USA v Thailand Women's Soccer

Why is the Women’s soccer team so easy to hate?

Because, for the most part, the sport at the top is filled with arrogance and privilege.

It's a rich kids sport. Shockingly expensive to excel in.
Basic Sportsmanship

You do not rub it in on an opponent who is inferior to you

The celebrations on an overmatched opponent were an embarrassment

I coached women's soccer for almost two decades at the club level, I've been on both sides of games like that. When you are on the wrong side of it, it's your job as a coach to teach your kids about not giving up, and about how to lose gracefully. It's also an opportunity for your team to learn. You want them to think; "Someday, with practice and effort, I can play like that." I have told my teams when we were on either side of it that it isn't the winning teams job to stop scoring. Lol, try to get a young kid to pass up a chance to score a goal.

I agree with you in so much as you never quit, you never expect the other team to show mercy.

That said, if you are the team on top, you take the high road. My daughter's coaches at the club level and high school level often put a govern on her. It was the right thing to do.
But those weren't World Cup.

I find it interesting that the posters who are against "participation trophies for all" are now upset about the U.S. kicking some ass. Probably because it was women. Some guys can't stand that.

Because you quoted my post and I am one of those who are against participation trophies, I am happy to point out that I fully support our team thrashing Thailand.

I coached women's soccer for almost two decades at the club level, I've been on both sides of games like that. When you are on the wrong side of it, it's your job as a coach to teach your kids about not giving up, and about how to lose gracefully. It's also an opportunity for your team to learn. You want them to think; "Someday, with practice and effort, I can play like that." I have told my teams when we were on either side of it that it isn't the winning teams job to stop scoring. Lol, try to get a young kid to pass up a chance to score a goal.

I agree with you in so much as you never quit, you never expect the other team to show mercy.

That said, if you are the team on top, you take the high road. My daughter's coaches at the club level and high school level often put a govern on her. It was the right thing to do.

I find it interesting that the posters who are against "participation trophies for all" are now upset about the U.S. kicking some ass. Probably because it was women. Some guys can't stand that.

Quick question, how do you know who is against participation trophies?

---------------------------------------

I reached out to my daughter who plays at this level and has competed in World Cup and Olympic qualifying rounds, her opinion of the score and celebrations, "awful, disrespectful and unnecessary."

I raised her right. This is the correct takeaway from that spectacle.

She's a lefty. She believes at least two things absolutely: 1. That whatever she says about the right is true simply because she says it, and 2. Whatever dumb thing one conservative does equals all conservatives are exactly like that.

Because you quoted my post and I am one of those who are against participation trophies, I am happy to point out that I fully support our team thrashing Thailand.

Participation trophies are more a fable than anything.

I do believe some may be given to 5 year olds but personally I have never seen them given out.

My youngest has roughly 100 trophies, medals or plaques, all earned.

I do believe some may be given to 5 year olds but personally I have never seen them given out.

USMB gives Participation Trophies

OH and BTW, teh disgusting display of poor sportsmanship was far worse than any participation trophy ever given.

I just thought you should know.

Back to subject, I was shocked to see Jamaica lose today to Italy by such a big score.

Jamaica is not a bad team.

what is USMB? A branch of the military?

what is USMB? A branch of the military?

One of the biggest internet companies in the world

If they aren’t trophies from championships or tournaments and don’t say “1st Place” or “2nd Place”, face it, they are participation trophies.

OH and BTW, teh disgusting display of poor sportsmanship was far worse than any participation trophy ever given.

I just thought you should know.

Back to subject, I was shocked to see Jamaica lose today to Italy by such a big score.

Jamaica is not a bad team.

Apples and oranges. Participation trophies have nothing at all to do with bad sportsmanship.

If they aren’t trophies from championships or tournaments and don’t say “1st Place” or “2nd Place”, face it, they are participation trophies.

So being "chosen" MVP of tournaments, being selected the best player in the state, being awarded the best athlete in your school, being chose one of the top 72 players in the country are all participation awards?

You are an idiot.

So being "chosen" MVP of tournaments, being selected the best player in the state, being awarded the best athlete in your school, being chose one of the top 72 players in the country are all participation awards?

You are an idiot.

You make a point. Those trophies you listed are not participation trophies. But I’m sure you knew exactly what I was talking about. You knew it wasn’t those trophies.

Almost half time between Sweden and Thailand...same score as USA and Thailand at half...3-0. Sweden poor sports too?

3-0 you can still celebrate
Let’s see if Sweden acts like assholes if they go up 10-0

US Lezzies thrash Thais then flash White supremacist sign
14666256-7130947-Rapinoe_celebrated_after_winning_the_France_2019_Women_s_World_C-a-5_1560337455999.jpg

Forum List

Back