Videos of people "auditing" the police.

But once you realize it is not a gun you apologize and send them on their way…..That did not happen

Everything that happens in a police stop is 100% the choice of the person stopped. There is no way of knowing what a person did or said that isn't on the edited video you watched. No cop wants to arrest someone without a reason ... there is no point to it and the last thing any cop needs is more useless paperwork.

If you are arrested, and you don't agree that the arrest was lawful, make a complaint to your local authority.

Everything that happens in a police stop is 100% the choice of the person stopped. There is no way of knowing what a person did or said that isn't on the edited video you watched. No cop wants to arrest someone without a reason ... there is no point to it and the last thing any cop needs is more useless paperwork.

If you are arrested, and you don't agree that the arrest was lawful, make a complaint to your local authority.
oh bullshit,,

what video is edited??

LOL

Those cops created a shitload of useless paperwork, were suspended, reduced in rank and now their community faces a major lawsuit because the guy spent 26 hours in jail.

LOL

Those cops created a shitload of useless paperwork, were suspended, reduced in rank and now their community faces a major lawsuit because the guy spent 26 hours in jail.

The library guy?

Overdue book fines?

I've been watching videos of police interacting with the public. There are lots of such videos online. Here are a couple of examples.

There some people called "auditors" that go out of their way seeking interactions. Are such auditors doing a necessary service, or are they simply being assholes making life difficult for cops? What say you?

Most are just arseholes.

I've been watching videos of police interacting with the public. There are lots of such videos online. Here are a couple of examples.

There some people called "auditors" that go out of their way seeking interactions. Are such auditors doing a necessary service, or are they simply being assholes making life difficult for cops? What say you?

Well if you like having rights these people are doing you a service.

Well if you like having rights these people are doing you a service.
I can see both sides. For example, I have the right to video pretty much any public area where there is no expectation of privacy. That said, if I as a lone adult male go to a play ground at a public park and video kids without permission of their parents, I'm asking for trouble. I would have a first amendment right to do so, but I run a risk of being confronted by cops called to the scene assuming I don't get my ass kicked by angry parents first. Having a right to do something doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. That said, people should expect that their every move has the potential to be on camera when in public areas this day in age.

Last edited:
I can see both sides. For example, I have the right to video pretty much any public area where there is no expectation of privacy. That said, if I as a lone adult male go to a play ground at a public park and video kids without permission of their parents, I'm asking for trouble. I would have a first amendment right to do so, but I run a risk of being confronted by cops called to the scene assuming I don't get my ass kicked ab angry parents first. Having a right to do something doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. That said, people should expect that their every move has the potential to be on camera when in public areas this day in age.
people video tape children playing all the time,, cops do it constantly,,

I can see both sides. For example, I have the right to video pretty much any public area where there is no expectation of privacy. That said, if I as a lone adult male go to a play ground at a public park and video kids without permission of their parents, I'm asking for trouble. I would have a first amendment right to do so, but I run a risk of being confronted by cops called to the scene assuming I don't get my ass kicked by angry parents first. Having a right to do something doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. That said, people should expect that their every move has the potential to be on camera when in public areas this day in age.
These auditors are filming mainly government functions. Those are the people we have the most right to watch. We pay their salary. Ya, not a good idea filming other people's kids that is a different story. As far as I am concerned most these auditors are performing a service to us. Some of these videos are not auditors they are filming chance encounters with the police where the police are abusing their power. Videos are the best way to keep this in check. Where I spend most my time right now the cops do a good job and are reasonable to deal with. How ever when I spent a lot of time in Columbus Ohio those ass holes were power tripping ass holes. Surprised we don't see more videos from there.

That said, if I as a lone adult male go to a play ground at a public park and video kids without permission of their parents, I'm asking for trouble. I would have a first amendment right to do so, but I run a risk of being confronted by cops called to the scene assuming I don't get my ass kicked by angry parents first.

Here is where it pays to do your cop homework. It will vary from state to state, but most states have some sort of "Breach of Peace" or "Disorderly Conduct" law that will make it an offense to "act in an unreasonable manner" or "intentionally disturb another to disturb the peace". These statutes are intentionally vague and difficult to prosecute for just being NQR. But, they do provide for an offense.

Once an offense has been committed, even if there is no intent to prosecute, a police officer can detain a person for the purposes of confirming identity. Refusing to give identity under those conditions can get you arrested.

Someone looking for a cop confrontation would have no legal right to not give their identity under such circumstances and be the subject of a police report.

people video tape children playing all the time,, cops do it constantly,,
True, but if I were to go to the park playground, I sure I could get the police called on me if it looked like I were a stranger videoing children. Would I be an ass to stand up for my 1st amendment rights even if it were creeping out some of the parents? Cops would probably want to ID me to make sure I am not some pedophile and rightly so.

Here is where it pays to do your cop homework. It will vary from state to state, but most states have some sort of "Breach of Peace" or "Disorderly Conduct" law that will make it an offense to "act in an unreasonable manner" or "intentionally disturb another to disturb the peace". These statutes are intentionally vague and difficult to prosecute for just being NQR. But, they do provide for an offense.

Once an offense has been committed, even if there is no intent to prosecute, a police officer can detain a person for the purposes of confirming identity. Refusing to give identity under those conditions can get you arrested.

Someone looking for a cop confrontation would have no legal right to not give their identity under such circumstances and be the subject of a police report.
SCOTUS says a 1st amendment protected activity such as vidoeing anything in public is not probable cause of a crime and cant be used to detain someone

True, but if I were to go to the park playground, I sure I could get the police called on me if it looked like I were a stranger videoing children. Would I be an ass to stand up for my 1st amendment rights even if it were creeping out some of the parents? Cops would probably want to ID me to make sure I am not some pedophile and rightly so.
they can "want" all they want too,,

freedom doesnt come easy,,

SCOTUS says a 1st amendment protected activity such as vidoeing anything in public is not probable cause of a crime and cant be used to detain someone

You are right. You have the right to film. What you don't have, in most states, is the right to disturb people. That is an offense.

You can be charged with disturbing the peace if you're filming children in a park and you can, if you so wish, take that case all the way to The Supreme Court (good luck).

But, under law, you are still committing an offense and police have the right to confirm your identity.

You are right. You have the right to film. What you don't have, in most states, is the right to disturb people. That is an offense.

You can be charged with disturbing the peace if you're filming children in a park and you can, if you so wish, take that case all the way to The Supreme Court (good luck).

But, under law, you are still committing an offense and police have the right to confirm your identity.
filming in public cant be determined to be disturbing people since its a 1st A protected activity,,

its already been to SCOTUS more than once,,

Forum List

Back