Wanna See Something Really Scary ...... JTS M12 AK Shotgun

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I went to my LGS the other day and asked if they had anything new and they said that they put me back something if I wanted to mess with it because the guy who brought it in said it would not work......A Chi-Com made M12 AK-style shotgun.

ak 002 (2).JPG

Years a go I had a Veper that kept choking on me so I've shied away from the type since....BUT I like a challenge so I gave them $150.00 for it and took it home.....You can get them for around $350.00 retail.

So I take it home and looked on You Tube for some info and found a guy that did three very informative videos on it.

Well the very first thing I noticed was that the 4-postion gas block was set at 0.....Well shit, no wonder it did not work. I suspect that since the number 2 was above it the former owner thought that was the setting when in fact the gas system had been shut off.....There is a small arrow that points to the gas setting under the knob and that is how you are supposed to position the setting.....I put a dab of red paint there.....I used the 2 setting.

ak 003 (2).JPG

I the took it all apart, did a "fluff-n-buff", honed the rails, put it back together, and took it to my range with a assortment of shells.

Shit, it ran like a stripped-ass ape with everything I fed it....No failures....Way too much fun. :)

It uses Rem-Chokes (the factory one is Imp-Cyl) and patterned well with 00-buck. I used a old 4-MOA Bushnell Trophy Red dot on it as I've had good luck with them on shotguns....I got lucky, I laser sighted it in at home and just barely had to move it at my range.

When i got back home I went ahead and pulled the stock hardware and painted it OD green with a matt clear coat.....It was way too much black to suit me. ;)

It's a heavy bitch at 11 pounds loaded as pictured so the recoil is easily manageable. It might be OK for static defense but you are better served with a traditional shotgun for "bumps in the night" than the AK on steroids....Lots of fun though.

Here's one of the guy I mentioned vids.....He's easy to listen to.

I went to my LGS the other day and asked if they had anything new and they said that they put me back something if I wanted to mess with it because the guy who brought it in said it would not work......A Chi-Com made M12 AK-style shotgun.

View attachment 660445

Years a go I had a Veper that kept choking on me so I've shied away from the type since....BUT I like a challenge so I gave them $150.00 for it and took it home.....You can get them for around $350.00 retail.

So I take it home and looked on You Tube for some info and found a guy that did three very informative videos on it.

Well the very first thing I noticed was that the 4-postion gas block was set at 0.....Well shit, no wonder it did not work. I suspect that since the number 2 was above it the former owner thought that was the setting when in fact the gas system had been shut off.....There is a small arrow that points to the gas setting under the knob and that is how you are supposed to position the setting.....I put a dab of red paint there.....I used the 2 setting.

View attachment 660450

I the took it all apart, did a "fluff-n-buff", honed the rails, put it back together, and took it to my range with a assortment of shells.

Shit, it ran like a stripped-ass ape with everything I fed it....No failures....Way too much fun. :)

It uses Rem-Chokes (the factory one is Imp-Cyl) and patterned well with 00-buck. I used a old 4-MOA Bushnell Trophy Red dot on it as I've had good luck with them on shotguns....I got lucky, I laser sighted it in at home and just barely had to move it at my range.

When i got back home I went ahead and pulled the stock hardware and painted it OD green with a matt clear coat.....It was way too much black to suit me. ;)

It's a heavy bitch at 11 pounds loaded as pictured so the recoil is easily manageable. It might be OK for static defense but you are better served with a traditional shotgun for "bumps in the night" than the AK on steroids....Lots of fun though.

Here's one of the guy I mentioned vids.....He's easy to listen to.

That is way cool! You got better gun shops over your way, and keep closer relations. Sounds perfect for bumps in the night, to me. Still not comfortable with it, or quirks you didn't describe?

That is way cool! You got better gun shops over your way, and keep closer relations. Sounds perfect for bumps in the night, to me. Still not comfortable with it, or quirks you didn't describe?
The knock is weight and overall size but I'd like to stamp it and lop the barrel to 13.5"....Then you might really have something if it still runs with the shorter barrel. Sorta like this Veper.

R.a9dfa1f1e166a93f2e06774dd834507d

As it is I'd rather use my Rhodesian Auto-5.....Plus it makes for a nice bat when empty. ;)

R.3ca96d0e83d6bc3412ab79c63e8d85a2

The knock is weight and overall size but I'd like to stamp it and lop the barrel to 13.5"....Then you might really have something if it still runs with the shorter barrel. Sorta like this Veper.

R.a9dfa1f1e166a93f2e06774dd834507d

As it is I'd rather use my Rhodesian Auto-5.....Plus it makes for a nice bat when empty. ;)

R.3ca96d0e83d6bc3412ab79c63e8d85a2
I'd leave as is. I have never favored sawed offs, as I was more of a hunter than one kicking in doors, though had the training. As for your Auto-5 (damn, you've got good taste weaponry) being better as a club when empty, the magazine on the M12AK makes it a heck of a lot faster reload than the Auto. I was trained on riot baton (short stroke, long stroke and but stroke) the standard mil spec M16 was quite effective (only to be used empty no mag, as bad form to get shot with your own weapon) so I suspect your M12AK would be just fine.
One thing bothered me about the machining of your M12AK in the closeup, that being the wear and micro-pitting of the metal. I don't know the age of the weapon. Am I judging harshly?

