Virginia: Speed enforced by aircraft

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
When I was driving through Virginia on I-95 I saw signs that said, "Speed enforced by aircraft." I call BS. However I did understand what the signs meant. It meant not to speed.

Is this really possible? If so, how in the world does it work? Is it similar to the red light cams that mail you a ticket in the mail? Do they clock your speed and report it to a police on the ground? Does the aircraft swoop down and snatch your car off the highway like a vulture?

Does anybody here live in Virginia or another state that uses this technology? Is this an empty bluff?

Last edited:
When I was driving through Virginia on I-95 I saw signs that said, "Speed enforced by aircraft." I call BS. However I did understand what the signs meant. It meant not to speed.

Is this really possible? If so, how in the world does it work? Is it similar to the red light cams that mail you a ticket in the mail? Do they clock your speed and report it to a police on the ground? Does the aircraft swoop down and snatch your car off the highway like a culture?

Does anybody here live in Virginia or another state that uses this technology? Is this an empty bluff?
On Virginia and various States roads notice the 6 inch wide white across the roadbed then a little further down the road another 6 inch stripe. The State trooper in the aircraft uses a stopwatch and has a chart showing time and speed. If you go over their maximum allowance of speeding he'll contact a trooper on the ground who will give you the address to mail in the fine.

Really? Are they that stoneage? Anyway, seems to me if the traffic is so light such a system is viable then it is pure revenue gathering.

Is this really possible? If so, how in the world does it work? Is it similar to the red light cams that mail you a ticket in the mail? Do they clock your speed and report it to a police on the ground? Does the aircraft swoop down and snatch your car off the highway like a culture?

On Virginia and various States roads notice the 6 inch wide white across the roadbed then a little further down the road another 6 inch stripe. The State trooper in the aircraft uses a stopwatch and has a chart showing time and speed. If you go over their maximum allowance of speeding he'll contact a trooper on the ground who will give you the address to mail in the fine.

Who gets your license plate? The trooper in the aircraft or on the ground?

They enforced it with gatling guns and rockets.

Dudes. Drive the limit.

Who gets your license plate? The trooper in the aircraft or on the ground?
I think possibly the aircraft and if he doesn't merely radios the discription of the speeder. When I drive through Virginia I set the cruise control 5-10 miles over the limit.

I remember as a young kid in the 70's driving across country on family vacations, and the semi-drivers on the CB would announce radar warnings...helicopter was "bear in the air".:D

I do, too, hoss. I don't often drive from Utah to Texas, but when I do, it is between 80 and 90 outside of the build up areas.

They used to do that on I-5 in California, on that 300 mile stretch between Bakersfield and Sacramento. A very long stretch of nothing, so people really wanted to drive fast. I haven't been there in many years, so I don't know if they still do. The aircraft I saw were little Cessna type planes, not helicopters.

Really? Are they that stoneage?

I haven't travelled a lot so I don't know how many states use it. What are the more high tech methods?
I'd have thought if it was a high traffic safety issue a camera and a computer to keep track of multiple targets. But if it's just revenue gathering or justifying having an air component I can see any sort of make work will do.

Easy Ticket to get dismissed. Just Subpoena all maintenance records of the equipment used, certifications of the equipment as well as the aircraft. Pilots license and so forth.

When they read it they'll dismiss the ticket rather than pay all the money for records and overtime.

Easy Ticket to get dismissed. Just Subpoena all maintenance records of the equipment used, certifications of the equipment as well as the aircraft. Pilots license and so forth.

When they read it they'll dismiss the ticket rather than pay all the money for records and overtime.

That is fucking genius!!:clap:

Shoot. Even if it doesn't work it would still be a lot of fun.

Forum List

Back