1923 L. C. Smith Trap Grade 12 ga Double-Barrel Shotgun

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I found this L.C. Smith/Hunter's Arms Trap Grade shotgun today.....I gave $300.00 for it.

It came with a very nice Boyt "leg-o-lamb" fitted case and a 3-jointed wooden/brass cleaning rod.

Sadly it was missing it's butt-plate but I stuck one on there till I can get a replacement shipped-in. It's very tight and works fine.

It was also missing the front bead but I removed the remnants of the bead shank and replaced it with a on-hand bead.

I've no idea yet when it was manufactured but the guys over on Shotgun World will figure it out for me. I figure it's a 20s or 30s era gun.....Edit: Made in 1923.

lc 011 (2).JPG

lc 012 (2).JPG

lc 005 (2).JPG

lc 006 (2).JPG

It has what is called a Hunter-One Trigger.

lc 007 (2).JPG

Info:

Production of the Trap Grade began in 1912. The 1913 catalog stated "In the production of this grade particular attention has been paid to meet the requirements of sportsmen who are desirous of a gun for trap shooting, as well as for field, with all of the latest attachments - Hunter One-Trigger and Automatic Ejector especially - and at a very low price.

Each lock-plate is engraved with a trap shooting scene consisting of a trap house and a squad of five shooters at the score.

We can confidently recommend this grade as entirely satisfactory, especially for the purpose the name implies. With our special system of boring, no better guns are made for trap than the L.C. Smith Double Gun with Hunter One-Trigger."

The price with two triggers in 1913 was $55, and a Hunter One-Trigger brought the price up to $75. Ejectors added $11 to the price, and $86 would buy the gun with both ejectors and the Hunter One-Trigger. The base price of this grade increased to $77 by the time that it was discontinued in 1940.

A total of 3,346 Trap Grade shotguns were built. Production data are 12 10-gauge, 2,700 12-gauge, 282 16-gauge, 348 20-gauge, and 4 .410 with automatic ejectors being placed on 2,310 guns.

The American walnut stock was available in full pistol, half pistol, and straight grips. Barrels were usually made from Crown Steel. Damascus Steel was available as an option up to 1917.

Barrel lengths were 26, 28, 30, and 32 inches. However, a few other lengths were manufactured. The right barrel was roll-stamped L.C. SMITH TRAP GRADE, and the left barrel was stamped HUNTER ARMS CO. INC. M'F'R'S FULTON N.Y.

Last edited:
I found this L.C. Smith/Hunter's Arms Trap Grade shotgun today.....I gave $300.00 for it.

It came with a very nice Boyt "leg-o-lamb" fitted case and a 3-jointed wooden/brass cleaning rod.

Sadly it was missing it's butt-plate but I stuck one on there till I can get a replacement shipped-in. It's very tight and works fine.

It was also missing the front bead but I removed the remnants of the bead shank and replaced it with a on-hand bead.

I've no idea yet when it was manufactured but the guys over on Shotgun World will figure it out for me. I figure it's a 20s or 30s era gun.....Edit: Made in 1923.

View attachment 861900

View attachment 861901

View attachment 861902

View attachment 861903

It has what is called a Hunter-One Trigger.

View attachment 861904

Info:

Production of the Trap Grade began in 1912. The 1913 catalog stated "In the production of this grade particular attention has been paid to meet the requirements of sportsmen who are desirous of a gun for trap shooting, as well as for field, with all of the latest attachments - Hunter One-Trigger and Automatic Ejector especially - and at a very low price.

Each lock-plate is engraved with a trap shooting scene consisting of a trap house and a squad of five shooters at the score.

We can confidently recommend this grade as entirely satisfactory, especially for the purpose the name implies. With our special system of boring, no better guns are made for trap than the L.C. Smith Double Gun with Hunter One-Trigger."

The price with two triggers in 1913 was $55, and a Hunter One-Trigger brought the price up to $75. Ejectors added $11 to the price, and $86 would buy the gun with both ejectors and the Hunter One-Trigger. The base price of this grade increased to $77 by the time that it was discontinued in 1940.

A total of 3,346 Trap Grade shotguns were built. Production data are 12 10-gauge, 2,700 12-gauge, 282 16-gauge, 348 20-gauge, and 4 .410 with automatic ejectors being placed on 2,310 guns.

The American walnut stock was available in full pistol, half pistol, and straight grips. Barrels were usually made from Crown Steel. Damascus Steel was available as an option up to 1917.

Barrel lengths were 26, 28, 30, and 32 inches. However, a few other lengths were manufactured. The right barrel was roll-stamped L.C. SMITH TRAP GRADE, and the left barrel was stamped HUNTER ARMS CO. INC. M'F'R'S FULTON N.Y.
Wow....that's exactly what I was looking for last month.

Nice gun! I inherited a nice Winchester Model 42 410 pump last year from an uncle and my Dad has his grandfathers Model 97 Winchester I will have someday.

Wow....that's exactly what I was looking for last month.
I was not expecting it. A customer walked into the gun shop I was at this morning with a decent 1862-ish S&W #2 Army in .32 Rimfire, a 1861 Savage Navy in .36 cal in mostly relic condition, a couple of 1800s powder flasks and the shotgun.

S&W #2

300px-Smith_%26_Wesson_No2.JPG

Savage Navy

300px-Savage_Navy_Revolver.jpg

The shop owner had no interest in the shotgun so he bought everything for $600.00 and sold the shotgun to me.

The S&W was pretty neat as it had it's original holster with it.....I figure he will put $650.00 just on that one.

Forum List

Back