Walmart Doing Away With Cashiers

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I rarely ever set foot in a Walmart, but I went into one the other day because of convenience. They no longer have any cashiers left. The entire check out line has been converted to self check out. Apparently, this is being done all over the country because a friend of mine in Ohio just posted about it on social media.

Here is the result of your $15 an hour for unskilled labor. Enjoy.

This happened in my Walmart years ago, before Covid. :lol:

But please continue your fake outrage, borne of ignorance.

Neither the OP or anything at his link mentions Covid.

It's being done because it's cheaper to have machines that customers can use to check themselves out with than it is to pay a cashier the ridiculous salary they demand...

Neither the OP or anything at his link mentions Covid.

It's being done because it's cheaper to have machines that customers can use to check themselves out with than it is to pay a cashier the ridiculous salary they demand...

You pay them a wage they can live on or you pay higher taxes to cover the check they will get for not doing anything.

There are a lot of places doing this these days. Most in my area haven’t gone completely cashier-free, but they’re close to it.

I’ve made it very clear to managers at Big Y, Walmart, Home Depot, and BJs that if/when I stop being able to use a cashier, they will no longer see me in their store, even if it costs me more money to go elsewhere.

You can't pay a person more than they add in value to the finished product or service without going out of business or raising prices.

Well then you can pay more in taxes to pay them to do nothing.

Not if you cut off social welfare after a period of time.

These jobs aren't meant to be careers, they are meant to be stepping stones to better paying jobs.

Just because you dream of being a lazy fuck during your life doesn't mean I should pay for it.

They used to be jobs not designed to be careers but we have sent so many of those jobs that were intended to be overseas so you can face realities or go with theories.

I rarely ever set foot in a Walmart, but I went into one the other day because of convenience. They no longer have any cashiers left. The entire check out line has been converted to self check out. Apparently, this is being done all over the country because a friend of mine in Ohio just posted about it on social media.

Here is the result of your $15 an hour for unskilled labor. Enjoy.

They've done it in most Wallyworlds in this area. But it is backfiring. They are having to staff nearly as many people to assist as they used for cashiers. In addition, the algorithms have a tendency to slow things down for the customer in a number of ways. Customers are beginning to balk at paying ever increasing prices only to get less service. Add these to the fact that it makes shoplifting easier and they have had to start having employees check receipts as people leave, and they are gaining nothing. I ignore the receipt checkers--If they are going to accuse me of being a thief, just be up front with it and I'll take the legal action necessary for false accusation.

They used to be jobs not designed to be careers but we have sent so many of those jobs that were intended to be overseas so you can face realities or go with theories.
Minimum wage jobs were never designed to be careers.

Happening in Canada too, but they have saved one cashier and placed the till far down the aisle in a dark corner.
Maybe Walmart isn't viable even with cheap labour anymore?

Forum List

Back