US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

Who's going to make sure the kid is actually sitting there learning each day while the parent(s) are at work?
How about live online cameras in every classroom so parents
can watch what their kids are doing in school on their phones ?

www.spyonyourkids.com
That's what "live" teachers are for.
And it may be part of the reason approximately 1,770,000 students are home-schooled - U.S. Department of Education: Homeschooling Continues to Grow! *in the United States.
(* from 2013? probably more since then)

Last edited:
I am surprised we have not moved to an online model. Same class online for everyone no matter whether you live in a poor or a rich district. You may rewind, FF or pause, and ask questions of teachers and fellow students online. The brick and mortar schooling should be a thing of the past
Who's buying those poor kids a computer and wifi at home? Textbooks and materials? Who's going to make sure the kid is actually sitting there learning each day while the parent(s) are at work? We have an online alternative high school option here in Maine, but it is not something to just glibly jump into. It takes commitment by the student and the parents.

You don't need books. You're online. Who doesn't have WiFi? If you have cable you have WiFi. Instead of being negative why not look at the positive aspects?
There are still quite a few folks that don't have the internet; internet is NOT free with basic cable service, you know. A lot have only a phone, not a computer. I have some students that don't even have a phone. In order to be the ONLY option, EVERYONE would have to have the necessary tools.

If you are talking about it being an option, that's different, and probably if parents are willing to stay home and make sure their kids are actually doing their school time, it will be used more and more.

NEVER said only option but it should be an option.
Just about every college and university and even training institution is offering on-line classes now. It's fantastic when you live in the back of nowhere, like I do. The reason it is not being done with K-12 so much yet is that it requires heavy parental buy-in and like I said before, most parents are working.

Teachers should not be babysitters

Essentially subsidizing underfunded schools,teachers in the US spend an average of $459 on classroom supplies for which they are not reimbursed.

Subsidizing Underfunded Schools, US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

That being said, they have it relatively better than a lot of people in terms of benefits
and other public union advantages.

174289-21898.png

Then they are stupid. At my district, one week before school starts in the elementary schools the teachers receive school supply packs. One per kid. What ever is left over go's up for when it's needed. Almost every church around here gives school supplies away, as well as back packs for the kids. Then you have the kids who have responsible parents who buy all the supplies on the list, the teacher keeps those to. So bullshit. Those kids have what they need.
It can add up over the year when you want to do something fun or different. Buying Hershey's Kisses for a math class or buying craft board to make a big wall poster or order something particularly helpful online. Throwing a pizza party to thank a really hard working class. Teachers do that stuff. It's not so much about buying pencils and pens.

Yup they do do that. And when it's pizza time they send notes home to the kids parents that their child will need to bring $20.00 for Pizza day. School districts have all sorts of ways to run scams and are as corrupt as Chicago politicians. Truth be told, individual teachers buy very little where I work. Each school in the district has a budget of their own just for things like pizza day, field trips and such. This is why kids who can't bring $$ typically get to participate even though they can't or don't pay. That's just elementary school. Junior high and high schools here are alittle different, but the kids don't hurt for supplies unless they and or their parents are very lazy.
I've never taught at a school with that kind of bucks or in a community that donated so much. Those are averages, remember.

I'm not a teacher. I'm just a maintenance guy. You are right though, what I see here is HERE, but in all the places I have ever lived getting school supplies has never been an issue. When I was a young parent the church by our house got folks (my self included) backpacks, supplies and uniforms. Like I said, it's more on the parents, and the kids when they get older. Never an excuse to not have what you need for school in this country. Lots of charity here.
Awesome. I wonder how we brag about the greatest economy ever, with everyone working and shit, when we have to donate kids' pencils and backpacks? Are we sure things are so great?
No one was donating that kind of stuff when I went to school. If kids were that needy in some school districts, I'm sure the school supplied that stuff. That was when the economy was ACTUALLY cooking with gas.

Who's buying those poor kids a computer and wifi at home? Textbooks and materials? Who's going to make sure the kid is actually sitting there learning each day while the parent(s) are at work? We have an online alternative high school option here in Maine, but it is not something to just glibly jump into. It takes commitment by the student and the parents.

