~Vintage Niagara~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
I have never been to Niagara Falls, but I do enjoy old vintage photographs!
A friend had sent me this photo a long while back and I have kept it on my computer....I look at pictures of Niagara Falls now, and how nicely the water flows, and in this old timey photo, the water is frozen!
I think it's so neat, anyone else like to look at vintage photos??
I go to antique shops and purchase old Victorian photographs, single pics, and I even have 2 huge Victorian albums, that are filled with a lot of old photos.
Pretty neat, I love it :tongue:

Attachments

• $Vintage Niagara.jpg
    $Vintage Niagara.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 109
The vintage photos do NOT show you what it looks like TODAY.

Before we diverted water to create power plants Nigra falls was eroding at about 3 1/2 feet a year.

Then the erosion slowed down to about 2 feet a year.

Now they're messing with the flow to slow down the rate of erosiion to 1 foot a year.

Why?

Who the heck knows why?

Becuase somebody in power knows somebody with a company that can make a lot of money off the taxpayers, would be my guess.

Before we diverted water to create power plants Nigra falls was eroding at about 3 1/2 feet a year.

Now they're messing with the flow to slow down the rate of erosiion to 1 foot a year.

Why?

Who the heck knows why?

Becuase somebody in power knows somebody with a company that can make a lot of money off the taxpayers, would be my guess.

Tourism.

I have never been to Niagara Falls, but I do enjoy old vintage photographs!
A friend had sent me this photo a long while back and I have kept it on my computer....I look at pictures of Niagara Falls now, and how nicely the water flows, and in this old timey photo, the water is frozen!
I think it's so neat, anyone else like to look at vintage photos??
I go to antique shops and purchase old Victorian photographs, single pics, and I even have 2 huge Victorian albums, that are filled with a lot of old photos.
Pretty neat, I love it :tongue:

I was at the falls last year. The falls have moved 7 miles over thousands of years. We now control the flow over the falls and cut it down at noght and over the winter. The decreased flow allows it to freeze over in the winter

Why?

Who the heck knows why?

Tourism.

Doesn't really explain it.

The falls would still be there only it would be maybe a hundred feet or so more eroded if they hadn't started diversting water for power.

No this is a prettyy excellent example of PORK, I suspect.

Why?

Who the heck knows why?

Tourism.

Doesn't really explain it.

The falls would still be there only it would be maybe a hundred feet or so more eroded if they hadn't started diversting water for power.

No this is a prettyy excellent example of PORK, I suspect.

The Horseshoe falls are iconic. Over a hundred years they would not look the same.

The falls are also critical to the power grid of the northeast. Allowing nature to take its course would impact millions

We visited Niagra Falls in December of 2001. The hotel we stayed in had a magnificent view, but due to people not travelling much after 9/11, the hotel was practically empty. They moved us up to the top with a view of the falls. We had the best view in the world, and it is a spectacular place when you look right down on the mists rising. What a wonderful treat for our 30th wedding anniversary.

I'd never been there, and my husband planned the trip long before the 9/11 tragedy.

We visited Niagra Falls in December of 2001. The hotel we stayed in had a magnificent view, but due to people not travelling much after 9/11, the hotel was practically empty. They moved us up to the top with a view of the falls. We had the best view in the world, and it is a spectacular place when you look right down on the mists rising. What a wonderful treat for our 30th wedding anniversary.

I'd never been there, and my husband planned the trip long before the 9/11 tragedy.

Aw, sounds like you had a great time and it's awesome you were able to view from the top floor, good for you *smiles*

Forum List

Back