularly in the southern Alps, which in turn contributed to lower snowmelt flowing into the Po.

The situation is so acute that leaders of Lombardy, Piedmont, Veneto and Emilia-Romagna said on Thursday they would ask for a state of emergency to be declared in their regions. Some northern towns require water supplies to be delivered by trucks, and calls have been made for 125 towns to ration supplies of drinking water to restore reservoir levels.

The river’s depth currently measures up to 2.7 metres below the zero gauge, well below the average for June, while its flow rate into the sea has slowed to 300 cubic meters a second – a fifth of the average for this time of year.

The Po valley experienced droughts in 2007, 2012 and 2017, and scientists say their growing prevalence is a further indication of the climate crisis.

“This drought is unique in history due to the combination of two anomalies – the lack of rain, on top of the elevated temperature, which is directly linked to climate change,” said Luca Mercalli, the president of the Italian Meteorological

Mercalli, who lives in a mountain town in Piedmont, added: “It’s as if it’s the end of July in the Alps, water is running out as little snow remains and in a week’s time there will be no more reserves. We recently measured the snow level at a 3,000-metre altitude – usually in June there are two metres but this year not only is there no snow but flowers are already blooming.

“The situation is only going to get worse as the next few months are forecast to be hot and dry.”

The Po valley is a crucial economic area for Italy, enabling industrial hubs such as Turin, Milan and Brescia, along with a vast variety of sectors, to thrive, and is one of the most important agricultural zones in Europe.

Most countries have problems with not looking after their pipes and what not enough resulting in losing water but this is not what they are putting this drought down to - nor in the East of Scotland or the borders.

Of course climate change is a hoax.These people remind me of Canute trying to turn back the waves. They will be denying it as the flames lick up their legs.

The Guardian article does not agree with you. They say the Po Valley where this drought is, is one of the most important agriculture zones for Europe.. They also say that the way things have gone leave no doubt that this is due to climate change. You must not have read it.

Most countries have problems with not looking after their pipes and what not enough resulting in losing water but this is not what they are putting this drought down to - nor in the East of Scotland or the borders.

The Guardian article and you miss the point that just because agriculture is grown there does not mean that it is well suited for agriculture. It is no different than the US growing so much crap in southern california that cannot supply the water needed so it has to be brought in from somewhere else.

The Guardian article and you miss the point that just because agriculture is grown there does not mean that it is well suited for agriculture. It is no different than the US growing so much crap in southern california that cannot supply the water needed so it has to be brought in from somewhere else.
While the Guardian is not in my opinion left any more it does have still a reputation for writing the truth and has taken a particular interest in Climate Change. The reality is that, unbeknown to you. I really should not waste my time as you are giving nothing to back up why your opinion is superior to people whose job it is to know, but here is Forbes for you

Record Drought In Italy’s Po Valley Threatens Water Supplies And Food Production​

The Po Valley is the most important agricultural zone in the country. It produces some 40% of Italy’s food including wheat, tomatoes and grapes. The Italian Farmers Confederation has warned there will be a 30-40% reduction in yields of fruit and vegetables in the Po Valley as a result of the anomalous situation.

Record Drought In Italy’s Po Valley Threatens Water Supplies And Food Production

I suggest you now read the quote in the OP that I c and p into my reply to you.

This is surely not a good news when the UN has already been warning that there is likely to be famine this year.

Heatwaves throughout Europe causing fires and drought.

Spain has been one of the hardest hit countries, Spain is now experiencing temperatures of 40 degrees C and fires and drought.

Hundreds of people have been forced from their homes and tens of thousands of acres have been burned through by wildfires across Spain, with global climate experts warning that nearly the entire country is at risk of facing the flames.

"Nearly all the country faces extreme fire risk Friday as a result of the heatwave and drought" Spain and much of Europe is experiencing, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) reported Friday, noting that a Saharan dust cloud that's drifted north toward the continent may also have an impact on public health.

Roughly 61,000 acres of land in the northwestern province of Zamora had been destroyed by the wildfires as of Sunday and several Spanish cities reported temperatures topping 104°F in recent days.

At least 18 villages have been evacuated in Zamora, where a lightning storm reportedly started the wildfires last Wednesday.

Experts say extreme heat and drought, which have both been linked to the human-caused climate crisis, are causing the fires to spread rapidly. The country's drought has stretched on for several months, with officials saying in March that Spain's reservoirs were at just over 44% capacity—the lowest level since 1995.
European observers said the extreme weather facing Spain and other European countries are the consequences of continued fossil fuel extraction and will continue unless global policymakers ensure carbon emissions are rapidly drawn down.

This is a major problem for a world population that is increasing massively.

We only have a certain amount of water. China has water problems, especially in the North East of the country. The US has water problems in the South West. The more we use water for food, irrigation, drinking, bathing etc, the more problems we're having.

What is the maximum number of people on this planet before it descends into loads of wars in order to cull the population of the world?

This is the markets answer to the water crisis. Is there any reason that water should not be re-nationalised. Private water is just a scam to move public assets into the private sector.

