Video Ads

I used to not worry much about ads, but they have grown increasingly intrusive over the years. After reading this topic I decided to try Adblock for Chrome. Not only did it get rid of all of those annoying ads, but it reduced the load times on a lot of websites, such as USMB. I know it's not the answer you were looking for, Sarah G, but I thought I'd throw it out there for other members.

There are ads here? :) Using Firefox I don't see anything I don't wanna. And if you're able to not using Firefox (as it'd seem if you're seeing ads) try limiting Script Permissions (or something to that effect) so only usmb's url can do so, deny everything else.) Cut my own page load times to one-third.
Same here. Firefox,Ad-blocker...no adze allowed!

05Z96.jpg

I don't mind looking at ads, they want you to look at them here. That one video just starts making noise every so often and I want to know why that is.

It doesn't matter why it makes a noise, but you have the choice to stop it. They may want you to look at ads, but that doesn't mean to say you should have to. I haven't seen any ads for two years with Chrome Adblock and neither do I get tracked with tracking suggestions. If there are features of Firefox and Chrome that you say aren't so good, just use FF or Chrome for logging into USMB. You can have more than one browser on your taskbar, so just pick the one with the Adblock for websites whose ads annoy you. It is such a simple thing to rectify, and no big deal really.

I did that a couple of weeks ago and now the problem has come back. Why don't you take your 1s and 0s and go bug somebody else?
I wasn't aware I was bugging you...just tryin' to help you out.

Which way did you come in?

And I appreciate help when it's offered but you seemed pretty angry about it.
Sorry about that, mam! It's just the way you see what I wrote. No anger implied. Just dismay.

My apologies for assuming that everybody should know the same things!

Here, let me rep you out!:eusa_angel:

Yep, that's what I'd do too. I never see any ads anywhere with Chrome and adblock. I also have IE on my computer. I don't use it for much but if I needed to I could. Sounds like a good solution. I've never seen any downsides to Chrome but to each their own.

There is some new video you all have added to some pages. It's a video ad and it automatically starts up and is affecting the quality of your website. The banner ads are also kind of slow loading.

Can you do something about creating these things so that they don't upload so slowly and also if we want to hear the video ad, let us play it on our own?

There are ads here? :) Using Firefox I don't see anything I don't wanna. And if you're able to not using Firefox (as it'd seem if you're seeing ads) try limiting Script Permissions (or something to that effect) so only usmb's url can do so, deny everything else.) Cut my own page load times to one-third.

I've tried FF and Chrome. There are features about both that aren't good. Why would I switch browsers because an ad shows up occasionally?

Wolf and Caroline, I did address your suggestions about Chrome and FF. Thanks but neither of those options are for me.

OK Sara, fair enough. I still hope it'll be helpful for someone else that wants to use it. Chrome works great for this site and never any ads.

But to each their own. Hope you get some help Sara.

Have a good one.

I just saw this video ad for the first time after hearing others talk about it. Don't know what changed.

And I'm using Chrome, so I went into "Tools/Extensions" and found AdBlock with a search.

When I went to try loading it, a window said,

"Add AdBlock?

It can
Access your data on all websites
Access your tabs and browsing activity"

Not sure I want Chrome accessing my data. Especially with Google's privacy track record. So I agree with Sarah -- this is not an option. May have to go to another browser.

Last edited:
You don't get any ads at all, anywhere on any site, with Google Chrome Ad-Block.

You know, I am not a donor to this site, and I have always been philosophically opposed to Ad-block, because that is how the web is run and makes it's revenue.

However, with the addition of these annoying auditory/video ads, if they continue or increase in frequency, I just may DL and add Ad-block to my browser. I'd recommend the owners get rid of the video/auditory ads. Those are the ones that push people to Ad-block. Seriously.

I have a friend that has been telling me how wonderful it is. But I often think that if everyone used it, then sites like USMB would have to charge a subscription fee to use their services.

On another site Im on (survivalistboards.com?styleid=1) people are angry about the videoads also...... Most ppl have ad-block installed and dont see them but some do not.......

You don't get any ads at all, anywhere on any site, with Google Chrome Ad-Block.

You know, I am not a donor to this site, and I have always been philosophically opposed to Ad-block, because that is how the web is run and makes it's revenue.

However, with the addition of these annoying auditory/video ads, if they continue or increase in frequency, I just may DL and add Ad-block to my browser. I'd recommend the owners get rid of the video/auditory ads. Those are the ones that push people to Ad-block. Seriously.

I have a friend that has been telling me how wonderful it is. But I often think that if everyone used it, then sites like USMB would have to charge a subscription fee to use their services.

I'm hearing them more often now. I have to say I don't listen to the content of them, I'm just irritated that they're coming on and scroll down to turn them off. They are as bad as the pop up ads ever were.

AdBlockPlus gets a big thumbs up from me.

No video ads, and if there is an occasional annoying sig or avi pic, you can block it with two clicks.

Hi,

For about a month, audio advertisements have started running in the back ground when I'm on this site. Has anyone else started hearing ads for Verizon or Ally Bank that start for no reason?

Hi,

For about a month, audio advertisements have started running in the back ground when I'm on this site. Has anyone else started hearing ads for Verizon or Ally Bank that start for no reason?

I started hearing ads just a week ago. Usually when I'm on this site I turn the volume all the way down, but last week I didn't do this and heard the ads. I couldn't find anyplace on the screen to disable the ad so I just turned the volume down.

Hi,

I started hearing ads just a week ago. Usually when I'm on this site I turn the volume all the way down, but last week I didn't do this and heard the ads. I couldn't find anyplace on the screen to disable the ad so I just turned the volume down.

Same exact thing happening to me.

Yeah there are a couple other threads about this.
I just keep my volume muted.

That helps with the intrusive way it jumps up out of nowhere, but it's still costing bandwidth to run a video -- let alone one I have absolutely positively no interest in whatsoever.

The site sure is working well. I haven't had any of the video ads start up in a few days and no lag. I don't know what you all did but try not to screw it up again. :D

I had been pretty much ignoring these things and just brushing them away with the mute button, but then I started hearing a commercial while I was doing audio work -- work I get paid for -- because USMB was minimized at the same time. Well that was unacceptable. At that point I went back to Opera browser so that I can run AdBlock (you can run it in Chrome but I don't trust Chrome's snooping) and now everything I do here is on Opera/AdBlock.

I don't know if they've been exterminated or not but I haven't heard an ad since.

I had been pretty much ignoring these things and just brushing them away with the mute button, but then I started hearing a commercial while I was doing audio work -- work I get paid for -- because USMB was minimized at the same time. Well that was unacceptable. At that point I went back to Opera browser so that I can run AdBlock (you can run it in Chrome but I don't trust Chrome's snooping) and now everything I do here is on Opera/AdBlock.

I don't know if they've been exterminated or not but I haven't heard an ad since.

It's nice right now, Pogo. Thanks for all your help and listening to my complaints. :D

@ Cereal Killer

Have the host site block a site with mathads in the title.

I just had a popup saying my computer blocked it.

Forum List

Back