Venezuela stumbles in bid for UN seat

Good call. Although Denmark is steadfast. I am not sure why. Maybe it is because they never would have held on to Greenland for this long if not for us. Australia might be our number one ally. They have been on the ground with us from day-one in Afghanistan and Iraq. I agree with your assessment of most East Euros. They remember what oppression is really like: they lived it for almost 50 years. If Kurdistan was a country (and it should be), they would make the "definite" list. With the advent of the Conservative Government in Canada, they are inching back toward the "definite" list. But America does not have much support in Eastern Canada.

I agree about Kurdistan. Also parts of Canada. Parts are very pro-American in outlook, most not. Then again, as Tracy has pointed out time and again, the population is small. The influence is much larger than the numbers.

Good points, Gunny. You raise an interesting question: what nations can America definitely depend on as allies? Here's my list and it is short:

Definite:
UK
Denmark
Poland
Georgia
Israel
Australia
Singapore
Taiwan
Japan

Maybes:
Canada (things have improved lately)
Norway
Italy
Ukraine
Jordon
Kuwait
India
Thailand
South Korea
New Jersey
California

No longer allies:
France
Belguim
Netherlands
Spain
Germany
Greece
Turkey

Never were allies:
Saudi Arabia
Pakistan
Mexico
Every country in South America
Every country in Africa

No need to mention:
Russia
China
Every Arabic speaking country, except Jordon

Why is India in maybe's ?? India is pushing forward for an alliance with America. We guys share almost all our intell with you (forget about 1998.I already said enough on that matter.). We have the same enemies. Are you thinking about the past as in the Cold War , Non Alignment and all that crap? I already said enough about it in my earlier posts! Do you think India's Muslims are joining Al Qaeda ? Let me put it in George Bush's words " Laura , India has about 200 million muslims and not even one of them has joined AL Qaeda !!" This was an actual quote by Bush while introducing PM Manmohan Singh to his wife! And Indians are one of the largest successful economic ethnic groups in the States. India has never interfered in U.S interests in Asia (except when you guys sell F-16 fighters to Pak). I could go on and on..but I will stop. Please could you explain why is India in maybe's?

Akshay

Why is India in maybe's ?? India is pushing forward for an alliance with America. We guys share almost all our intell with you (forget about 1998.I already said enough on that matter.). We have the same enemies. Are you thinking about the past as in the Cold War , Non Alignment and all that crap? I already said enough about it in my earlier posts! Do you think India's Muslims are joining Al Qaeda ? Let me put it in George Bush's words " Laura , India has about 200 million muslims and not even one of them has joined AL Qaeda !!" This was an actual quote by Bush while introducing PM Manmohan Singh to his wife! And Indians are one of the largest successful economic ethnic groups in the States. India has never interfered in U.S interests in Asia (except when you guys sell F-16 fighters to Pak). I could go on and on..but I will stop. Please could you explain why is India in maybe's?

Akshay
Aki, that's a very good point about the Muslim population of India. But you will have to admit that the US-Indian alliance is new. We will see how strong it is in the future. Australia, for example, backs the US even when it is not particularly in Australia's interest to do so. Will India be as close a friend as Australia? We will see.

Would Israel still be our ally if we stopped funneling them billions of our taxdollars every year without question?

Would Israel still be our ally if we stopped funneling them billions of our taxdollars every year without question?

Damn good question! America provides Patriot missiles to Israel to ward off any missile threat from Israel's Arab neighbours. Suppose you stopped supplying them with the Patriot's and stopped taking their side against Palestine,Iran or any other anti-Jewish nation on this planet it would be interesting to see if they would still support the States. I know I haven't given a clear cut answer to your question but I that's all I have to say.

Akshay

What do you mean without question? Israel gets military aid from the US to make sure that it can defeat any combination of Arab countries that attack it.

Damn good question! America provides Patriot missiles to Israel to ward off any missile threat from Israel's Arab neighbours. Suppose you stopped supplying them with the Patriot's and stopped taking their side against Palestine,Iran or any other anti-Jewish nation on this planet it would be interesting to see if they would still support the States. I know I haven't given a clear cut answer to your question but I that's all I have to say.
Akshay
Aki, if the US took the side of the Arabs or Persians in their confrontation with Israel, then we would be the enemy of Israel, not its ally. That is not going to happen.

Aki, if the US took the side of the Arabs or Persians in their confrontation with Israel, then we would be the enemy of Israel, not its ally. That is not going to happen.

I never said U.S should take the Arab side! I just asked what would be Israel's attitude towards America IF America stopped bothering with Isarel's battles against its neighbours!

Akshay

I'd shorten that definite list to:

UK
Israel
Japan
You know, Gunny, your list might be most accurate. The more I read about UK politics, the more I am convinced that even they should not be on the definite ally list; at least not much longer. When Blair leaves office, there is not a single politician trying for the job that does not seek greater distance from America. Even the Conservative Party in the UK wants to place more distance between the UK and America. But they are irrelevant anyway, since the next PM will probably be Labor's Gordon Brown, who is decidedly cool toward the US. Most British politicians sound a lot like Chicrac, who yesterday again called for the EU to drop its weapons ban on China. With friends like the EU, and France in particular, We need no enemies.

I never said U.S should take the Arab side! I just asked what would be Israel's attitude towards America IF America stopped bothering with Isarel's battles against its neighbours!
Akshay
I am not sure, Aki. What would your attitude be if your best friend of the last 58 years suddenly stopped helping you?

Forum List

Back