Of course climate change is a hoax.These people remind me of Canute trying to turn back the waves. They will be denying it as the flames lick up their legs.
Right Commie....I will fly over in my private jet and collect more taxes from you to save the planet. God has nothing to o with it nor does the sun, just man.

Some months on now and we can see the Italy's rivers are doing a lot worse

Similar stories have come in about Rivers in France and Germany and even in the East of England though I think not yet so bad.

These idiots who will not accept climate change are determined to destroy the world. In the meantime I am wondering how long it will be till the people of Europe do not have enough to drink. On one video maybe this one a woman was talking about how we would need to learn from India where you maybe get a couple of hours water every month.....and a massive amount of the West of the United states is headed for the same problem. A very wet year in 2003 may give us another chance. Another dry one very concerning.

Some months on now and we can see the Italy's rivers are doing a lot worse

Similar stories have come in about Rivers in France and Germany and even in the East of England though I think not yet so bad.

These idiots who will not accept climate change are determined to destroy the world. In the meantime I am wondering how long it will be till the people of Europe do not have enough to drink. On one video maybe this one a woman was talking about how we would need to learn from India where you maybe get a couple of hours water every month.....and a massive amount of the West of the United states is headed for the same problem. A very wet year in 2003 may give us another chance. Another dry one very concerning.

That's right, and paying lots of tax dollars to Dimmer politicians will have those rivers flowing again soon, right?

That's right, and paying lots of tax dollars to Dimmer politicians will have those rivers flowing again soon, right?
If you are talking about doing things to stop the obvious climate change before you and yours are having to fight for everything you need then we have already passed the time when we could carry on with life as we know it having made necessary changes. Regardless of what happens in the instance of these rivers, if we are still using the same amount of fossil fuel in 7 or 8 years, then according to the IPCC we will no longer be able to avoid the worst of climate change. Your choice. Governments are not keen on doing the necessary. They appear to just be interested in getting elected again. Money wise the US like the UK is headed for a recession and on going inflation. I am guessing it is what is called 'the race to the bottom' and inside that people have to find a way to make sure there is a world for the children born today.

If you are talking about doing things to stop the obvious climate change before you and yours are having to fight for everything you need then we have already passed the time when we could carry on with life as we know it having made necessary changes. Regardless of what happens in the instance of these rivers, if we are still using the same amount of fossil fuel in 7 or 8 years, then according to the IPCC we will no longer be able to avoid the worst of climate change. Your choice. Governments are not keen on doing the necessary. They appear to just be interested in getting elected again. Money wise the US like the UK is headed for a recession and on going inflation. I am guessing it is what is called 'the race to the bottom' and inside that people have to find a way to make sure there is a world for the children born today.

The arrogance of the Gaia cult is amusing, yet chilling.

You honestly think that as long as the masses give up their wealth and standard of living, submitting to absolute rule by the elite that it will appease your two-bit goddess and change the climate?

You anti-science morons are something else.

I'm going to let you in on a secret: The Earth is 4.7 billion years old. The only constant to the climate in all that time is "change," and peasants being allowed to eat well and live in air conditioned homes had not a fucking thing to do with it.

The arrogance of the Gaia cult is amusing, yet chilling.

You honestly think that as long as the masses give up their wealth and standard of living, submitting to absolute rule by the elite that it will appease your two-bit goddess and change the climate?

You anti-science morons are something else.

I'm going to let you in on a secret: The Earth is 4.7 billion years old. The only constant to the climate in all that time is "change," and peasants being allowed to eat well and live in air conditioned homes had not a fucking thing to do with it.
you are the people with the teeny bobber minds who do the jobs of the fossil fuel people. Probably the aspect of human beings which will lead to their extinction as shown in your post above is greed. You deny scientists all of whom know where we are headed, in your isolated non caring, unconnected situation believing your are superior. Talk about being psychotic. I won't answer any more of your psychotic money churning pasts. Money more important than human life. God help us.

you are the people with the teeny bobber minds who do the jobs of the fossil fuel people. Probably the aspect of human beings which will lead to their extinction as shown in your post above is greed. You deny scientists all of whom know where we are headed, in your isolated non caring, unconnected situation believing your are superior. Talk about being psychotic. I won't answer any more of your psychotic money churning pasts. Money more important than human life. God help us.

First off retard, I AM a scientist - a real one, not an astrologer or climatologist. You're just a moron in a doomsday cult who thinks Gaia is punishing us for our carbon sins. Ever notice how EVERY demand made by your shamans and voodoo priests involve taking the liberty and wealth from the peasants?

Tell me retard, if your religion is true, why is it that Barack Obama - one of the faithful, used the bribes from Iran and China to build TWO ocean front estates? According to your faith, the oceans are going to rise and destroy his opulent mansions. Why wouldn't he build on higher ground..

Unless he knows something you don't and is just spewing the Gaia cult idiocy to manipulate the stupid - those like you?

Run along now retard, I'm done spanking your ignorant ass.

I'm in my 50's in the UK. In my lifetime, it's always been too wet, then too dry, then too wet etc..

But for some reason, it's now big news and we did that.

Forum List

Back