USMB Coffee Shop IV

I suspect Lady Foxfire is a secret tea drinker.

View attachment 768357
Nope. The first one up in the morning puts the coffee pot on and usually is filling his or her coffee cup even before the coffee maker finishes up. The second heads for the coffee pot sometimes before even saying good morning. :)

I do try to avoid caffeine in the evenings though so do sometimes enjoy herbal teas then.

Alas Starbuck's cheapest plain coffee is runs more than $2 up to $4 something for a large. And if you get into the more fancy blends, cappuccinos, lattes you're looking at well over $5 for even a medium. Makes boedicca 's cappuccino machines look like a very good investment. :)

So we just use our trusty old Mr. Coffee machine to brew Folger's or Maxwell House--whichever is on sale--and enjoy a pretty darn good cup of coffee.

Alas Starbuck's cheapest plain coffee is runs more than $2 up to $4 something for a large. And if you get into the more fancy blends, cappuccinos, lattes you're looking at well over $5 for even a medium. Makes boedicca 's cappuccino machines look like a very good investment. :)

So we just use our trusty old Mr. Coffee machine to brew Folger's or Maxwell House--whichever is on sale--and enjoy a pretty darn good cup of coffee.

No matter what one's brew preference may be, making coffee at home is much less expensive than drinking cafe/shop made beverages. I did a cost benefit analysis years ago that showed I saved at least 67% with coffee, milk and maintenance costs included.

Last edited:
No matter what one's brew preference, making coffee at home is much less expensive than drinking cafe/shop made beverages. I did a cost benefit analysis years ago that showed I saved at least 67% with coffee, milk and maintenance costs included.
And since we brew our own entirely unfancy whatever is on sale coffee, I'm pretty sure we probably save more. :)

Hey everybody, wazzup. With my diet changes I've been moving to low(er) fat dairy products and so far I've liked them. Until I decided to try the low fat sour cream....... Good thing I bought a small container to try it out first cause it's just nasty. Maybe I can use what's left in recipes.........

Hey everybody, wazzup. With my diet changes I've been moving to low(er) fat dairy products and so far I've liked them. Until I decided to try the low fat sour cream....... Good thing I bought a small container to try it out first cause it's just nasty. Maybe I can use what's left in recipes.........

I found the perfect recipe for low fat sour cream! Mix it with the steamed zucchini and throw it all out of the window.

h/t Sylvia

Fat consumption at our house is whatever is contained in lean cuts of meat and poultry, eggs, a bit of butter for flavor here and there, cheddar cheese, and otherwise almost exclusively flax oil (I use that in our smoothies), flax seed freshly ground (also used in our smoothies), coconut oil which is mostly used in our popcorn popper, olive oil . A few other products like milk, cottage cheese, and such we do buy the lower fat offerings. Fat free whipped Kool whip-type toppings have so far worked in my recipes that call for that.

And while we do keep processed foods to a minimum these days of course there are small amounts of fat in many veggies, canned tomato sauce etc.

Oh we do indulge in a couple slices of bacon on our BLT or whatever now and then. My personal theory is that it isn't so much the amount of fat we eat but the kinds of fat we eat so we opt for healthier fats but aren't fanatical about it. Nevertheless even the healthiest fats are rich in calories so we keep the proportion of fat in our diet at about 30%.

Last edited:
336401005_542766951175088_195371093223168806_n.jpg
7.jpeg

Fat consumption at our house is whatever is contained in lean cuts of meat and poultry, eggs, a bit of butter for flavor here and there, cheddar cheese, and otherwise almost exclusively flax oil (I use that in our smoothies), flax seed freshly ground (also used in our smoothies), coconut oil which is mostly used in our popcorn popper, olive oil . A few other products like milk, cottage cheese, and such we do buy the lower fat offerings. Fat free whipped Kool whip-type toppings have so far worked in my recipes that call for that.

Oh we do indulge in a couple slices of bacon on our BLT or whatever now and then. My personal theory is that it isn't so much the amount of fat we eat but the kinds of fat we eat. Nevertheless even the healthiest fat are rich in calories so we keep the proportion of fat in our diet at about 30%.
I'm doing it as an addition. What is working even better is I began forcing myself not to eat lots of junk and having at least 2 fairly healthy meals per day with no seconds. Bacon is my favorite so I eat it only rarely, I could sit down and eat 2 pounds of cooked bacon in one meal........, all too easily........ For my butter I mix 2 sticks of salted butter with about 8 or 9/10s of canola oil, cuts the saturated fats and salt down to almost half. Switching to 2% milk was easy as I have never been a fan of milk. the only way I could drink it before was filling a glass with ice then pouring the whole milk over it and let it sit for a minute.
I still have my occasional greasy cheeseburger and occasional pizza but that's becoming even more rare. I also rarely eat potatoes any more as I only like them covered in bacon grease, butter, sour cream and salt. I don't remember the last time I had potato chips which is my all time favorite comfort "food".
Combined with exercise I'm down already almost 20 pounds from my all time high which I won't divulge......... :omg:

I'm doing it as an addition. What is working even better is I began forcing myself not to eat lots of junk and having at least 2 fairly healthy meals per day with no seconds. Bacon is my favorite so I eat it only rarely, I could sit down and eat 2 pounds of cooked bacon in one meal........, all too easily........ For my butter I mix 2 sticks of salted butter with about 8 or 9/10s of canola oil, cuts the saturated fats and salt down to almost half. Switching to 2% milk was easy as I have never been a fan of milk. the only way I could drink it before was filling a glass with ice then pouring the whole milk over it and let it sit for a minute.
I still have my occasional greasy cheeseburger and occasional pizza but that's becoming even more rare. I also rarely eat potatoes any more as I only like them covered in bacon grease, butter, sour cream and salt. I don't remember the last time I had potato chips which is my all time favorite comfort "food".
Combined with exercise I'm down already almost 20 pounds from my all time high which I won't divulge......... :omg:
Since our son's terrifying heart attack episode less than a year ago he has gone on a low fat diet and almost salt free diet. He said it was awful at first, but after a few weeks, he was actually tasting the food that he missed with all the salt and fat and now prefers it that way. He's down almost 75 pounds from his all time high which he said was north of 330 lbs. He is 6'2" and large framed so he can carry a lot of weight but not that much. He is looking so much better and says he feels so much better.

Of course when he and the family come, I now have to cook lower fat, salt free for him so that figures into my recipe modifications that I also use for our dinner guests who are diabetics, suffer with GERD, IBS, allergies, Celiacs, dietary taboos, and strong dislikes. My kitchen is something of a science lab.

We all do love bacon though. A guilty pleasure for us for sure. And we do occasionally buy a bag of potato chips to go with those BLTs but we make a bag last a long time now.

Last edited:
Maybe find a recipe for turning low fat sour cream into regular sour cream? I'm thinking add a much larger container of regular sour cream.

I don’t like those low fat versions, so I use Greek Yogurt or, I decide for that moment, it will be the real thing. ☺️

No matter what one's brew preference may be, making coffee at home is much less expensive than drinking cafe/shop made beverages. I did a cost benefit analysis years ago that showed I saved at least 67% with coffee, milk and maintenance costs included.
I was in the habit of buying Starbucks white chocolate mochas, then I found white chocolate syrup at the store and just add it to my coffee with some half and half and it is a fraction of what I was paying.

Forum List

Back