Walgreens Won't take MEDICARE after...............

It's Beginning Already!!

Walgreens: no new Medicaid patients as of April 16 in Washington state

And they won't be the last to screw over those who have MEDICAID NOW., How many others? Doctors, Pharmacies, where does it end?

Local News | Walgreens: no new Medicaid patients as of April 16 | Seattle Times Newspaper

This has nothing to do with health care reform. It's an ongoing issue, as your link acknowledges, having to do with the amounts of medicaid reimbursement.

And if you DO actually read, you'd know that they aren't doing ANYTHING to people who have MEDICAID NOW. They aren't accepting NEW Medicaid patients.

perhaps its time to un-do what the last admin did and get rid of whatever it is that keeps medicaid/medicare from negotiating price with the pharmaceutical companies.

The title of your thread is misleading...am I missing something?

You mention Walmart in the title, and Walgreens in the post.

And you mention Medicare in the title, and Medicaid in the post.

Yes I typo'd the name Walgreens for 'the other', sorry for the momentary attack of the 'stupids'.
Think I'll go back to bed and get up later. :)

Hey, we all make mistakes. I mean, W was elected to two terms, wasn't he?

Your parents gave birth at least once...

Sounds more like the drug companies are screwing people, but don't let your blinders get in your way.
Washington was reimbursing pharmacies 86 percent of the average wholesale price until July, when it began paying just 84 percent. DSHS estimated that could save the state about $10 million.

A company that calculates the average wholesale price was accused in a Massachusetts lawsuit of fraudulently inflating its figures. In a September settlement, the company did not acknowledge wrongdoing but agreed to reduce its figures by about 4 percent.

Walgreens said many private insurance providers have adjusted their reimbursement rates to lessen the effect of the settlement, but Washington's Medicaid program has not.
Walgreens cuts off new Medicaid patients in Washington state, citing reimbursement rates | OregonLive.com

Not really because there was no obligation for walgreens to take care of them. I know you think that everyone should take care of you but but they are not. Companies are not obligated to you beyond what they agreed to give you. In fact, no one is obligated to you beyond what they agree to give you. Without that agreement you can't claim anyone is screwing you over at any time.

Last edited:
Sounds more like the drug companies are screwing people, but don't let your blinders get in your way.
Washington was reimbursing pharmacies 86 percent of the average wholesale price until July, when it began paying just 84 percent. DSHS estimated that could save the state about $10 million.

A company that calculates the average wholesale price was accused in a Massachusetts lawsuit of fraudulently inflating its figures. In a September settlement, the company did not acknowledge wrongdoing but agreed to reduce its figures by about 4 percent.

Walgreens said many private insurance providers have adjusted their reimbursement rates to lessen the effect of the settlement, but Washington's Medicaid program has not.
Walgreens cuts off new Medicaid patients in Washington state, citing reimbursement rates | OregonLive.com

Not really because there was no obligation for walgreens to take care of them. I know you think that everyone should take care of you but but they are not. Companies are not obligated to you beyond what they agreed to give you. In fact, no one is obligated to you beyond what they agree to give you. Without that agreement you can't claim anyone is screwing you over at any time.
What does that have to do with what I posted?

This is actually a very interesting story. It's the negative impact of government price control in miniature.

Here's Ed Morrissey's take. Read the whole post. He does an excellent job of using this little microcosm to explain why government interference in the matter of price always ends in market failure. Bear in mind that we're already seeing this effect in the cost of our healthcare because government is the payer for almost half our citizens. :eek:

Excerpt:
The reimbursement policy comes from an impulse to control costs by controlling prices. This shows the inevitable result of such policies. When price controls get used, they do nothing to reduce actual costs for providers. The drugs cost Walgreens the same amount to buy for Medicaid patients as they do for everyone else. Instead of lowering the actual cost, it pushes Walgreens to either hike prices for everyone else or to remove themselves from the marketplace, causing scarcities in the provider chain. Either Walgreens and Bartell have to make their other customers subsidize their losses, or they have to stop conducting money-losing business.

(more...)

Hot Air Blog Archive Walgreens says no to new WA Medicaid customers

It's Beginning Already!!