I'd leave as is. I have never favored sawed offs, as I was more of a hunter than one kicking in doors, though had the training. As for your Auto-5 (damn, you've got good taste weaponry) being better as a club when empty, the magazine on the M12AK makes it a heck of a lot faster reload than the Auto. I was trained on riot baton (short stroke, long stroke and but stroke) the standard mil spec M16 was quite effective (only to be used empty no mag, as bad form to get shot with your own weapon) so I suspect your M12AK would be just fine.
One thing bothered me about the machining of your M12AK in the closeup, that being the wear and micro-pitting of the metal. I don't know the age of the weapon. Am I judging harshly?
It's just typical chi-com AK....As for the "wear" that was likely me after the "fluff-n-buff". If you know what you are about you can decrease or even eliminate the break-in period.

Of course I don't know how many rounds were shot though it before I got it but I don't suspect too many since the gas system was shut off and frustration set in.

By and by I'll pull the bolt, remove the finish and polish both it and the gas rod.

I suspect that the weapon was bought during the BLM/ANTIFA "panic" and the buyer did no know how it worked.....Hell there was still the heavy shipping oil inside of it.....In fact the gas system was a goo of burnt powder and shipping oil but it cleaned-up fine.

It's just typical chi-com AK....As for the "wear" that was likely me after the "fluff-n-buff". If you know what you are about you can decrease or even eliminate the break-in period.

Of course I don't know how many rounds were shot though it before I got it but I don't suspect too many since the gas system was shut off and frustration set in.

By and by I'll pull the bolt, remove the finish and polish both it and the gas rod.

I suspect that the weapon was bought during the BLM/ANTIFA "panic" and the buyer did no know how it worked.....Hell there was still the heavy shipping oil inside of it.....In fact the gas system was a goo of burnt powder and shipping oil but it cleaned-up fine.
Was it even capable of more than single shot when you first picked it up, with gas system cut down to zero? Other than the noted pitting, overall the weapon looked factory fresh and made me wonder if wear, might be expected and high gas settings, might not be a planned cure for worn rings and fittings, to maintain enough gas pressure for proper hull ejection and chambering.
Remember, I trained people on use and implementation not maintenance (even in enlisted years) and have only built one semi-automatic in my whole life.

Was it even capable of more than single shot when you first picked it up, with gas system cut down to zero? Other than the noted pitting, overall the weapon looked factory fresh and made me wonder if wear, might be expected and high gas settings, might not be a planned cure for worn rings and fittings, to maintain enough gas pressure for proper hull ejection and chambering.
Remember, I trained people on use and implementation not maintenance (even in enlisted years) and have only built one semi-automatic in my whole life.
No, with the gas system turned off it would not cycle.....At best you would get a stovepipe situation.

No, with the gas system turned off it would not cycle.....At best you would get a stovepipe situation.
So zero setting was not a factory setting allowing enough gas for operation when brand new. Makes me wonder why they had a zero setting at all, if it precluded proper cycling from the beginning.

So zero setting was not a factory setting allowing enough gas for operation when brand new. Makes me wonder why they had a zero setting at all, if it precluded proper cycling from the beginning.
Can't say but most adjustable gas systems have a 0 setting.

LOL....It's not like you would be launching grenades with it. ;)

Got a gas system on my 12ga Bailkai MP153. It was not on 0 and never had to change it. 2 3/4 trap loads (actually use my 20 SxS baikal for trap) to 3 1/2 mags cycle fine. Been a fine shotty.

pix541899631.jpg

Got a gas system on my 12ga Bailkai MP153. It was not on 0 and never had to change it. 2 3/4 trap loads (actually use my 20 SxS Baikal for trap) to 3 1/2 mags cycle fine. Been a fine shotty.

pix541899631.jpg
I actually saw a broken single-trigger Baikal O/U 12 ga the other day a guy took into the gunsmith.....It would not cock. I could not believe it as they are pretty much bullet-proof.

I damn near bought one of their single-shot rifles the other day ( IZH18MN...made for Remington) but it was in .270 and I did not want to add another caliber to the stable.

wm_1680749.jpg

I actually saw a broken single-trigger Baikal O/U 12 ga the other day a guy took into the gunsmith.....It would not cock. I could not believe it as they are pretty much bullet-proof.

I damn near bought one of their single-shot rifles the other day ( IZH18MN...made for Remington) but it was in .270 and I did not want to add another caliber to the stable.

wm_1680749.jpg
.270 is one of the best calibers ever. I would want a BAR tier III in .270, or at least a Savage, though.

Remington, too.

Forum List

Back