You don't need books. You're online. Who doesn't have WiFi? If you have cable you have WiFi. Instead of being negative why not look at the positive aspects?
There are still quite a few folks that don't have the internet; internet is NOT free with basic cable service, you know. A lot have only a phone, not a computer. I have some students that don't even have a phone. In order to be the ONLY option, EVERYONE would have to have the necessary tools.

If you are talking about it being an option, that's different, and probably if parents are willing to stay home and make sure their kids are actually doing their school time, it will be used more and more.

Just about every college and university and even training institution is offering on-line classes now. It's fantastic when you live in the back of nowhere, like I do. The reason it is not being done with K-12 so much yet is that it requires heavy parental buy-in and like I said before, most parents are working.

Do you have children?

Who's going to make sure the kid is actually sitting there learning each day while the parent(s) are at work?

www.spyonyourkids.com
And it may be part of the reason approximately 1,770,000 students are home-schooled - U.S. Department of Education: Homeschooling Continues to Grow! *in the United States.
I'm not following.

Awesome. I wonder how we brag about the greatest economy ever, with everyone working and shit, when we have to donate kids' pencils and backpacks? Are we sure things are so great?
No one was donating that kind of stuff when I went to school. If kids were that needy in some school districts, I'm sure the school supplied that stuff. That was when the economy was ACTUALLY cooking with gas.
Back when we manufactured our own pencils and backpacks ? Ironic isn't it that China now makes half our stuff and graduates the smartest children ? A complete paradigm shift in 100 years.

Do you have children?

Two

While I understand the problem of teachers spending money on supplies, I spent almost $4000 on supplies for my job last year. Just sayin.

Was that for more training so you can get promoted or what? What is the nature of your job if you don't mind me asking?

We never get anything out of spending that money on our own supplies yearly for ourselves, except poorer. I mean in terms of our OWN gain.
Sorry, I meant that somewhat tongue in cheek. I have some very close friends who are teachers and my propensity for giving them a good natured ribbing slipped out.

Except that many schools are now filled with people off the street no where near teachers. Because the profession is completely demoralized. Rather like law enforcement.

But whatever, funny joke.

Perhaps there wouldn't be such a problem, Sue if our education system wasn't dominated by liberals. I got out of teaching almost 40 years ago because I couldn't stand the bullshit. It's gotten worse since then and you know I'm right! Why would a conservative choose teaching as a profession these days? I wouldn't...

Do you have children?
That was our limit. After our second son was born, her exact words were
"I'm never doing this shit again." She had her tubes tied the next day, and from the look in her eyes when she said that , I was not going to argue one tiny peep. ( 2 was enough for me anyway)

Last edited:

www.spyonyourkids.com
I'm not following.
That was misleading. There are several different circumstances
related to why more and more parents are keeping their kids at home.

So the two comments after your OP were "BS" and "teachers are crybaby losers". Ok. I my county there are almost 300 teacher openings. In some parts of the US there are even more. I just read an article about a woman teaching HS math and science on an "emergency certificate" for $15 an hour. She doesn't care what is taught and learned. She just wants to "love the kids".

I mean are we going to throw such a hissy fit for the ages about "government schools" that we do this? Well I guess we are.

My fellow conservatives can be disgusting sometimes, and also, terribly insulated.
-------------------------------- I also say BS but point out that so called highly educated teachers should be aware of the way that things are in the teaching perfession before they beg for jobs as teachers SSue92 .

America doesn't value education. Large swaths of this country think that teachers are evil communists.
------------------------------ might be Communists but many young female teachers are lovers of young 'student cack' so they are pedophiles and molesters Augie .