And they won't be the last to screw over those who have MEDICAID NOW., How many others? Doctors, Pharmacies, where does it end?

Local News | Walgreens: no new Medicaid patients as of April 16 | Seattle Times Newspaper

Medicaid and medicare are different things.

I knew I did not like Walgreens for some reason.

btw 2 new drug stores have opened in my town in the last year.
That brings the total counting Krogers, wal mart and K mart to about 10 for a town of 15,000.

Perhaps they overexpand too much?

Last edited:
The title of your thread is misleading...am I missing something?

You mention Walmart in the title, and Walgreens in the post.

And you mention Medicare in the title, and Medicaid in the post.

Yeah, it was misleading in fact, I looked it up as soon as I read the title because I hadn't heard anything about Walgreen's dumping medicare.

It's Medicaid they are dumping and it won't be long until they dump medicare. For all you liberals who just can't wait for the government to take over health care. Guess who runs both medicaid and medicare???? Answer- the government.:lol::lo

Effective April 16, Walgreens drugstores across the state won't take any new Medicaid patients, saying that filling their prescriptions is a money-losing proposition — the latest development in an ongoing dispute over Medicaid reimbursement.

It's Beginning Already!!

Medicaid and medicare are different things.

I knew I did not like Walgreens for some reason.

btw 2 new drug stores have opened in my town in the last year.
That brings the total counting Krogers, wal mart and K mart to about 10 for a town of 15,000.

Perhaps they overexpand too much?

Medicare is for people 65 and older, medicaid is for younger poor people. I would not be too down on Walgreen's they are a company who employs hundreds of thousands of people who have health care benefits. They are entitled to re-payment from medicaid from the government. THEY EARNED IT. It's just a matter of time before all those others you mentioned will be dumping medicaid too. Then on to medicare.

Private insurance will never go broke. Executives making $billions, and charging ever increasing $ from their customers. It's fun to watch Cons who make $40,000. a year defending the "big boys", and gladly writing them bigger checks every year.

Maybe someone in the moderator section can DELETE this entire thread, otherwise my F'd'Up thread topic line will have comments forever :lol:
Sorry it was a error folks, my first, but an error none the less :lol:

That's O.K--sometimes we all do it. Anyway we're talking about Medicade--now in the article--& I don't know if anyone else noticed this but ME-- it states:

"In a news release, Walgreens said its decision to not take new Medicaid patients stemmed from a "continued reduction in reimbursement" under the state's Medicaid program, which reimburses it at less than the break-even point for 95 percent of brand-name medications dispensed to Medicaid patents."

Does this mean that "government" is spending more of our money for brand name prescription drugs--versus going with generic medications that are cheaper?

In another note--I really don't blame Walgreens for this. To keep their doors open they must make a profit to pay employees. Not rocket science here.

But--who I do blame is the pharmacutical industry who is responsible for driving medical insurance rates through the roof--with all of the new drugs they have pushed on us for the last several years. New pills for restless leg syndrome, all of the erectile dysfunction pills, pills for any new mental complaint from A to Z. So who's profiting? The pharmacutical industry that manufactures all this crap. Anthem/Blue Cross/Blue Shield gave me a 2 minute recorded message as to why my insurance rates increased 30% because of all these new pills.

Private insurance will never go broke. Executives making $billions, and charging ever increasing $ from their customers. It's fun to watch Cons who make $40,000. a year defending the "big boys", and gladly writing them bigger checks every year.

Again, it's not the insurance companies it's the pharmacutical industry in this country. I called Anthem/blue/cross/blue/shield a couple of months to ago to complain about my 30% increase. I listened to a 2 minute recorded apology--with the message that all of these new pills that the pharmactucial companies have been pushing on us for several years now have driven medical insurance rates through the ROOF. New pills for "restless leg syndrome"--erectile dysfunction pills, depression, & all kinds of new chronic medical complaints that even me at my age never even heard of.

Americans go running to their doctors to get a prescription for restless leg syndrome & guess what? It drives "your" insurance rates UP.

Now--what was that deal that Obama made with the pharmacutical companies over the health care bill. Anyone know about that one. I would sure like to know what it was.

Whatever it was. It will make them money.

You can take that right on down to the bank.

Forum List

Back