War & Zelensky

Zelensky is walking a tightrope.

He can't appear too weak or Russians will invade and his people will turn against him

He also can't appear too beligerant lest he give Putin the excuse he's looking for to invade.

What people need to realize is that Ukraine IS armed and they have an experienced military. They've been fighting Russian aggressors for nearly a decade.

Russia got themselves a bloody nose in Chechnya. Putin can't really afford to have that happen again
Do you think Ukraine can at least make it tough for them?

The Crimean people who are essentially Russians, voted to return to Russia after O’s coup in Ukraine.

NATO needs to be dissolved. It’s a Cold War relic and nothing less than a provocative war making entity.

Funny how so many Americans like you think Putin wants to impose his will about he world, yet you ignore who is really doing this. The good old USA.
I am not an American. I am one of those East Europeans who want to tell Russia to get the fuck out.

they might be from russia, but they are living in a foreign country. just because russians moved to ukraine doesn’t give putin the right to take it
It was a Russian region all along with almost no Ukrainians. What are you blabbering about, genius?

Do you think Ukraine can at least make it tough for them?
Yup. And so does Putin or he would have invaded already

Russia has a bit of history of getting smacked around in small wars

Japan
Finland
Chechnya
Afghanistan

Putin can’t afford that kind of debacle

I am not an American. I am one of those East Europeans who want to tell Russia to get the fuck out.
Good for you. Go ahead an do that, but know the USA isn’t coming to your rescue.

Missed my point.
I don’t think so. The fundamental premise is that we were interfering in Ukraine to draw them away from Russian influence. That’s not the case. Ukraine is choosing to move away from Russian influence and the reason isn’t mysterious.

Attacking US policy of helping a country emerge from corrupt influence of an authoritarian state betrays the fundamental values of our country.

Good for you. Go ahead an do that, but know the USA isn’t coming to your rescue.
Okay, anyway I don't expect American or other Western countries' troops to fight for the country I live in.

they might be from russia, but they are living in a foreign country. just because russians moved to ukraine doesn’t give putin the right to take it
You do realize that Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union until it dissolved. Right? They lived there for a long time.

Do you think those Russians in Ukraine had input on where the new border would be?

Using that logic, we should never hear a peep out of the Palestinians living on the West Bank and in the Gaza Strip.

You do realize that Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union until it dissolved. Right? They lived there for a long time.

Do you think those Russians in Ukraine had input on where the new border would be?

Using that logic, we should never hear a peep out of the Palestinians living on the West Bank and in the Gaza Strip.
Ummm...you got that backwards

The USSR was not Russia. Russia was a country and is a country that existed before the USSR, just like Ukraine was a country before the USSR.

The USSR was not Russia. Russia was a country and is a country that existed before the USSR, just like Ukraine was a country before the USSR.
During the 1930's, Russification of Ukraine became the goal. Nikitia Khrushchev (remember that guy?) was a Russian sent by Stalin to run the Ukrainian SRR. Tell me again that there were no Russians in Ukraine!

During the 1930's, Russification of Ukraine became the goal. Nikitia Khrushchev (remember that guy?) was a Russian sent by Stalin to run the Ukrainian SRR. Tell me again that there were no Russians in Ukraine!
i didn’t say there weren’t…but fail to see how that’s relevant

there were mexicans in california and french in canada…does france have the right to go invade canada and take it back?

does Spain get florida?

your point makes absolutely no sense

Sure it does. It prevents war.

Munich did exactly what it was supposed to do. It avoided an unwinnable war over Czechoslovakia.

Then the British gave the Polish Colonels a blank check, and we had a war.
It didn't prevent jack shit...lol

Just for the record, this thread has zero (0) to do with American partisan politics, so perhaps we can have an interesting discussion.

Do we have anyone here who is up on Ukraine and its overall politics? From what I've seen, Zelensky is taking a pretty independent stance, in between Russia and US and its allies.

While everyone else appears to be waiting for the first bombs to drop, Zelensky remains defiant and doesn't appear to think war is imminent. He also seems to think that his job is pretty secure. If he's sweating, he sure doesn't seem to be showing it.

Any guesses about his strategy?

>>>>>> Facing maximum pressure from Russia, Zelensky refuses to blink at the negotiating table
He has to put on that face publicly. As Putin's propaganda is based completely.on the lie that Russia is merely preparing a defense of an imminent NATO and Ukranian attack, Zelensky must not legitimize that lie in any way.

Behind the scenes, Zelensky is getting mitary assistance and assurances from western allies.

Zelensky sees the writing on the wall, just like everyone else.

i didn’t say there weren’t…but fail to see how that’s relevant

there were mexicans in california and french in canada…does france have the right to go invade canada and take it back?

does Spain get florida?

your point makes absolutely no sense
You said:

"Cool, but they aren't Russians...they aren't in Russia."

Do you wish to withdraw your previous statement in error?

Forum List

Back