Then they are stupid. At my district, one week before school starts in the elementary schools the teachers receive school supply packs. One per kid. What ever is left over go's up for when it's needed. Almost every church around here gives school supplies away, as well as back packs for the kids. Then you have the kids who have responsible parents who buy all the supplies on the list, the teacher keeps those to. So bullshit. Those kids have what they need.
It can add up over the year when you want to do something fun or different. Buying Hershey's Kisses for a math class or buying craft board to make a big wall poster or order something particularly helpful online. Throwing a pizza party to thank a really hard working class. Teachers do that stuff. It's not so much about buying pencils and pens.

Yup they do do that. And when it's pizza time they send notes home to the kids parents that their child will need to bring $20.00 for Pizza day. School districts have all sorts of ways to run scams and are as corrupt as Chicago politicians. Truth be told, individual teachers buy very little where I work. Each school in the district has a budget of their own just for things like pizza day, field trips and such. This is why kids who can't bring $$ typically get to participate even though they can't or don't pay. That's just elementary school. Junior high and high schools here are alittle different, but the kids don't hurt for supplies unless they and or their parents are very lazy.
I've never taught at a school with that kind of bucks or in a community that donated so much. Those are averages, remember.

I'm not a teacher. I'm just a maintenance guy. You are right though, what I see here is HERE, but in all the places I have ever lived getting school supplies has never been an issue. When I was a young parent the church by our house got folks (my self included) backpacks, supplies and uniforms. Like I said, it's more on the parents, and the kids when they get older. Never an excuse to not have what you need for school in this country. Lots of charity here.

That's how it is now. We was young and broke. But even the kids who can have there parents buy the stuff on the list, the supplies are all taken up and rolled out to other students as needed.

Back when we manufactured our own pencils and backpacks ? Ironic isn't it that China now makes half our stuff and graduates the smartest children ? A complete paradigm shift in 100 years.
Do I want to suggest that maybe we should look at what they're doing right? Just look at it? See if there are ideas we can borrow, like valuing education instead of spending all our time tearing our schools apart, like these threads every day?

www.spyonyourkids.com
I'm not following.
That was misleading. There are several different circumstances
related to why more and more parents are keeping their kids at home.
Yes, many. It can be done well. I have nothing against it, but it's kind of sad that more and more people are finding the schools inacceptable.

Yes, many. It can be done well. I have nothing against it, but it's kind of sad that more and more people are finding the schools inacceptable.
We have more new prisons than schools in the last few decades.
And many prison guards earn a better living than teachers.
Well, our population is not growing, so we wouldn't need more schools, would we? I know about the prison guard thing--my son is one and yes he makes more than me. Always has. But I like my job a lot more than he likes his.

We have more new prisons than schools in the last few decades.
And many prison guards earn a better living than teachers.
--------------------------------- probably just the way things should be . Teachers know the rates of pay when they volunteer , beg for their jobs Angelo . Or just let teacher become Prison Guards ANGELO .

Well, our population is not growing, so we wouldn't need more schools, would we? I know about the prison guard thing--my son is one and yes he makes more than me. Always has. But I like my job a lot more than he likes his.
Hope it doesn't take a toll on him emotionally or psychologically too much.
My wife's best friend's husband just retired from a Texas federal prison at 49 years old and committed suicide a year later. Had it all ! A beautiful wife who's a nurse, 2 daughters, a granddaughter, full benefits from TDC, a nice brick home with a swimming pool, a bunch of money saved up and - bam out of the blue his youngest daughter comes home and finds him on the living room recliner with his handgun and brains blown out. Caught everyone completely off guard.

He told me one time you can't let them ( the inmates) get inside your head but they do. Seeing people who were in when he started and still in there when he retired broke his heart- he felt helpless and almost guilty for getting to walk out and go home every night. ( or day )

Last edited:
Here's one for a fellow conservative:

Average base public school pay: $49 ish
Average base private school pay: $36 ish

But somehow, yeah magically, all the BEST teachers are in the private schools.

Sure they are, yep. Nevermind those free market principles....

ETA: Private School Teacher Pay Scale

Specifically, what is your point?

I teach adults but have never taught children and have never had a desire to do so.

Why would a teacher prefer teaching in a private school as opposed to a public school? Simple, discipline and working conditions.

You realize the working conditions in private schools can be worse

Forum List

Back