Was there a leftist army in the US?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
During the Vietnam events, Ali refused to serve, and in general, from this story, one can understand that the recruitment was then forced. Was it introduced by Kennedy or was it before him? When did the US military become fully professional(without forced recruitment of soldiers)?

During the Vietnam events, Ali refused to serve, and in general, from this story, one can understand that the recruitment was then forced. Was it introduced by Kennedy or was it before him? When did the US military become fully professional(without forced recruitment of soldiers)?
'the draft' gets instituted whenever there's a real need for it.
young working-class men are forced into war whenever there's a real need for it.

such is life.
c'est la vie.

• Banned
'the draft' gets instituted whenever there's a real need for it.
young working-class men are forced into war whenever there's a real need for it.

such is life.
c'est la vie.

It appears to be misinformation. So far, I have found information that Nixon created a project for a volunteer army, and approximately since then, universal service has been abolished.

This needs to be clarified, but in general it seems that this is exactly the case.

I did mention your paranoia earlier.
Would you like the name of a comfortable asylum with padded walls?

• Banned
I found the correct information. In 1970, President Richard Nixon announced his intention to end the draft system, and in 1974 there were no more conscripts in the US military.
The only question now is when and by whom the system of general conscription was introduced.

• Banned
It's fucking amazing that Americans themselves don't know.

It appears to be misinformation. So far, I have found information that Nixon created a project for a volunteer army, and approximately since then, universal service has been abolished.

This needs to be clarified, but in general it seems that this is exactly the case.
yes, it's true that a volunteer-army is a relatively new idea in statecraft (how governments organize their populations).
(when you only look at the past 120 years to 300 years or so, the times of the major wars in Europe and then in the whole world).

but that doesn't mean that 'the draft' will never be re-instituted. desperate times still call for desperate measures. that will never change, i think

• Banned
yes, it's true that a volunteer-army is a relatively new idea in statecraft (how governments organize their populations).
(when you only look at the past 120 years to 300 years or so, the times of the major wars in Europe and then in the whole world).

but that doesn't mean that 'the draft' will never be re-instituted. desperate times still call for desperate measures. that will never change, i think
This is not a new system. The right world has always been a professional military, since the Aryans of the Bronze Age.

Knights system was professional. The Austro-Hungarian army was professional, the Cossacks were professional, even Hitler's SS was professional (unlike the Prussian Wehrmacht).

I don't care if they tie him up like a dog. He's an idiot.
You are just an idiot, all idiots are stupid as a log, not all crazy people are as stupid as you are. If you're in a psychiatric dispensary, you won't have to be tied up, because you're a dumb vegetable who's only dangerous because he smears things with dangling saliva.

They bind not autists like you, but violent ones.

I found the correct information. In 1970, President Richard Nixon announced his intention to end the draft system, and in 1974 there were no more conscripts in the US military.
The only question now is when and by whom the system of general conscription was introduced.

We have the Selective Service, which is simply getting the names and making a database in case a draft is needed.

No draft because there is no need.

We have the Selective Service, which is simply getting the names and making a database in case a draft is needed.

No draft because there is no need.
We are apparently talking about the accounting system introduced in the 80th, in case of an emergency. But there is no direct military duty, it is not written anywhere.

Having a Selective Service number of 32, I was called in to take my physical for the draft in 1973 but it ended before I was inducted.
There`s a convoy heading to D.C. and I think they`re going to protest the Vietnam War or something. They`re not sure. :dunno:

No matter how small the US has had a professional Military since 1775 at times it has been bolstered by conscription's and drafts.

"The recruitment was forced"? You aren't from around here are you rupol? We called it the "Draft" and it was in effect since Woodie Wilson's war. Elvis served in the Army and so did most of the Hollywood and sports stars during WW2. It wasn't about Vietnam. Ali could have served the Country, that gave him so much, in a non-combat capacity but he was a coward and/or a greedy capitalist who didn't want to interrupt a lucrative career.

Uh, the USA used a volunteer army for most of its history. There was a draft during the civil war, the First World War, and from 1940 to 1974 or so. The draft is a relatively rare occurrence.

"The recruitment was forced"? You aren't from around here are you rupol? We called it the "Draft" and it was in effect since Woodie Wilson's war. Elvis served in the Army and so did most of the Hollywood and sports stars during WW2. It wasn't about Vietnam. Ali could have served the Country, that gave him so much, in a non-combat capacity but he was a coward and/or a greedy capitalist who didn't want to interrupt a lucrative career.
I think Ali had a genuine problem with military service. He was willing to go to jail over his opposition. He was convicted and sentenced to five years in prison, fined ten thousand dollars and had his heavyweight champion title revoked. He never had to go to jail, but was willing to. He’s the kind of draft evader I respect; one willing to pay for his convictions.

I think Ali had a genuine problem with military service. He was willing to go to jail over his opposition. He was convicted and sentenced to five years in prison, fined ten thousand dollars and had his heavyweight champion title revoked. He never had to go to jail, but was willing to. He’s the kind of draft evader I respect; one willing to pay for his convictions.

I agree. I also like that the US Supreme Court overturned his conviction.

Forum List

Back