Variant Test?

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
I'm winding down from my second bout with Coivd (the first one was in November).

When I scheduled the test, there was nothing I saw online which discussed a test for the D variant. That got me thinking: If there's a test for it, is it being offered at, say, CVS and Walgreen's and if not, why not? But that also made me think that, if there's not a test for the D variant, how do they know when you have that and not just a real rockin' case of the good ol' generic Covid?

1628909181446.png

*****SMILE*****

:)

I'm winding down from my second bout with Coivd (the first one was in November).

When I scheduled the test, there was nothing I saw online which discussed a test for the D variant. That got me thinking: If there's a test for it, is it being offered at, say, CVS and Walgreen's and if not, why not? But that also made me think that, if there's not a test for the D variant, how do they know when you have that and not just a real rockin' case of the good ol' generic Covid?
Because you didn't get Covid twice. the same as you can't get the same cold twice. Your immune system would recognize anything remotely related to the first version.
You got something else.

Because you didn't get Covid twice. the same as you can't get the same cold twice. Your immune system would recognize anything remotely related to the first version.
You got something else.

Not so sure about that. I took the test for Covid. I sincerely doubt it's going to come up positive for Covid if it's something else. Something like that would completely destroy the validity and integrity of the Covid test.

These are my test results from the rapid test, received on August 4 (symptom onset was August 8):

2021-08-14.png

So my question remains: How do they know if you have the variant or not?

Canon Shooter The Delta variant is identified differently than original Covid. Typically random samples are taken from a population and then a lab does a "genomic sequencing" test on the samples. Then they come up with the percentage of the samples that had Delta variant. It doesn't sound like you or anyone will know if you had the Delta variant or the original strain from a positive test. This article was pretty informative.

Canon Shooter The Delta variant is identified differently than original Covid. Typically random samples are taken from a population and then a lab does a "genomic sequencing" test on the samples. Then they come up with the percentage of the samples that had Delta variant. It doesn't sound like you or anyone will know if you had the Delta variant or the original strain from a positive test. This article was pretty informative.

Thanks.

Seems odd to me that, if the virus is different (which, by definition a "variant" would be), why can't they develop a test for it?

Not so sure about that. I took the test for Covid. I sincerely doubt it's going to come up positive for Covid if it's something else. Something like that would completely destroy the validity and integrity of the Covid test.

These are my test results from the rapid test, received on August 4 (symptom onset was August 8):

View attachment 525495

So my question remains: How do they know if you have the variant or not?
Was it a PCR? Did you enquire on the number of cycles? You were probably not told the specific variant because that lab didn't, or couldn't test for it.

I know one thing it couldn't POSSIBLY be... a summer flu. Those all disappeared. No one gets influenza anymore.

Funny how we all just completely forgot 150 years of accumulated science once Covid showed up.

Was it a PCR? Did you enquire on the number of cycles? You were probably not told the specific variant because that lab didn't, or couldn't test for it.

I got the rapid test this time (lab test last time). I know that there have been a lot of reports of false positives with that but, I figured since I was feeling like shit, I'd just accept it. I just don't think it would be anything other than Covid, seeing as it's a test which, ostensibly, only tests for Covid. If it would show a positive for Covid when it's something else, that would pretty much unravel the validity of the testing...

I know one thing it couldn't POSSIBLY be... a summer flu. Those all disappeared. No one gets influenza anymore.

Funny how we all just completely forgot 150 years of accumulated science once Covid showed up.

Yeah, Covid seems to have cured the flu AND the common cold...

I got the rapid test this time (lab test last time). I know that there have been a lot of reports of false positives with that but, I figured since I was feeling like shit, I'd just accept it. I just don't think it would be anything other than Covid, seeing as it's a test which, ostensibly, only tests for Covid. If it would show a positive for Covid when it's something else, that would pretty much unravel the validity of the testing...

Yeah, Covid seems to have cured the flu AND the common cold...
It's all good dude. Hope you're feelin better.

Forum List

Back